Would going on a mission trip help my generation?

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's no secret that today's youth are completely consumed with themselves. "Follow me on Instagram!", "Check my Snapchat!". Young people's social media profiles are littered with complaining about their jobs and about how bored/depressed they are. They post endless selfies showing off their Gucci shades and nonsensical posts boasting what they ate at Arby's for lunch. They complain about people and the world and hope others agree with their views via "likes". As a result their lives are full of "me, me, and more me!". It is a growing epidemic. Our youth is becoming a circus act of smartphone zombies.

I want to see an organization send one-way tickets to every young, entitled person who suffers from social anxiety and Special-Sowflake-Syndrome, line them all one-by-one up on a plane and send them to an impoverished remote village in Africa. Let them see with firsthand experience what struggle is. Let them witness what anxiety really feels like. Let them see that nobody really cares about them or their Snapchat or their Instagram. Then they will open their eyes to reality and never feel sorry for themselves again. They will come home more productive and compassionate for their fellow man. Ready to make a difference and ready to work hard.

What do you think? They would have to load me on the plane too because I'm infected with "me-me-me" syndrome too.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's no secret that today's youth are completely consumed with themselves. "Follow me on Instagram!", "Check my Snapchat!". Young people's social media profiles are littered with complaining about their jobs and about how bored/depressed they are. They post endless selfies showing off their Gucci shades and nonsensical posts boasting what they ate at Arby's for lunch. They complain about people and the world and hope others agree with their views via "likes". As a result their lives are full of "me, me, and more me!". It is a growing epidemic. Our youth is becoming a circus act of smartphone zombies.

I want to see an organization send one-way tickets to every young, entitled person who suffers from social anxiety and Special-Sowflake-Syndrome, line them all one-by-one up on a plane and send them to an impoverished remote village in Africa. Let them see with firsthand experience what struggle is. Let them witness what anxiety really feels like. Let them see that nobody really cares about them or their Snapchat or their Instagram. Then they will open their eyes to reality and never feel sorry for themselves again. They will come home more productive and compassionate for their fellow man. Ready to make a difference and ready to work hard.

What do you think? They would have to load me on the plane too because I'm infected with "me-me-me" syndrome too.
Missions can also be to your local inner cities pinkjess. God bless :).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's worse than that. Many teachers are addicted to their phones as well, during the school day.
It's worse than that. The president of the United States can't seem to put his phone away and stop commenting on social media.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

This...
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples,
"Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and
take up their cross and follow me."

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am sure something like that would be a eye opener. However mission trips for the sake of it to my mind are a waste. If some one goes on a mission trip the plane ticket is a few grand, in my opinion it would be better to send the money that was to be spent on the ticket directly to the mission organisation. They could do more with a few grand than a skilless body. Fundraising for the needy could be just as effective, showing pictures, or videos of needs, then collecting funds to help the needy. But that is just my axe to grind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,072,977.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Frankly, since you asked, I think you are too critical and harsh. We all need to be looking at our own sins rather than castigating others. There are some hard working and sincere young people, too, and you give them no credit. David asked the Almighty to search him and see if there be any wicked way in him. That prayer and prayer for those you condemn, seem the best course.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Quite a few Millennials care deeply about issues like poverty--this is very much a social justice generation, so I'm not sure how much this caricature is grounded in reality. Many do need to mature, yes, but there are enough opportunities to witness real struggle in the developed world too. You don't need to go to Africa to see poverty.

I'm not sure why you're scoffing at social anxiety and depression. Mental illness and psychological disorders aren't the sort of things that go away upon learning that your own life isn't that difficult in the long run. Suffering isn't a zero-sum game.

Upvote 0

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have Ocd, severe social anxiety and misophonia. I make myself sick inside with how much I waste my own life. I feel like if I went to see real suffering it would wake me up. The picture I painted with this idea is really about my own insecurities.

• Prayers
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have Ocd, severe social anxiety and misophonia. I make myself sick inside with how much I waste my own life. I feel like if I went to see real suffering it would wake me up. The picture I painted with this idea is really about my own insecurities.
You might want to plan a short mission somewhere doing something. Or maybe just volunteer in a soup kitchen. Why not try some small volunteering.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Ok, so start a list of things you can do to serve others that don't cause your symptoms to flare. Do some googling and see if you can find something to do for others.

Here, I'll start: Writing letters or sending cards to those in the service, do behind the scenes office work for a charity, record books for the blind or sight impaired, help the activity director put up holiday decoration throughout the year at nursing homes.....the idea is to start somewhere. God is faithful to put into your path someone who needs to be loved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so start a list of things you can do to serve others that don't cause your symptoms to flare. Do some googling and see if you can find something to do for others.

Here, I'll start: Writing letters or sending cards to those in the service, do behind the scenes office work for a charity, record books for the blind or sight impaired, help the activity director put up holiday decoration throughout the year at nursing homes.....the idea is to start somewhere. God is faithful to put into your path someone who needs to be loved.
You are right that the art of letter writing is worth preserving, for the encouragement that it can bring people.

• Agree
Upvote 0