• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Would a college lecturer be able to give me advice?

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, God blessed me with a gift of being able to do math. I have won an award for having performed the best at my college out of everyone in the math department.
For winning this award I have to go to an award ceremony with best students of other colleges across the country.
Even though I am happy to win this award, I am afraid of going to the ceremony. This is because I struggle with apathy enormously as a result of depression. Therefore, Even though I am good at things, I have no joy or interest in them.
I have to send the awards ceremony organisers a short biography about me and my research interests. I have no idea what to write as I find it hard to be interested in anything and so I am afraid of embarrassing myself in front of everyone.

Would anyone here have any tips/ideas that would help me write a few lines about myself.

Thank you

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe keep it simple and fairly neutral. Don't pretend to have big fancy dreams that you don't have. Say a bit about yourself and mention some interest in addition to math. Like, if you kind of like taking pictures, say "...is interested in photography." Something like that?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This doesn't sound as difficult as it may at first seem, Andrew.

Part of it is strictly biographical. That refers to things that just come with being alive--where born, perhaps something about your background, parents, etc. Also, schools attended, other awards, and so on.

Then when turning to those pesky research interests, what in the area of math have you done well or often regardless of whether you take great pleasure in it? Find some thing in real life that relates and mention it. There is no need to elaborate on how good you are at this.

Then a word of gratitude for being given this award, and you are done since this is to be a "short" bio!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi there, God blessed me with a gift of being able to do math. I have won an award for having performed the best at my college out of everyone in the math department.
For winning this award I have to go to an award ceremony with best students of other colleges across the country.
Even though I am happy to win this award, I am afraid of going to the ceremony. This is because I struggle with apathy enormously as a result of depression. Therefore, Even though I am good at things, I have no joy or interest in them.
I have to send the awards ceremony organisers a short biography about me and my research interests. I have no idea what to write as I find it hard to be interested in anything and so I am afraid of embarrassing myself in front of everyone.

Would anyone here have any tips/ideas that would help me write a few lines about myself.

Thank you

What's your major? Will your math skills support that major?

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe keep it simple and fairly neutral. Don't pretend to have big fancy dreams that you don't have. Say a bit about yourself and mention some interest in addition to math. Like, if you kind of like taking pictures, say "...is interested in photography." Something like that?
Thanks for your idea. I like languages and could mention that.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This doesn't sound as difficult as it may at first seem, Andrew.

Part of it is strictly biographical. That refers to things that just come with being alive--where born, perhaps something about your background, parents, etc. Also, schools attended, other awards, and so on.

Then when turning to those pesky research interests, what in the area of math have you done well or often regardless of whether you take great pleasure in it? Find some thing in real life that relates and mention it. There is no need to elaborate on how good you are at this.

Then a word of gratitude for being given this award, and you are done since this is to be a "short" bio!
Thank you very much for thinking of me and trying to help.
I think I'm worried because even though I did the best, I think I'm not worthy of this award as someone with a stronger interest in maths is more deserving.
I don't think I'm interested in researching maths at all. I'm more interested in getting a good stable job outside of education sector.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you very much for thinking of me and trying to help.
I think I'm worried because even though I did the best, I think I'm not worthy of this award as someone with a stronger interest in maths is more deserving.
I don't think I'm interested in researching maths at all. I'm more interested in getting a good stable job outside of education sector.
You are a generous person, but there's no need to doubt the decision of the judges (whoever they were). You said in the original post that you outperformed everyone else in the math department and that that was the basis on which you won the award.

But if you feel uneasy about it anyway, you have to go through with it now. That being the case, I advise you to accept the award and also to take every opportunity to say that you feel especially honored to receive it, considering how many other deserving people were under consideration.

That's what every smart athlete has learned to do when, after victory, he is interviewed and says that it's a thrill, a dream come true, or something in that vein, because the opponents are so good and played so well, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Thank you

Hey Andrew,

Forgive me, I am not a college lecturer. I do know something about having a God given gift and having no interests in using it.

People hurt me when I was young, and I naturally run from people. I wanted to be left alone and do my own thing. Yet I only come 'alive' when I hear people's problems and I know something about their problem that can help them overcome it. I didn't ask for this, but it was the hand of cards I was dealt. To live again I have to take the hard road that I want nothing to do with.

I say this because I wonder is there something about your math gift that when used 'to help others' might revive a passion in you? An interest that might have been long buried by pain. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Andrew,

Forgive me, I am not a college lecturer. I do know something about having a God given gift and having no interests in using it.

People hurt me when I was young, and I naturally run from people. I wanted to be left alone and do my own thing. Yet I only come 'alive' when I hear people's problems and I know something about their problem that can help them overcome it. I didn't ask for this, but it was the hand of cards I was dealt. To live again I have to take the hard road that I want nothing to do with.

I say this because I wonder is there something about your math gift that when used 'to help others' might revive a passion in you? An interest that might have been long buried by pain. Just a thought.
I’m not sure. I don’t think I’d be that good at teaching people and I don’t have much of an interest in doing so. I’m not as nice as you 8 don’t think.

Upvote 0