Would it be a sin to help the homeless when there are services already available?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am examining if I have been tempted by greed.

I have been doing research on the homeless issue, there is a side that debates that by helping the homeless we enable them to not work, and there are already services for them that they are not choosing to help themselves.

That if we pay taxes we are already helping the homeless if we know it or not. And that if we focus on careers we end up paying more taxes therefore helping others too.

Did I get something wrong?

AJHnh

Jul 4, 2021
New Hampshire
✟10,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I have been doing research on the homeless issue, there is a side that debates that by helping the homeless we enable them to not work, and there are already services for them that they are not choosing to help themselves.

That if we pay taxes we are already helping the homeless if we know it or not. And that if we focus on careers we end up paying more taxes therefore helping others too.

I often have this debate with a friend. My view for what is worth is yes taxes go to programs, but does paying your taxes help the person you pass on the street at the moment you are passing them? There is something to the argument of giving money to someone who may use it to by alcohol or drugs and by giving them are you helping or hurting them? I side with i will give on occasion sometimes just because i wonder how bad a shape or condition you must be in to literally be out there. If a bottle of wine helps, well i'm not judging.

Now having said that i donate monthly to my church and they assist a specific food pantry and i mark part of that contribution to that area. I guess my point overall is if you feel like you want to give go ahead. Give wisely or however you are moved.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You help them, and then you share resources about local help attainable to the homeless?

Shalom

• Useful
Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like a homeless person would be the best person to answer this question.
Perhaps we'll see a few take the stand
Come Judgement Day
I've been residentially challenged a few times,
Help is always needed and information on resources in the area readily available for them is also useful

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Pray you do not end up on the street homeless,

and take it from there.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I think the letter James wrote that is in the bible addresses this.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to get/buy..burgers & pizza for the homeless.
----
Also, I was involved..in homeless ministry..years ago.
They had to go through..the interview & paperwork.
---
Some of them came..from the affluent area.
I asked.."why do you come here?"..
"You cannot get help..from there?"
*We had limited resources.
They told me.."not much help..there.
---
I was surprised..
Later on, I found out..they were telling the fact.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can debate the wisdom of helping the homeless directly vs. reliance upon social programs, but I don't see any foundation for labeling it a sin. Quite the opposite, there is more Biblical support for Christians helping others and no scriptures I'm aware of condemning doing so.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To me it depends on the situation. I usually get hit up at convenience stores. If someone asks me to buy them something to eat, I will. If they're asking for money, and I get the feeling they're just going to put it into their arm, then I'm not going to finance that.

Beyond interactions with the homeless, I think we should help by donating food and or money to places that feed and take care of the homeless. And even go the extra step and volunteer some of our time to heping out in such places.

Also many churches feed and give clothing to the homeless, so we can get involved with that too. Even if it's a church we don't attend.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Most will gladly take anything we give them. So many do not want out. Unless the lord leads me I never give money to those in the city. For I know to many Churches will gladly help them get back on their feet. That's just it they don't wont out. Yet there are many that do.

IF we were doing it according to the word then when we help one we keep helping till they are back on their feet. But handing them money patting our self on the back as if we helped the poor. Hmm yet tomorrow they are still out there. So giving food clothes things like that is far better then a few bucks I believe. Never feel guilty.. for Christ died for guilt. There is no condemnation here. There are so many things places in this world and in the US where some are helping get them back on their feet. Give to those..Pray about it.. ask the Father what where to give. He will tell you...you will get a peace.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like a homeless person would be the best person to answer this question.
Perhaps we'll see a few take the stand
Come Judgement Day
There are many YouTube videos of homeless people being interviewed.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are many YouTube videos of homeless people being interviewed.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36 I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’

4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Note that the last is classed along with miracles like the blind receiving sight and raising the dead.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably not a sin to help the homeless when there are services already available.

Last edited:
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
34 Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you took Me in, 36 I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you visited Me.’

4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Note that the last is classed along with miracles like the blind receiving sight and raising the dead.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably not a sin to help the homeless when there are services already available.
No of course it's not a sin as I spelled out in post #10

You said: "I feel like a homeless person would be the best person to answer this question."

So I pointed out that there are lots of videos of homeless people being interviewed, if one is truly interested in hearing what they have to say. There's probably also lots of videos of formerly homeless people being interviewed as well, which would lend insight into what causes the situation and what helps to remedy it, again if one is truly interested in hearing what they have to say.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also in regard to Matthew 11:5, Jesus is affirming that prophecy has been fulfilled per:

"Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then shall the lame man leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute sing for joy" Isaiah 35:5–6

"The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn" Isaiah 61:1–2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You said: "I feel like a homeless person would be the best person to answer this question."
I agree with you; and I don't feel like that because I don't already know the answer.
When I imagined them taking the stand come Judgement Day
It wasn't as defendants ;)

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I used to buy food and took it to a food bank. I was worried I was buying carbs for them and not enough healthy foods. When I was poor, I ate pop tarts and not kale. I needed calories. Once I had a thoughts of someone feeding bread to seagulls. The more bread that was offered, the more gulls arrived. With more bread came more baby sea gulls. The system consumption increased.

I remember Jesus fed the 5,000. His disciples were soon worried they did not have enough bread. God taught people should share. There was a law in ancient Israel allowing poor people to glean wheat from the corner of a field, but not help themselves to the entire field. A poor beggar should not be given more than one who works. Jesus received help from some supporters. In the Gospel of John, Peter and some of the disciples took to fishing after Jesus was gone. They were greeted by a man on the beach who told them to fish from the right side of the boat. When they did they hauled in a huge catch. The man on the beach was the Lord. Jesus taught non-violence, truth and self-control. Once he said, “Whoever puts his hand to the plow and looks back is not worthy of the kingdom of heaven.” Jesus earned his bread teaching and revealing God’s omnipotent power.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you; and I don't feel like that because I don't already know the answer.
When I imagined them taking the stand come Judgement Day
It wasn't as defendants ;)
Could you cite scripture regarding the homeless acting as plaintiffs during Judgement Day?

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It's not just about sharing the gospel, it's both. You share Jesus through actions. But leading people to Jesus is the most important.

Matthew 25:34-40 & John 13:1-17

John 13:12-17

12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. 17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you cite scripture regarding the homeless acting as plaintiffs during Judgement Day?

Nope!
The exercise is left to the reader.
Perhaps not plaintiffs, but everyone is potentially a witness.

42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

Last edited:
Upvote 0