Oct 5, 2005
Illinois
Visit site
✟15,388.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One is given strength to bear what happens to one, but not the one hundred and one different things that might happen.
C. S. Lewis (1898-1963)

I'd like to introduce you to two absolutely killer words. Want to be a dream killer... ask "what if...". Want to rob yourself and others of joy ... ask "what if...". Want to stop God working in your life or in the life of someone else...ask "what if...". Want to weaken your faith or the faith of others...ask "what if...". What to miss every single opportunity that God has for you...ask "what if...".

Why do we do it? Why do we insist on adding burdens to ourselves that just don't exist? God created the human brain to be an amazing thing. The more you think about something, the stronger and deeper the neural pathways become. Then, when confronted with something, your mind literally takes the path of least resistance. So if you think people don't like you, then every single input you receive from another person will automatically go down the path to the conclusion that the person doesn't like you. Kind of makes sense then that God told us to focus and think on things that are good and right and pure and noble, etc.

Have you ever seen an old, unused road? Soon enough it becomes unrecognizable and impassable. The same can happen in your mind. Stop going down a road that leads to worry, stress and death. Start making yourself (yes, it's difficult) think differently. Believe what God has said is truth and cling to that. Make new, righteous roads through your mind. Believe what God has said and there is no room for asking "what if...", no room for worry. Now, please don't get me wrong, there are physiological reasons for being prone to worry and despair. I'm not talking about those situations.

As A.W. Tozer said, "If only we would stop lamenting and look up. God is here. Christ is risen. The Spirit has been poured out from on high. All this we know as theological truth. It remains for us to turn it into joyous spiritual experience."

Father, I ask You to deliver the person reading this from worry. Cause them to know that You know what he/she needs. I pray that they would be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, would let his/her requests be made known to You. Let Your peace guard his/her heart and mind in Christ Jesus. (Matthew 6:25-34; Philippians 4:6-10).

Copyright © 2005 Greg Holl. All rights reserved.