• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would it be wrong to force a rule onto someone else?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Jackson Cooper, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I read the FB site a bit. I don't really understand exactly everything they are promoting, but I think I get the gist of it.

Basically I think it is the model of government they object to. It looks like maybe they idealize and hope for the kind of society that can only happen under the reign of Christ. His Kingdom is not yet come though. Right now we have sin, we have imperfect men in charge, and no government or legal system set in place by men will ever be perfect. This much is true. But as much as we might want the world to be as Christ would rule, that isn't going to happen until Christ returns.

In the meantime, we pray for our leaders. If we are privileged to vote, we vote our Christian conscience. We do whatever God sets before us to do to make things as good as possible.

"Christian anarchists" is kind of a contradiction though. Christ told us to obey our leaders who are in authority over us, as long as they don't contradict God. We are supposed to obey laws and pay taxes. To promote the opposite in the name of Christ is not following Christ's words.

If we are not careful, we can become confused listening to the wrong voices.

2. Christie insb

Christie insb Well-Known Member

+368
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Ah, well. Good luck with that, people. I actually didn't read what you posted except to see the words "Christian" and "anarchist" on the se page but I hope to read more after I eat something.

3. Christie insb

Christie insb Well-Known Member

+368
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I am very confused. Why would someone ask a question about Protestant beliefs in the Greek Orthodox section? Why would the OP title his thread "Would it be wrong" seeming to invite discussion? And last but not least what is a TAW?

4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    well, it can invite discussion, but on here it should be for Orthodox. and TAW is The Ancient Way, our Orthodox forum on here.

and yeah, it is an odd thread.

5. Jackson Cooper

Jackson Cooper "Nature does nothing in vain." -Aristotle.

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I suspect my extreme lack of confidence makes me susceptible to false ideologies.

6. ~Anastasia~

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    In that case, with all due respect, if it were me, I would take even more extreme care whose views I read. It might be better to decide who is trustworthy and simply never listen to those who aren't.

7. ArmyMatt

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    many prayers for you, but I think that shows this should go to your Confessor

8. fat wee robin

fat wee robin Newbie

+576
    Christian
    Private
    Facebook !!:idea:^_^:idea:^_^

9. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I'm quite disappointed in myself for not realizing sooner that God had judges enforce the law of Moses on people. John the Baptist told centurions to continue being centurions. They're just another pseudo-Christian cult.

10. ArmyMatt

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    what?

11. ~Anastasia~

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes it doesn't look to me like they follow Christian principles. No need to beat yourself up but it's good you remember Scriptural support that denies that kind of group.

But you might want to be in closer contact with your priest, and be careful who you listen to otherwise. While I've got good friends on FB who post wonderful things, it can also be one of the most confusing places to try to encounter Orthodoxy online. Your priest is much MUCH safer. Maybe he can suggest some good reading material for you to build you up and encourage you in the meantime?

God be with you.

12. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    God had judges enforce laws on people, so it is not sinful to do so.

13. ArmyMatt

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yes, but that is by God's providence. which makes me wonder why that would be disappointing

14. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Why would it be disappointing?

15. ArmyMatt

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I dunno, you said you were and then brought up something about pseudo-Christian cults

16. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    No, I was disappointed in myself for not realizing sooner how anti-Christian the idea of lawlessness is.
    "In the same way, on the outside you seem righteous to people, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness." (Matthew 23:28).

17. ArmyMatt

+5,336
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    ah, gotcha. sorry for the missread

18. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Sorry to bug you, but I have been greatly bothered by this nearly every hour of every day for at least a month now. I believe I have a mental illness. I just cannot stop thinking and pondering about this question.

19. ~Anastasia~

+9,949
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No need to apologize.

It is something you are still troubled by?

It was probably wise to seek the input of others - Orthodox brothers and sisters, especially if you are Orthodox. And I think the easy thing to see is that so-called "Christian anarchy" is not in agreement with Christianity. So ongoing thoughts are not inspired by the Holy Spirit. (Nor does He make us feel as if our thoughts are a hound chasing us and snapping at our heels.)

In that case, the ongoing thoughts are either a product of wrong thinking from your own mind, or from the outside brought in by demons.

What I would do is this: Because a medical person is not likely to consider demonic origin (unless you are fortunate enough to have access to an Orthodox psychologist) ... I would speak first to your priest. He would be in the best position to deal with the possibility of demonic thought. Very likely he would want you to talk to person who can check how likely this may be something from your own mind. It may be a team effort to find the source(s) ... and once they are found, they can begin working to deal with it.

I know both causes are possible. Such ongoing thoughts are not normal, healthy thinking, so whatever is causing you to obsess in this way, I hope you can get help so that you can become freed from it. Prayers for you.

God be with you.

20. Jackson Cooper

+20
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think it is mental. Many bad psychologicol failures have snowballed. I have lost all confidence in my conscience. My conscience has failed me in the past, so how can I know what is right and wrong?