Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So...

If there really is nothing we can do, whats the point of teaching Repentance and Confession, if we cant even do those correctly without God.
I feel like there's no hope for me being saved. What if i'm never saved? That's so hard to live with..:sad:

You've now stumbled across the problem with the doctrines of grace. That's why I said in a PM that this doctrine is really intended for people who are already Christians, and it would likely trip you up at the moment.

Here's the problem: yes, God's grace is what moves us to repent. But we still have to repent. Once you've done it you will probably come to realize that it was God's work that was moving you to do it, but that realization doesn't take the place of actually doing it. It's like looking at what your feet are doing so much that you get tangled up and fall. For the moment you're best to forget that it's God grace that moves you, and just get on with it.

So is there something to do? Sort of. Realize that God loves you, and start living as his child. This is faith, and doing it is also repentance, because it's a basic change in direction. But I'm not sure you should think of it as a thing you do, exactly, because then you're just going to start worrying that you haven't repented enough. In this case repentance isn't a separate thing. The core meaning of repent is change direction. So it just describes the fact that you're now a follower of Christ and you weren't before. But there's not some separate repentance action you have to do that has to meet the grade.

And again, this doesn't mean you're going to become perfect follower of Christ, just that you've started the journey. Hence my advice is to forget about getting over conversion as some kind of hurdle and just start living as a Christian.

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Armizer I have several questions:

Do you have a proper understanding of how much love God has for you- which was proved by Him sending His son Jesus Christ to die for all those who believe in Him? Romans 5:6-11

Do you have trouble with feeling loved or accepting love from family or friends in general?

Do you often get worried and keep going 'round in circles? Rumination (psychology)

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
joey_downunder said:
Do you have a proper understanding of how much love God has for you- which was proved by Him sending His son Jesus Christ to die for all those who believe in Him? Romans 5:6-11

Yeah i think i do, i mean i understand it.

joey_downunder said:
Do you have trouble with feeling loved or accepting love from family or friends in general?

No my family is very loving. I have no problem accepting Love.

joey_downunder said:
Do you often get worried and keep going 'round in circles? Rumination (psychology)

Before i found out about all this i was never really worried about anything.
But i do notice i think i am going around in circles of my issues, i have noticed on here that after you guys help me get through one issue i move onto the next and have been ending up back up to my other issue.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Arm my good friend just because Satan likes to build castles in the sky, doesn't mean we should rent a room. You're looking at the mountain. Stop lol. It's not a mountain, it's just the next step...

But what if this... and oh what about that, and yeh that other thing and ... shush stop. Whao look at that beautiful scenery.... stop, exhale, breathe. Do you know the bible uses the same word for breath as it does for spirit... I find that fascinating

Listen if this Christ is real, he's the Word of Creation, is he real?
Is he?

Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

If you have true faith it doesn't matter how small the mustard seed is. True faith is in all sense of the word "True faith." The size of the mustard seed is inconsequential btw.
Just thought I'd throw that little bit of knowledge in as this passage gave me a sore head for a long time.

Anyways back to the point.

Is this the creator God of the universe or not. If you doubt it well what's the point, ye might as well get on that revelation style boat the worlds on and sail off the cliff.

If he's real, don't you think the creator God of the universe can find a fitting way, for you to work for his kingdom?

You need a reason to believe. In fact now I mention it why don't you check out the website.

Reasons To Believe : Where Modern Science & Faith Converge

Not sure I subscribe to all their conclusions but it may be helpful.

I can tell you're a thinker cause you spend too much time thinking.

Lol shush.... breathe my brother...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ya know what i find really really weird?

At this moment in time my feelings are neutral.

But the thing is i haven't repented yet.

Its weird because the sadness kept me going.

Kept me going to find the truth ya know?

It's like now that i know the truth, even though I've been hearing it over and over, i'm neutral at this moment.

I don't understand it. It's weird.

Have i lost interest?

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe... maybe there's a certain calmness in the surety of Christ however. As the Law no longer has any accusatory power it looses it teeth. The result could be described as neutral. You think you should feel some sense of guilt about your sin. Because that feeling is disappearing could just be a sign your moving toward Christ.

Don't worry so much about all the different topics we're discussing here. Everyone's at different stages. But we have the surety of that penny for every worker. ;)

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe... maybe there's a certain calmness in the surety of Christ however. As the Law no longer has any accusatory power it looses it teeth. The result could be described as neutral. You think you should feel some sense of guilt about your sin. Because that feeling is disappearing could just be a sign your moving toward Christ.

Don't worry so much about all the different topics we're discussing here. Everyone's at different stages. But we have the surety of that penny for every worker. ;)

I wanna believe that it could be something to do with me getting closer to Christ but, i don't know. Just doesn't seem right for someone to be neutral on feelings when i haven't even repented yet.

Something wrong with me man..

I mean that fact that i haven't repented yet, why haven't i acted yet?

I feel like there is something holding me back but there really isn't because turning away from sin requires nothing but the want to purse God and to just give him your life.

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ya know what i find really really weird?

At this moment in time my feelings are neutral.

But the thing is i haven't repented yet.

Its weird because the sadness kept me going.

Kept me going to find the truth ya know?

It's like now that i know the truth, even though I've been hearing it over and over, i'm neutral at this moment.

I don't understand it. It's weird.

Have i lost interest?

You're still here on these boards aren't you? You must still be being drawn or still have interest then. Remember, nobody here can save you, only Jesus can.

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can tell that i am relying way to much on feelings.

I mean of course there is conviction and when you repent there should be at least some guilt.

hmm..

It's not like you can make yourself acceptable for God to accept you. You would end up getting caught in how much guilt is needed and if you did have the feeling of guilt you wanted in order to be saved, you would never know if you had enough guilt. Spurgeon said trust nothing of yourself, not even your sense of need. We were all born fallen, and sinful. ALL are guilty before a Holy God, even those who don't 'feel' it. Do not suppose you can stitch up your own wounds with feelings.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying you will not have certain "feeling" sometime, but salvation is receiving, not giving. If you will truly trust in Jesus Christ to save you to the uttermost from you sins; the One who paid the price for your sin, and proved His saving ability by raising from the dead, you will be saved. Take him at his word, and entrust your case to him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This, hasn't been easy for me. Of course i'm sure it hasn't been easy for anyone.

After just thinking about all of this. I believe i have found some issues as to why i haven't already just surrendered everything to Christ. Which by the way i still don't think i'm saved. Any reason you guys can think of why i haven't done anything about it. Like I know that in order for me to be saved i must:

Be saved by Grace through Faith, Repentance, Confession, and Baptism.

Because of me knowing this i should act on it right? But i think these worries and other things are holding me back. I mean i think that is the issue.

When i think about it, going out to find Christian friends. It sounds like a really good idea at first because having a friend in person will help so much better but, I just get worried. I am a shy person, not someone who just likes to go and find friends ya know?

There are times when I get the urge to just give myself to Christ cause i want this sadness to go away but when i do I hesitate because i get all these worries in my head.

Things like:

Whats going to happen to this?

How am i gonna live without this?

How is this going to end up when i do this?

When it comes to thinking about me as a preacher or whatever God wants me to do, i get scared. I am a tad bit worried for what Christ may have in store for me (preaching wise) because i am not the type of person, whatsoever, who likes to get up and speak to a crowd of people. Not even a small amount.
There were times when i was in public school, that i didn't do a certain big project just to avoid getting in front of the class to speak. I have hated the idea of that for the longest time.

Until i overcome these worries i think i'm just stuck.

I do understand that me being at home 24/7 is probably not helping my chances any. But surly you can understand a tiny bit where i'm coming from, all these worries that keep me at bay.

I need to overcome these worries or i wont get anywhere.

I have to get the courage to do something or i'll just fail every time.

Gahhhh :argh:...this is just so hard :(

What do you guys think?

Dear armizer,

1. I ask you to please do not believe anybody who pronounces you saved. Only the Holy Spirit bears witness with your spirit that you are a child of God (Romans 8:16). No mere man has the right to do that. You know yourself better than we do.

2. We are saved by grace through faith... (Ephesians 2:8-9). You can't do anything about this one because as you can read, it is freely given by God. You cannot work for it, you cannot buy it, you cannot steal it, you cannot take it by force, simply you cannot do anything. You are at the receiving end. All you can do is ask and wait.

3. Look at these passages and see even our repentance is a grace from God:
Acts 5:31 God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.
Acts 11:18 When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."
2 Tim 2:25 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth...
Rom 2:4 Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?

4. Baptism is done AFTER you have been saved in obedience to God (baptism does not save you). Look at the thief on the cross with Christ...

Luke 23:43 "And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." - the thief on the cross here did not get baptized before he actually died on the cross to be with Jesus in paradise.

5. When we are yet in the natural man things do hold us back. Please read The book of Romans, the first 3 chapters will show you how depraved (really bad) men are, in Roman 1:30 even says, we are 'haters of God'... Then continue on reading Romans about Christ's salvation.

6. I tell you this, I go to work, to the shops only if needed, or to church meetings. Other than that you can say I am at home 24/7. I enjoy the time listening to my audio bible, reading the bible, being in the Lord. Sometimes I listen to a few biblical preachers on youtube. It's wonderful. I am thankful in whatever circumstance the Lord has put me in.

7. When you are in Christ, His will becomes your will. You are happy when you please Him and when you do not do His will you get really displeased. And of course if He wants you to do something He will give you whatever you need. In our weakness, He is our strength. In our fear, He is our courage. It is not of our own efforts you see. That is why we depend on Him for everything.

Always remember salvation belongs to the Lord. It is by His grace and mercy ONLY. We can only ask Him.

What she said.

Upvote 0

asiyreh

God is salvation
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland
✟9,457.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeh I probably third that tbh.

What Truly's talking about here is something Unconditional election and irresistible grace. This suggests the only people that ever come to Christ is when the Holy spirit chooses you, does a supernatural work on your heart and then literally drags you to Christ.

The problem with the idea is Jesus always puts the responsibility back on to us, throughout the gospels. He says things like we were unwilling to come to him. Not to start a debate because as I say I tend to agree with what she's said from theological point of view. Nevertheless we must be practical and use the time he's given us to choose life.

But you know what I think, I think you're approaching this the wrong way. I think you're either looking for some experiential feeling or you're suppressing some intellectual reason as to why you don't fully accept The Word.

See the problem is Christ never seemed to enjoy people asking him to put on a show for their benefit. He looked into their hearts and said things like

And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. Luke 11:29

Not to say that you're an evil person or anything of the sort. The bibles full of lessons for us. Wisdom for life. Don't look at it as a put down but more of an indicator on your path.

I didn't have no explosive revelation of Christ, some do. I just looked up from my studies one day, my investigations into this Jesus of Nazareth and realized he'd been there with me all along, in the person of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0