Would a Golden Retriever Be a Good Pet for a Buddhist?

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, I was lost in thought about something that happened a long time ago in a place far away, staring into space, and my golden retriever kept insistently clawing me to play with him, pet him, interact, etc.. He doesn't give up. That's not unusual with goldens. That's part of why they are my favorite dog breed- they *really* like to interact with people. There's almost no concern about buying one that just sort of sits in the corner and waits to be walked and fed (Though he does enjoy his walks- in fact, we finished one shortly before this occurred. His fur is turning gray and he still has a non-stop motor).

Anyway, it occurred to me that what my dog, perhaps unwittingly as a consequence of trying to get some attention, was pulling me back into the moment. The present. At which point, I thought, you know, a golden retriever would make a great pet for a Buddhist who had trouble with mindfulness of the present moment, which they strive for. Someone pass that along to the Dalia Lama for me. ;)

I guess the one problem with that would be that there is no way you'd get a lot of meditation done with a golden retriever in the room. :) So, maybe that cancels out the potential advantages for Buddhists. ;)

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
A golden retriever is the world's most friendly and gentle dog. I have had two --- Terra, named after her earthy reddish coat and Gabby, named after her habit of talking to me when I arrived home from work.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So, I was lost in thought about something that happened a long time ago in a place far away, staring into space, and my golden retriever kept insistently clawing me to play with him, pet him, interact, etc.. He doesn't give up. That's not unusual with goldens. That's part of why they are my favorite dog breed- they *really* like to interact with people. There's almost no concern about buying one that just sort of sits in the corner and waits to be walked and fed (Though he does enjoy his walks- in fact, we finished one shortly before this occurred. His fur is turning gray and he still has a non-stop motor).

Anyway, it occurred to me that what my dog, perhaps unwittingly as a consequence of trying to get some attention, was pulling me back into the moment. The present. At which point, I thought, you know, a golden retriever would make a great pet for a Buddhist who had trouble with mindfulness of the present moment, which they strive for. Someone pass that along to the Dalia Lama for me. ;)

I guess the one problem with that would be that there is no way you'd get a lot of meditation done with a golden retriever in the room. :) So, maybe that cancels out the potential advantages for Buddhists. ;)
I Love golden retrievers, there one of my favorite kinds of dogs... Very fun loving creatures, we had one all my growing up life named "Sandy", she loved the water, and lakes and streams and rivers, we lived by a river a couple of times, and she would love to swim, there excellent family dogs, excellent dogs all around...

I can only have a small dog though, so I can't have one...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously, I think a Buddhist would say it would depend upon your karmic affinity. Like maybe you saved your dog's life in a past life or your dog owed you money.

I was never a dog person. I lived with cats. And meditated. They never bothered me. Which is very important if you like sitting around doing nothing, like cats do. Maybe the cats enlightened me.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you heard the one about the Buddhist monk that went to the hot dog stand to buy a hot dog?

He said, "Make me one with everything".

Best Buddhist joke ever.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have an elderly shih-tzu. I can learn a lot about relaxation from her (and from our equally elderly cat.) I can learn a lot about mindfulness from her, too--she's not anxious about the future, or guilty about the past.

When she is relaxing on my lap I can feel how peaceful her energy field is, and I automatically feel more peaceful myself. So yes, I think dogs would be good for Buddhists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you heard the one about the Buddhist monk that went to the hot dog stand to buy a hot dog?

He said, "Make me one with everything".

Best Buddhist joke ever.

With a golden "one with everything" would just be a nice mouthful.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's part of why they are my favorite dog breed- they *really* like to interact with people.
I have to say my corgi loves interaction/play too. It runs a creditable second to food. :)

Upvote 0