Would God be mad if I took a break from him?

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi

I have a lot of important things coming up at the moment that I need to 100% focus on. However, I have been noticing that once I get to thinking about God, I start to get unbearable anxiety (which often distracts me when studying for school, etc)

Would it be okay for me to take a break from God until I finish the important things in my life?

(Note, I'm not saying that God is not important, however, it's just that the thoughts I get when thinking about him are just too distracting and painful)

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟401,185.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It sounds to me like you may be a little confused about who God is. God is the God of peace, and in Him alone do we find comfort the soul.

Why the anxiety when you think about God? And what does take a break from God mean to you?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi @Jaedan. You can do whatever it is you like to do that you believe will help you succeed in your life. Hope you do not mind I have been trying to share more scriptures out here on the forums more, for the benefit of others, as well as to help remember what the Word of God says itself.

Please take a small read through these 7 verses, may they help you. God bless friend.

Finding Peace Through Christ Jesus

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. (Paul speaking on about what he has taught to the Philippians.)

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. (Paul speaking on the kindness of the Philippians.)

11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:

12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound.
Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Mad? I don't know about mad. But Jesus gave some good advice:

Then he told them a parable: “The land of a rich man produced abundantly. And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’ Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’ But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life is being demanded of you. And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’ So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.” Luke 12:16-21 (NRSV)

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think the scripture you referenced is accurate

I think I just need to get rid of all of my future dreams/etc (getting into a decent college, becoming a doctor, etc) and just focus more on God.

I don't know how I should approach this situation (Ill do some studying)

Thank you!

• Prayers
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I think I just need to get rid of all of my future dreams/etc (getting into a decent college, becoming a doctor, etc) and just focus more on God.

Thank you!

Most people don't have to choose. We all need things. Things like education, careers, income. We don't have to give up our need for things. But we must keep God first in our lives.

But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 (NRSV)

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

I have a lot of important things coming up at the moment that I need to 100% focus on. However, I have been noticing that once I get to thinking about God, I start to get unbearable anxiety (which often distracts me when studying for school, etc)

Would it be okay for me to take a break from God until I finish the important things in my life?

(Note, I'm not saying that God is not important, however, it's just that the thoughts I get when thinking about him are just too distracting and painful)

If God causes you to be anxious then you serve the wrong god. No one would be more helpful than God when we are going to go through a hard time. He brings us peace and a sound mind. Just what you need if you have important stuff coming up.

The devil pretends to be god, yet heeding him has us left behind with fearful hearts. the devil lies to our minds about God and will try and make us do things to aid our salvation outside of Christ. Like doing good works, going to Church or anything else legalistic or biblically untrue.

Please place your faith in God's love because of Christ. Faith in God's love stays free from anxious mind. Anxiety brings us troubled minds not sound minds.

So yes take a break from god when he makes you feel anxious and seek out true God. Salome unto you is always His greeting in our hearts.

That you discover God's love in your life even today.

Peace.

An invitation to The Chosen.

God's Love will not take or will
you to conform to rules or demand
which imprison, enslave, burn or kill you.

God's Love will not pervert what's Good
The Lord loves truthfully Wise and Good.
True Love was, is and always will be Good!

In God's Love you are free to be right!
In His love everything is good proper and kind.
He loves all who love good and true to rule!

His Love is caring, providing, and sharing.
His Love always enjoys and protects good life.
His love rules even when bad life has being in us!

Hear Jesus call - 'Come join up with us all!
Leave whatever ties you down and be free
loving good life with all God's own to be.'

To the rest in your heart God's asks
how long will you tarry in the darkness?
Please leave such bad existence within.

For life must not, no never should, or would, or could,
be forceful, rude, prideful, arrogant, selfish, lustful
or otherwise be untrue to God's loving truth.

Neither should life be hurting or ill,
hungry, oppressed, despised, hated
or otherwise have existence in wrong.

Please hand your Bad Life over to Jesus
Humbly ask for His Good Life back in return
and go love God, self and neighbour with Joy.

The Church knows that Jesus is coming soon
All bad life will be our shameful past then,
so please leave your bad life while you can!

Love

• Friendly
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The prodigal son was allowed to leave without angering his Father. And the Father waited patiently for his return. So you don't have to worry about making Him mad. Note, however, that you too will find that one day with God is better than a thousand elsewhere.....

But some people must find this out the hard way.....and you are free to be one of them.

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The prodigal son was allowed to leave without angering his Father. And the Father waited patiently for his return. So you don't have to worry about making Him mad. Note, however, that you too will find that one day with God is better than a thousand elsewhere.....

But some people must find this out the hard way.....and you are free to be one of them.

Very accurate

My thoughts about leaving God are ignorant. I just don't know why I want to "escape"

I just need to pull up my bootstraps and ignore those thoughts :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi

He'd be disappointed, and people I know who "took a break" from God and came back will say it's a bad decision.

What you ought to do is address the anxiety. Replace whatever falsehoods that drive the anxiety with truth. You'll be in a much better place after that.

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Would you able to share some more on why and since when has thinking about God made you anxious etc?

The thoughts have been accumulating over the past year. I don't really know why I do get anxious when I get to thinking about God (like I said, it's been accumulating). Nonetheless, I don't really think the reason why they do matters. What really matters is it is I'm probably doing something wrong and I need to fix it if that makes sense?

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Welcome! I am sorry this god gives you unbearable anxiety. I agree you need to take a break from this god because he is not the God of the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I pray you will find Him and the peace He will give you once you receive His Holy Spirit. I will pray for you.

• Useful
Reactions: xaris
Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Why not ask Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you!

It was revealed to Abba Anthony in his desert that there was one who was his equal in the city. He was a doctor by profession and whatever he had beyond his needs he gave to the poor, and every day he sang the Sanctus with the angels. - From the Desert Fathers

You dont need to give up future dreams to focus on God. Everything we do can be to the glory of God. I work in hospital communications and my work helps the staff with clinical care for their patients. That is for the glory of God. I serve at my church as a singer for the glory of God. I have a wife and kids and I also consider my service to them for the glory of God.

Before beginning some task, you can pray, O Lord Jesus Christ, Only-begotten Son of Thy Eternal Father, Thou hast said with Thy most holy lips: "Without Me, you can do nothing." My Lord and my God, in faith I embrace Thy words with my heart and soul, and bow before Thy goodness; help me, a sinner, to do in union with Thee this work which I am about to begin, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi

Yes he will be disappointed.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi

"Unbearable anxiety"? But God is the "God of all comfort" (2 Corinthians 1:3), He gives to us peace and rest (Matthew 11:28-30), not anxiety. Your anxiety, then, isn't caused by God, but by you. Why, then, should you "take a break" from God? He's not the problem.

Really, there is no "taking a break from God." Your existence, moment-by-moment, is sustained by the God you want to ignore. He gives you every breath you take, every moment of consciousness, that you want to use to do other, more important things. Yikes.

So, why does thinking about God make you anxious?

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Jaedan

Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
"Unbearable anxiety"? But God is the "God of all comfort" (2 Corinthians 1:3), He gives to us peace and rest (Matthew 11:28-30), not anxiety. Your anxiety, then, isn't caused by God, but by you. Why, then, should you "take a break" from God? He's not the problem.

Really, there is no "taking a break from God." Your existence, moment-by-moment, is sustained by the God you want to ignore. He gives you every breath you take, every moment of consciousness, that you want to use to do other, more important things. Yikes.

So, why does thinking about God make you anxious?

I have never felt the peace or rest that other people have talked about. Nonetheless, I don't pursue it (I'm not allowed to)

I don't blame God for this (or for anything). I blame my ignorant self. I wanted to take a break from God so I can at least rest and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thank you!
in the parable of that Rich man who was going to tear down his barn so he can have more to store, it was not wrong that he pursued those things. it was wrong that he left the kingdom of God out of his life. In this world we need doctors. The world be a worse place without them. it is an extremely difficult thing to become a doctor. Be a doctor in the name of the Lord. Some people praise him with their lips, some worship God by the life they live.

Trust me you do not want to work a plebeian job for all your life. if you can, pick a vocation that is actually meaningful to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0