• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured Worship of Maria/ the virgin Mary?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Danielle White, Jul 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Danielle White

Danielle White New Member

+8
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I was wondering if there is any worship of Maria, the mother of Jesus, in Christianity? I know that this is a big part of the Catholic faith, but I was wondering what aspect of what some would call "the divine feminine" or the Goddess there is in Christianity?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DeerGlow

DeerGlow User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else Supporter

+2,200
    United States
    Baptist
    Single

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+17,859
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    No, no Christians worship Mary. There are no gods or goddesses, just God.

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,916
    Anglican
    Married
    Hi, Danielle. There is a discussion running right now--a very long-running one, in fact--on this very topic you're interested in. You can find it on the Denomination Specific Theology forum and I'll bet you can find just about every slant on the subject that's possible already posted there. ;)

5. Danielle White

Danielle White New Member

+8
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Hi Albion, thanks.

6. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+6,907
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    First, Catholics are part of Christianity.

Second, I don't believe they claim to worship Mary though. Christianity should not claim that Mary is "the divine feminine" it a Goddess. That is heresy across all of orthodox (small o) Christianity imho.

Finally, I agree with Albion. This topic should be in a different forum than Christian Advice, as this is a forum to request help or advice for situations you encounter. I recommend checking out the Statement of Purpose.

It's a good question to clarify though! Just remember that Christianity includes Catholics ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+6,907
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  8. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+6,482
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Not legitimately. We have only one God.

9. Tigger45

Tigger45 St. Francis Supporter

+10,033
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Is Mary God?

10. longwait

longwait Well-Known Member

+673
    Christian
    Married
    If you look up the meaning of TROUBLE from Daniel 12:1 on e-sword it means FEMALE RIVAL. Rival off course is an enemy. Isn't the virgin Mary worship in rivalry with God's commandments? You are to have no other Gods before Me. You shall not make any graven image and bow down to them or serve them for I the Lord your God is a jealous God.

11. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 contemplative humanist Supporter

+12,314
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Catholics do not worship Mary.

12. raffadalbo

raffadalbo New Member

+7
    Italy
    Catholic
    Married
    I think many have stated clearly that for all Christians, including Catholics, there is only one God.
    Mary is not a Goddess.

Also, Catholics and Orthodox (and maybe others as well) DO give some special honour to the Virgin Mary, because of her being the mother of Jesus. This special honour is significantly different from the worship given to God - it is the highest level of honour that can be given to a human being but cannot be similar to the honour given to God.

I add that also Muslims give a special honour to the Virgin Mary (yes, also in the Quran Mary is called Virgin and receives a special honour among other saint women).

But it is true that this discussion is to be continue in another forum.

13. FutureAndAHope

FutureAndAHope Just me Supporter

+1,394
    Christian
    Married
    There is no female deity, or goddess like worship in Christianity. God is above gender, gender is a human construct, a created facet of the human race. God is neither male nor female, he has no sex. Yet the son of God Jesus, came as a man, suffered as a man, and has eternally the form of a man. There will be no female savior.

14. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,041
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Mariolatry - the worship of Mary - is not biblical and so is not Christian. There was nothing special about Mary that made her a necessary choice to give birth to Jesus.

As far as the Bible is concerned, there is no "feminine divine." God is the Heavenly Father, Jesus is the Son of God, and the Holy Spirit is only referred to in the masculine form in Scripture.

15. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,578
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Mod hat.jpg
    MOD HAT ON
    This thread has been moved to the Controversial Christian Theology forum.
    Please note and abide by the Statement of Purpose of this forum.
    Also, please remember not to state or imply that groups of Christians other than your own are not Christian.

MOD HAT OFF

16. parousia70

parousia70 Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+3,392
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
    28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Luke 1:27-28

17. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,916
    Anglican
    Married
    28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Luke 1:27-2828

Mary having been favored by God seems to be agreed to by just about everyone. Yet the Christians who do not buy into every legend about Mary that grew up over the years (Immaculate Conception, Perpetual Virginity, Assumption, etc.) are regularly charged on these forums with not honoring Mary. It is unconscionable, really.

18. parousia70

+3,392
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You're Close...
    I have a friend/mentor in my Church who I admire very much. His name is Bill.
    I ask Him to pray for me all the time, for the Bible says:
    Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:16)

I am NOT praying TO Bill when I ask him to pray for me.

19. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,916
    Anglican
    Married
    Of course you are not. However, if you pray some of the many prayers your church uses--or pray the rosary--you ARE doing something else. You are praying TO those beings and they, being spirits, are not what the verse that recommends asking your neighbor to pray for you means.

20. parousia70

+3,392
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Could you unpack that for us a bit?