Would it be wrong to force a rule onto someone else?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm the only one here that cannot answer the thread's title.
I suppose I should focus more on fixing my psychological state than asking obscure questions anyway.

I don't think it's obscure or a bad question, I just think the answer depends on who is being forced and to what end.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it's obscure or a bad question, I just think the answer depends on who is being forced and to what end.
What makes you say that? If it's acceptable in any scenario then the answer to the thread title would be no.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What makes you say that? If it's acceptable in any scenario then the answer to the thread title would be no.

no, forcing certain rules is not the same as forcing all rules on others. plus it depends on why the rule is being forced.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the question is - is it ALWAYS wrong to force a rule one someone - the answer is no. Sometimes it is necessary and good.

If the question is - is it sometimes wrong to force a rule on someone - the answer is yes. Some rules could be wrong and compulsion is certainly not always warranted.

It depends on what you are asking. What rule, what person(s), and what context? We have principles to go by in order to make those determinations. Love (what is best for persons) is always the primary guiding principle.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the question is - is it ALWAYS wrong to force a rule one someone - the answer is no. Sometimes it is necessary and good.

If the question is - is it sometimes wrong to force a rule on someone - the answer is yes. Some rules could be wrong and compulsion is certainly not always warranted.

It depends on what you are asking. What rule, what person(s), and what context? We have principles to go by in order to make those determinations. Love (what is best for persons) is always the primary guiding principle.
I cannot think of any scripture that would indicate authority is wrong. The Israelites were totally lacking authority when they were worshipping bulls and having orgies.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I cannot think of any scripture that would indicate authority is wrong. The Israelites were totally lacking authority when they were worshipping bulls and having orgies.
I didn't say authority was wrong.

I said some rules, or compulsion could be wrong.

The laws that demanded people worship the statue of the king were wrong. To compel someone into the faith would be wrong.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say authority was wrong.

I said some rules, or compulsion could be wrong.

The laws that demanded people worship the statue of the king were wrong. To compel someone into the faith would be wrong.
I wasn't saying that you did say authority was wrong. I really cannot think of any scripture that would give anyone the idea that authority is inherently evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why is it wrong to compel someone into the faith? Is this strictly Orthodox?

Strictly speaking, a person can't really be compelled to any belief or faith. The best that might be hoped for is that they could convince themselves of it.

It is wrong to show up with a gun and tell someone "have saving faith in Christ or I will kill you". Even if they assented to whatever you said, that doesn't mean they have real faith. It just means they are placating you so they don't get killed.

If a person was compelled to faith, it wouldn't be true faith. It is wrong to try to do this.

God gives us the dignity of freely choosing to cooperate with His grace, or not. We can't remove that freedom (at least not productively).

That would be an immoral example of forcing a type of rule on someone.

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tell that to Calvinists.
It's not a sin to be a soldier, so that answers that question. I don't feel bothered by it as much.
What Calvinists believe or don't believe has absolutely no bearing on what we teach and know to be true.

Calvinists at an extreme embrace a double predestination by which I've seen at least one who turned away seekers telling them they were obviously not elect and so destined to burn in hell for eternity and nothing they could do about it.

No, whatever they believe or don't believe means nothing to us, except that we are happy for whatever various kinds of denominations do happen to get right.

Upvote 0