Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I love Spencer. Probably one of the most important Catholics of this century.

It's not clear that ISIS are not practicing Muslims. They're Sunni Wahabi Muslims .
When Obama practiced Islam as a young man it's hard to say he's not still Muslim. I wonder, did you watch the video?
"Wahhabis" like ISIS are Muslims who practice what followers of Islam have done since the start. The biggest difference is that Wahhabis (takfiris) are prone to threat other (Sunni) Muslims like infidels. Shia Muslim Sheik Yasser al-Habib, himself known for "questionable" theories about intravenous worms causing homosexuality (supposedly mentioned in sacred texts), explained this on his website:

Assalamu Alaikum,

Originally, Wahhabism is a criminal and violent ideology, founded by a mentally ill man named Muhammad Ibn Abdul-Wahhab about three centuries ago. Its main principle is that all Muslims who perform Tawassul by Awliya’ Allah (Prophets, Imams and the pious ones) and visit their graves are regarded as apostates and infidels. Therefore, the seizure of their life, property and women would, like that of the infidels, be religiously lawful and permissible!

Reactions: MoonofIsaiah
Upvote 0

Imperiuz

Liberty will prevail
May 22, 2007
Stockholm
✟21,093.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
When did Robert Spencer convert from Judaism to Catholicism?
Wuut? Spencer was born as and is an Eastern rite Catholic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Spencer_(author)

Spencer is a member of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, the Eastern Catholic Antiochian Greek Catholic counterpart of the ancient Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch.[6][7] It is a sui iuris church of the Catholic Church whose adherents are, according to Spencer, "mostly concentrated in Lebanon and Syria, also in Jordan and the Palestinian territories."[2] His grandparents were forced to emigrate from an area that is now part of Turkey because they were Christians.

Upvote 0

Imperiuz

Liberty will prevail
May 22, 2007
Stockholm
✟21,093.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Then why is Robert Spencer wearing a Kippah in the OP video?

No one is born as a member of a religion. And Wikipedia is not a reliable source being it can be edited at whim.
This is me wearing a Kippah/Yarmulke during a pro-Israel demonstration here in Stockholm:

BvzjUh7IAAAFaif.jpg:large

Doing so can simply be a sign of sympathy for our Israeli and Jewish friends and allies. Now, for Spencer:

https://www.jihadwatch.org/about-robert

Q: I’ve read that you are secretly a Catholic and have a religious agenda.
RS: My being Catholic is no secret; I co-wrote a book called Inside Islam: A Guide for Catholics. But I have no religious agenda. In fact, Jihad Watch covers jihad in all its manifestations, and emphasizes the need for all the actual and potential victims of jihad violence and oppression — Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, secular Muslims, atheists, whatever — to join together to defend universal human rights. There are many things about which we all disagree, but at this point we need to unite simply in order to survive. We can sort out our disagreements later.

Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When did it become impossible for a Muslim to be baptized and become a Christian? In the church Obama was a member of for 20 years, baptism by immersion is a requirement for members.
Did you watch the video in the OP?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you watch the video in the OP?

Yes I did. That was a worthless loss of seven minutes of my life that you can't pay me back, and I don't thank you for that.

His father was an atheist. His stepfather was a Muslim. He was sent by his stepfather to Koran class as a chiled.

Regardless of what Islam says, Christianity doesn't care. Spencer tells us that it doesn't matter if a person professes Christ, he's still what he was and has not changed. He's claiming essentially no Muslim can convert to Christianity.

He says, as though it's a fact, "And so when Barack Obama calls himself a Christian, that doesn't necessarily mean anything more that that he follows the teachings of the 'Muslim prophet' Jesus." Spencer is lying. His Jewish audience for that video might not have known it, but if you're a Christian you certainly ought to know it.

He claims we can't take Obama's statement "...at face value given the other data we have," i.e., he was a Muslim as a child...the only "other data" Spencer has provided.

However, the "other data we have" includes Obama's profession, baptism, and 20 year membership in a Christian congregation. <staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Obama practiced Islam as a young man it's hard to say he's not still Muslim. I wonder, did you watch the video?
Obama practiced Islam as a young man? I know when he was child from the age of 5-10 yrs. old he lived in Indonesia and went to school there, maybe in Koran classes, but that would have been his parents choice, not his.
No one is born as a member of a religion.
It's interesting that you say that. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Spencer, said that Obama was Muslim because his father was Muslim and Islam is paterilinear. Here let me go check....yup, right there at 30 seconds....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obama practiced Islam as a young man? I know when he was child from the age of 5-10 yrs. old he lived in Indonesia and went to school there, maybe in Koran classes, but that would have been his parents choice, not his.

It's interesting that you say that. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Spencer, said that Obama was Muslim because his father was Muslim and Islam is paterilinear. Here let me go check....yup, right there at 30 seconds....

Spencer's entire argument is that because "the Koran says" a person born to a Muslim father is always a Muslim, then a profession of faith in Christ followed by baptism and 20 years of a Christian congregation membership are irrelevant--having been born and raised Muslim is irreversible according to Spenser.

He's tossing out a foundational plank of Christianity--"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" Of course, the Jewish audience of that particular speech might not have caught it, but any Christian should.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Spencer's entire argument is that because "the Koran says" a person born to a Muslim father is always a Muslim, then a profession of faith in Christ followed by baptism and 20 years of a Christian congregation membership are irrelevant--having been born and raised Muslim is irreversible according to Spenser.

He's tossing out a foundational plank of Christianity--"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" Of course, the Jewish audience of that particular speech might not have caught it, but any Christian should.
"....having been born and raised Muslim is irreversible according to Spenser." That's not at all what Mr.Spencer said in that video.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.