Godfixated

Mar 14, 2006
✟15,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TScott said:
That is not historically accurate. You are entitled to your opinion, however since this is the history forum it is important that historical innacuracies are pointed out.

The CIA was weakened in the 1970s by the Church Committee in the US Senate which layed groundwork for the Foreign Intellegence Surveillance Act of 1978 which has gained noteriety of late for it's stipulations that enebale electronic surveillance exclusive of constitutional limits. The Church committee was enacted because the CIA and the FBI had gotten out of hand and were getting too involved in foreign mostly developing countries. There was also rampant corruption in the CIA and there was evidence that they were smuggling drugs to support their clandestine ops.

During Clinton you must recall that up until 1996 we had never heard of Al Qaeda, and when we did it was the FBI that really dropped the ball, and they kept dropping it up until the attack on 9/11. Louis Freeh put himself in a position where he couldn't be fired, even though the FBI had truned into an inept organization under his watch. Clinton deserves the blame for hiring Freeh in the first place, but it was his fellow republicans in congress that protected his job when Clinton wanted to axe him.

While, yes, your assessment of the CIA and FBI are correct, I am historically accurate. I was not talking about the weakening that occured during the 70s. I was referring to Clinton's budget cuts of Intelligence agencies all throughout the 90s. Also, Clinton was given the chance a couple times in his presidency to give the order to kill Bin Laden and didn't do it. Plus, the US knew from the late 70s that many of the Muslim countries were beginning to really hate the US. So, to cut the budget on the intelligence was not the greatest move that Clinton could have done.

Upvote 0