Senior Veteran
Nov 7, 2005
England
✟11,311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just wondering if cutting yourself is considered sinful?
I have never really thought of it as being wrong........
It doesn't hurt anyone...

but would God be angry at me for this?

It seems that the more questions I ask the more I seem to find out that eveything I do is wrong.

Love,
Arianna
xxx

ccastellow

Nov 23, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
✟15,399.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our bodies are temples of God. So in this sense yes it is a sin. So is my self-destructive practice of smoking cigarettes. We are all sinners and nothing we do will change this. But God loves us unconditionally. He wants to see us change through faith in him. He wants to love us and see us overcome our inequities. Don't view your life or those things you do as wrong. Just seek His face and He will change you for the better. We cannot do it alone. Our sinful nature will destroy us if we choose this path. I just pray that you seek and find the joy that I have found in my life through Christ. He has saved me from a life of drugs and alcohol which many times could have killed me. He has resurrected my marriage and given me two wonderful angels as daughters. Since I have given my life to Him, so many wonderful changes have occurred and none of them of my doing. Don't get me wrong, I still sin, we all do, but my soul is renewed and God has wiped my slate clean so that He can make the changes in my life. Lots of love and prayers to you in your search for the truth.

Reactions: bethdinsmore
Upvote 0

Skinster007

Aug 15, 2005
✟323.00
Faith
Christian
The question is why do you cut yourself? If it's to relieve emotional pain of some sort, then you need to allow God to deal with that.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

I wouldn't say God would be angry but He loves you and wants to nurture you. He's waiting for you and reaching out to you. Accept Jesus into your heart and allow Him to carry your burden.

Also you are hurting yourself even though you say you aren't hurting anyone. Cutting or "blood letting" has deep Satanic roots. Check out the history on it.

Upvote 0

ITBM

Aug 3, 2005
Toronto area
Visit site
✟15,398.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Arianna said:

It seems that the more questions I ask the more I seem to find out that eveything I do is wrong.

Love,
Arianna
xxx

As believers, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us, therefore our bodies are the Holy Temple of God.

Even non believers are created in the image of God and are the object of His affection.

So anything that hurts us would be meaningful to God. And someone does get hurt... YOU GET HURT! Would God be angry? I'd say Yes. Look how Jesus reacted to people selling things in the temple. Would he hate you? or would that anger change the fact or amount that He loved and cared for you? NEVER!!!

Did you that's why God gave us His laws? So that we would know that what we do IS wrong. That even our good deeds are like filthy rags to Him. God is perfect. Being a perfect God He must demand perfect obedience. As humans we are so... IMPERFECT. But God loves us so much that He sent His son to die for us. As long as we believe that Jesus died for our sins and rose again that...
- ALL our imperfections would be forgiven.
- That God would see us in the perfect image in which He sees His son, Jesus.

So the Old Testament Law was to show us how we will never do it right. We always do things wrong. That's why the stronger a Christian you become the more you will realize how horrible you really are.
But the New Testament Law of Christ is to show us what Jesus did to MAKE it right. How all our wrongs are made right. The more you know God, the more sin you see in your life. The more sin you see in your life, the more thankful you are for God's forgiveness.

That's why our decisions and choices DO matter.

Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Arianna said:

Love,
Arianna
xxx

If you were God and you created a beautiful human being that you wanted a loving relationship with and that being rather than turning to you with their needs decided to inflict harm on themself, how would you feel? Angry? Probably not. Frustrated, maybe. Longing for relationship that would ease the pain....definitely!

It's not about you doing things wrong as much as it is about God having a future designed for you that best fulfills His mission and your desires. He wants the best for you that's all.

Hey if you want to talk about it just PM me.

Upvote 0

Deb7777

Oct 6, 2005
✟16,295.00
Faith
Catholic
Arianna said:

Love,
Arianna
xxx
Hi Arianna, God is not angry at you but he does want the very best for you. Habits can be hard to break but its good to always try to do everything that is done in love to ourself. So, God ask us to try to love ourself and to take care of ourselfes as best we can. Some people will take a life time to make breakthroughs when it comes to habits but know God loves you and will always be such a positive to encourage you to remember tomorrow is always another day if success wasn't what you wanted it to be on this day and sometimes success is very small but its good to want to love ourselfes always, God bless.

Upvote 0

L.A.W.

Feb 28, 2005
✟7,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Say, if you have a child and one day you come home and find your child cutting him/herself, how would you react and handle the situation? What parent who saw their own child cutting themselves would do nothing about it?

Yahushua loves you. He grieves that you are not seeking him for refuge, counseling, and healing. Don't inflict harm onto yourself. Don't be self-centered, selfish, egotistical, stubborn, etc. Seek Yahushua and call him into your life and walk with him that he will lead you into the light. You have a choice to stay in the dark where there is no hope and life or seek Yahushua to lead you in the light.

Upvote 0

bethdinsmore

Veteran
Jun 21, 2005
Hawaii
Visit site
✟17,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you haven't already, you might want to read posts in Recovery/Self Injury Support.

God sees us as human BEINGS, not human DOINGS. As you've probably heard many times, He hates the sin, but loves the sinner.

That's why He sent Christ to die for us. If we simply make the decision to rely on Christ alone to pay for all our sins and to get us to Heaven one day, without relying on our own goodness or promises - we receive eternal life. I hope you will make that decision some day.

It made all the difference in my life, because at the moment of my decision, the Holy Spirit entered me to give me the strength and guidance I never had before. Here's a couple of verses I really love:

Rom 8:1
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
(NIV)

Phil 1:6
6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
(NIV)

BTW, the Lord often uses Christian recovery groups to heal people of such tendencies as yours. It doesn't matter what the habit or addiction is. Most large churches have them or could direct you to one.

Praying for you, friend. Please let me know if I can help.
Aloha in Jesus

Upvote 0
A

Anti Existance

Imagine that you are locked up in a
room, what helps more cutting or a
key to get out? Invest your energy
into solving your problems instead of
in cutting, redirect that energy.
Remember nothing in the universe
makes you happy exept Love, therefore
love and help other people.

Would God love to see his own child suffering? Of course not , cutting often happens because the physical pain makes you forget your mental pain for a moment which is much harder , and its an expression of stress that others have put you thru. God 'understands' your difficult position , and is not angry at you. Rather would see that you would be happy and enjoying your life in a non destructive way. The term of sin is to narrow, you see you have a problem that needs to be solved. Cutting yourself is a symptom suppressor and NOT a problem solver , you need to find the right 'key' in your life that enables you to open the door that represents your problem(s) and leave them behind you. So that you can continue with your life.

Upvote 0

AndrewinIdaho

Dec 3, 2005
Idaho
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
according to Leviticus it is a sin to cut yourself: "Do not Cut yourself for the dead or tattoo marks on yourselves, I am the LORD" (Levi 19:28) There is another passage in Leviticus as well to cut yourself I just cant find it.

However, because it is a sin God does not hate you. He loves you. If you are cutting yourself for depression or something like that it is most important that you go to a doctor or get counseling because it can lead to things like suicide. I lost a friend a while back because of this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

soap

Psalm 40:2
May 24, 2005
✟57,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The most important thing to remember is God's love for you. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. God is not waiting around for you to make a mistake and zap you with a lightening bolt. He is there to carry you through, to be the wind behind you, saying "This is the Way, walk in it". If you get off the track, He picks you back up, and helps you back on the Way.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
AndrewinIdaho said:
according to Leviticus it is a sin to cut yourself: "Do not Cut yourself for the dead or tattoo marks on yourselves, I am the LORD" (Levi 19:28) There is another passage in Leviticus as well to cut yourself I just cant find it.
This is in a different context, it replies to emulating pagan practices. And GEntile believers are freed to have tatoos in the NT, but that's a debate for a different thread.
AndrewinIdaho said:
However, because it is a sin God does not hate you. He loves you. If you are cutting yourself for depression or something like that it is most important that you go to a doctor or get counseling because it can lead to things like suicide. I lost a friend a while back because of this...
I agree with this. It hurts your parents, siblings, and friends more than anybody when you cut yourself. Please get some good professional counselling. Preferably Christian counselling.

Upvote 0

soap

Psalm 40:2
May 24, 2005
✟57,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this will be helpful, but in the psychology classes I have had, I've learned that self-mutilation can stem from not being able to express one's feelings. (I hate blaming everything on parents, but if you grew up in a household that you could not express your feelings, you are more susceptible to doing this). Instead of expressing your feelings out loud or to someone, you express them through cutting yourself. That is your outlet. If you don't go to counseling, then try to do some research on self-mutilation, the causes, and the cures...and also remember that Jesus loves you very much, and He wants what is best for you. Express your feelings to Him. He is a great listener!

Upvote 0

Arianna

Senior Veteran
Nov 7, 2005
England
✟11,311.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
Thanks for your replys everyone

I agree with this. It hurts your parents, siblings, and friends more than anybody when you cut yourself. Please get some good professional counselling. Preferably Christian counselling.

I do agree with this too, but its ok because my friends, parents and siblings don't know about it.

I'm kind of relieved that God probably isn't furious with me about this..... but still i never really thought of it as wrong..and now it seems it is......

I don't really know about counselling, I wouldn't know where to find a counseller, especially not a christian one.....

Anyway,
I hope you all had a fun holiday,
love Arianna
xxx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Arianna,

Here's the link that Bethdinsmore suggested. http://www.christianforums.com/f478-self-injury-support.html

A lot of people who post in that section have been through it, or are halfway through it... a good mix of those who've had counseling and not.

I've had friends who cut themselves, and they usually hid it. One thing that helped them was to focus on making new decisions for themselves, instead of worrying about everyone else's terms and conditions.

I won't say too much; I think that those on the self-injury thread will be very supportive and helpful. If you can't post there, send a private message to someone you respect--most people here don't mind.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Arianna said:
Hi,
Thanks for your replys everyone

I do agree with this too, but its ok because my friends, parents and siblings don't know about it.

I'm kind of relieved that God probably isn't furious with me about this..... but still i never really thought of it as wrong..and now it seems it is......

I don't really know about counselling, I wouldn't know where to find a counseller, especially not a christian one.....
It saddens Him when you do it at least as much as it hurts your family and friends. And He's always going to see you do it. It is not OK to keep this from your loved ones either.

If you want to find counselling, you will be able to find it.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the US, our doctors can recommend one, and if we have health insurance, a certain number of appointments are covered. I know that it's harder to get in to see the doctor where you are.

We also have Agape Counseling service, a Christian organization that offers a sliding scale rate for counseling. You might have something similar.
http://www.agapecounselors.org/aboutus.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.