Would God destroy a city like Sodom and Gomorrah nowadays?

Would God destroy it?

• Total voters

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
For the sake of even only 10 righteous in the city, God tells Abraham He would not destroy the city.
So what does God do? He decides to destroy the city, but God sends messengers who are effectual in removing the very few righteous people who were there first, then God destroys the city after they are protected.

Who are saved from the destruction? those who are related to Abraham.
Who does Jesus give aid to ?
In Hebrews two, scripture says he aids those who are Abraham's descendents.

Heb 2
10 For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, 12 saying:

“I will declare Your name to My brethren;
In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.”[c]
13 And again:

“I will put My trust in Him.”[d]
And again:

Here am I and the children whom God has given Me.”[e]
14 Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham. 17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

So you should ask then, how is someone Abraham's seed that will be helped by God?
Abraham's true seed are true children of God. They are born into that relationship by God's grace gift of saving faith.

Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Berean777

Servant of Christ Jesus. Stellar Son.
Feb 12, 2014
✟14,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I answered yes because the world we live in today can be symbolically portrayed as Sodom in God's eyes if the true love between a man and a women in holy matrimony is replaced with a lie resulting from sacrilege marriage.

A city today is the world. It is not the question to if God will destroy it but when. It appears that the end is near when you see the man of sin that previously worked secretly behind the cupboards, is now coming out to be revealed. The truth has been replaced with a lie and the statement Love Wins is the lie of the devil who has replaced the truth, just like the days of Sodom. This is the free love, anything goes of the world.

Since God looks at his church as the spiritual police man holding back this man of sin, the church today has been attacked from all sides and it appears that it has no say. God speaks through members of his body his church and when then church is silenced, God is being silenced. God doesn't like that at all.

This revealing of the man of sin could bring sudden destruction without any warnings. It could start and end with the loss of billions.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's likely that Sodom and Gomorrah were sacked by God to demonstrate to Abraham His power against evil. It was thereafter that instead of God doing the sacking, He rather commanded the descendants of Abraham to do it.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Now, that we have received Jesus, would God still destroy a city like Sodom and Gomorrah nowadays?
Please give your reason to your opinion.

What does receiving Jesus have anything to do with it?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Well, Abraham pleaded with God saying would God judge the righteous with the unrighteous? SO with more Christians that are loving God and loving people would mean that God would not judge with a larger percent of Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now, that we have received Jesus, would God still destroy a city like Sodom and Gomorrah nowadays?

God never changes.. He is the same yesterday today and tomorrow..

If we read Romans 1 we find that the immorality we see all around us is a judgement ..

21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes only today he will remove his church from harms way just before He allows the city to be destroyed. There have been neclear bombs pointed at major American Cities for over 50 years now. It is only God that is restraining the world from destroying itself. The day will come when He that restrains will no longer restrain. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't blink your eyes because very soon some cities are going to be destroyed. Cities like Detroit have already seen a lot of destruction. I am considering a vacation house off the grid. So I have a place to go that is self sufficient, and not dependent on the City to provide utilities for me. I am already on a whole plant diet so I already have a large supply of beans and whole grains as well as bread flour.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Don't blink your eyes because very soon some cities are going to be destroyed. Cities like Detroit have already seen a lot of destruction. I am considering a vacation house off the grid. So I have a place to go that is self sufficient, and not dependent on the City to provide utilities for me. I am already on a whole plant diet so I already have a large supply of beans and whole grains as well as bread flour.

Matthew 6
25 Therefore I say unto you, be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment?

26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 6
25 Therefore I say unto you, be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment?

26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they?
I am not concerned for myself. I am concerned for the people that will be left behind as they go into the tribulation period.

Upvote 0

Dom Puccio

Contemplator
Sep 8, 2015
Manhattan, KS
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's current method of operation through His Son is to save, not condemn, until His Son returns. He is not using calamities to destroy the wicked in this age.
Amen. We are here to do our best to present the salvation offer that Christ has shown us, not to condemn people for believing anything different than us or warning them that they're going to Hell.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,441,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen. We are here to do our best to present the salvation offer that Christ has shown us, not to condemn people for believing anything different than us or warning them that they're going to Hell.

I'm going to follow that tangent for a moment.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day." John 6:44
He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them." John 6:65
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27
"And when He [the Counselor] comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment." John 16:8

I see the situation as this: Christian evangelism is not unfocused, but in fact we have what is called in the sales business a "warmed market." There are people who have been enabled, people who will recognize the words of Jesus when they hear them and will respond. There are also people who have not been enabled; those people will not respond to the gospel, the cannot respond to the gospel, period. Our "target audience" are those who have been enabled, and--this is important--all they need to hear is the gospel of Jesus. They do not have to "convicted of their sin"--the Holy Spirit has already done that. They may not know specifically what "their sin" is, but they know inside that their life is wrong and they know they need it fixed.

We cannot look at a person and see by his looks whether or not he has been enabled and is waiting to hear the words of Jesus. However, scripture indicates that the Lord would tell us where to go if we were willing to listen. But in any case, those who have been enabled need only hear the gospel--the Good News--of Jesus' salvation. If we give them His words, those who have been enabled will respond.

For those enabled, only the gospel is necessary--think of the Philippian jailer who was even asleep while Paul and Silas sang psalms in the prison. For those who have not been enabled, nothing will work. So anything other than the gospel is always a waste of time. That's why Paul could say, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2

Knowing then, that our "target audience"--the people who will respond--are those who have been enabled by the Father and convicted by the Holy Spirit, it's actually a lie to tell them that they are going to hell. If they have been enabled--and that's who we're talking to--then they are not going to hell. The Father knows He has enabled them, He knows their eternal future, and if we manage to mess up the opportunity to give them the words of Jesus that day, someone else more faithful will do it later. But those enabled people--the only ones who would respond, the only ones we're really talking to--are not going to hell. Hell is not in their eternal future. Telling them they are condemned is just a lie; the truth is that Jesus saves.

And I've know a woman who had been harmed by that lie--she was a prostitute who had heard years of "You're a sinner! You're going to hell!"...and she had accepted that she was a sinner, going to hell, too far gone for salvation. But the first time she heard a preacher say, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" she said, "Wait...what? Is that the truth?" and she was hooked right then, she didn't have to hear anything more. She had been waiting to hear Good News.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. (1 Corinthians 11:29-30, 1984 NIV) Paul says fallen asleep, which means he's talking about saved people. However, the responsibility for the judgment is on the people, not God.

The universe is designed in God's image. One of the most important verses in all of Scripture: for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. (Romans 5:13, 1984 NIV; Also see Romans 2:12) Even though God does not judge people for sins they didn't know were sins, the wages of those sins are still death. (Romans 6:23) In other words, the effects of sin can still come upon people even though God is not passing judgment on them.

A more accurate perspective is that we are destroying ourselves. God has set aside a day for Judgement in the future, but that doesn't mean his power isn't at work for good or against evil now.

By the way, saving a modern Sodom and Gomorrah is not up to changing the behavior of the unbelieving sinners. if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, by the way, God's interaction with Abraham to not destroy a city if 10 righteous people were in it went like it did because God was honoring Abraham's wishes. God has the right to decide when everyone dies.

Upvote 0