Worship in 2018 (stream of consciousness)

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Monday, January 15, 2018

I read an article that claimed 2018 as the year for a lifestyle of worship. The writer stated that the worship of God is necessary to achieve success in all areas of life. We are to ‘open our mouths’ and praise God. We are to enter His throne room first, then we are able to descend to the field where we toil for success and prosperity. The ascension to the throne room of God is of first priority, as the fruits of our labor are not made real without God’s will.

God knows where we are. He knows what we are dealing with today, this week, this month, this past year. He has a plan for us to move forward, and at times we are given what appears to move us back – the worse before the better. Still, we cannot deny that where God wants us to be is where we will feel the best. We will feel the most at home. We will feel the most fulfilled, the most at peace and the most valuable to the world and mankind.
We must pray for this success. We are to exercise our free will, - God’s gift- and do the work. We must show up. We must be there ready and able to receive. Worshipping God is the best way to assure that we move forward and are ready for our blessings.

LORD, I THANK YOU, I GLORIFY YOU. HAVE MERCY ON ME, THE SINNER.

This prayer is to be prayed ceaselessly.

For those of us new to the faith, those of us who struggle to believe because we have not seen (we do not know God) we are to form our relationship first by making contact.

GOD, IF YOU ARE THERE, SHOW YOURSELF TO ME AS YOU REALLY ARE.

There is a lot of information out there designed to help us prosper in this life. Some of it can lead us to an unholy life of over-consumption and harmful self-belief; however, some is good and in line with the Word (The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People). The reality is that many people desire a certain quality of life in this progressive journey of ours. Worshipping God first and creating that indestructible relationship is what is necessary to pull only the good fruit from the tree and to leave the rest. The Word will help us discern the good from the bad, the beneficial from the harmful; worship and we will receive protection, prosperity, the experience of unconditional LOVE, for as God loves all his children unconditionally, only those who worship God and live with him on a daily basis are aware of His love, for we only experience what we notice.

I want to live a beautiful life with God, a life during which I ceaselessly experience the love of God and his many blessings, for I know from where it comes. I know who is ultimately responsible for my good fortune (and bad, which will always lead us to good). I know who is to be glorified, thanked, and worshipped.

Yes, in my ideal life he is always there. Guiding me, protecting me, showing me the light. Walking with me in this life and into the next.

Lord have mercy on me, for I praise you, and you are always in my heart. I pray not only to worship you, but also to stay in the present, for I know when man worries about the future he is almost always far from God in his thoughts. By praying to you in every moment I can, I am always with you, with you so much more than I would be should I focus on this world. This decrepit world which you have created, the world which I am supposed to hate. The world that houses this life which I can love so long as you are with me, for certain, for without you the dread, the pain, the hardship, the dissatisfaction and the un-fulfillment expounds and multiplies.

I write these words for the first time, my Lord. I cannot take credit for being true to you. I say, “Lord knows I ain’t good”. It rings in my ear like a catchy tune or piece of stand-up comedy. This is the Hip-Hop influence in me, to which I was exposed incessantly. Admittedly in shame I laugh and smirk at the phrase, at the idea the phrase is about. It is my sinful nature, my inadequacy. I ask for forgiveness, for I know my intention is pure. I know you look not only at my actions but also at my intention. I fear you, Lord, I just cannot fear making mistakes.

This I must learn, too. Still I am glad and grateful that I can sit down and write for an hour and express much that flows inside me.

When will I go back to look upon these words? Where will I be?

These past few years have been a firestorm of pain. I have abused, I have been abused. I have been sick and addicted. I have reached forward and stumbled backward, like Sisyphus, like the tattoo on my wrist.

I want to move forward, Lord and get this right.

So if this year 2018 is about one thing, let it be about worship. I am new so help me understand. I can do my best to put You first, but without Your help and the help of my brothers and sisters in Christ I cannot understand.

I yearn to surrender to You, Lord. Do as You will and do it out of divine LOVE. I will surrender my body, soul, mind, an spirit to You. I will surrender myself.

“Take my faith to wherever you want. I’m out here.”
(I love this).

+++

It is confusing trying to do all of this at once. Trying to build a relationship with God, pray, deal with my mental health, fears, etc. I become preoccupied with wanting to achieve goals and live a good life, one with friends and family, one with accomplishments and achievements. I guess after writing this it has become certain that worshipping God must come first. As far as everything else, perhaps my efforts should be saved for a later date...

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's difficult to respond to all of this.

I think it's very good that you are pursuing what will benefit your spiritual life. With that said, I can tell this isn't an Orthodox work. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad or anything - there tend to be elements of truth in many places, particularly among Christians, and we should always praise that.

However ... such things as the prayer that is to be said continually - just as we have the Jesus prayer. It's very similar. But it leaves out the most important part - the name of Jesus. The prayer can and is shortened at times, with different parts removed. But if it gets shortened to just one word - that word is "Jesus".

Also I am personally leery of "this is the year" pronouncements, because if you follow them for a number of years, you will see that every January brings such pronouncements. They are always meant to be encouraging, I'm sure, but what can happen as did with me is it starts to become obvious it's just a facade, and if that facade is tied to your actual faith, it wears away the faith. I've seen people leave the faith over it. I just left the "prophets", thankfully.

But yes, there are good things in there. Yet it's mixed. And being that you say you're struggling to keep it all in mind, that just adds one more layer of worry to have to concern yourself with sorting through it.

If it were me, I would look for tailored suggestions within solid Orthodoxy to read, which can take you in the direction you need to go safely.

Maybe somethzing like Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica's "Our Thoughts Detrrmine Our Lives"? Or maybe not. I don't know you well enough to really make suggestions. Does someone you know in person know well enough to help you? Have you gotten to talk to a priest much yet?

• Agree
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for responding, Anastasia.

Yes it is mixed. Part of that is from, as you have pointed out, various sources of information.

I looked up the book you recommended and found some wonderful quotes from it. I will purchase the book soon...

I have begun correspondence with my priest and will see him in person when i return from my travels.

Upvote 0