United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was doing a homework and the method in the solutions was a bit tedious. So I emailed the lecturer and asked him about this question and said is this other shorter method also a suitable answer if this were a question asked on an exam?

He replied and didn’t explain every well and then said that as this is a homework question aren’t I well aware this could be an exam question? I replied yes and explained that’s why I wanted to know if it would be a suitable answer on the exam.

The lecturer has not since replied to me.

He probably finds me annoying and hates me as I tend to study the notes carefully ask questions fairly regularly when I find something hard to understand. Maybe this is why he won’t reply.

I’m so embarrassed :(

Am I annoying and asking unsuitable questions?

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These days many students just want the easiest and quickest way to a solution: instant gratification. Unfortunately, in doing so they learn nothing but the answer. They do not want to learn how to derive or process the answer which is what learning is all about. By processing in your mind, calculating the answer yourself and not taking shortcuts, you actually must learn something about the subject matter at hand. Just coming up with the answer a quick way, bypassing actual comprehensive knowledge of the subject, renders one useless on the subject matter at hand and in general incapacitated overall. I would guess that your teacher is very frustrated in their position of trying to teach students who only want a good grade in the class but care nothing about learning the subject matter which the teacher loves and believes so important to humanity.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These days many students just want the easiest and quickest way to a solution: instant gratification. Unfortunately, in doing so they learn nothing but the answer. They do not want to learn how to derive or process the answer which is what learning is all about. By processing in your mind, calculating the answer yourself and not taking shortcuts, you actually must learn something about the subject matter at hand. Just coming up with the answer a quick way, bypassing actual comprehensive knowledge of the subject, renders one useless on the subject matter at hand and in general incapacitated overall. I would guess that your teacher is very frustrated in their position of trying to teach students who only want a good grade in the class but care nothing about learning the subject matter which the teacher loves and believes so important to humanity.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. It wasn’t a lazy answer, just a shorter argument.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't try to read too much into it. So much can be lost when communicating via email. Who knows what is going on, on the other end, that may be prohibiting a more timely response? Try to focus on something else and wait to see before coming to any judgment about your teacher's possible opinions about you. Can you ask a fellow student, perhaps?

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Creativity is spurned by the discovery of one's own ability to learn new things and process a comprehensive and logical solution in their own mind and NOT rely upon a keyboard or touch pad. This is why humanities' creativity in general has been taking a steady decline. I am amazed by all of the posts that refer to one assimilating or forging or stealing other people's images or pictures or writings online these days. It seems that practically no one is capable of independent and creative thought processing.

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn’t stress. If an instructor doesn’t reply, I would send a follow up email and from there see if they’ve replied to other students or if you would need to get assistance from other teachers.

• Agree
Reactions: thehehe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Annner

Dec 28, 2012
✟24,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was doing a homework and the method in the solutions was a bit tedious. So I emailed the lecturer and asked him about this question and said is this other shorter method also a suitable answer if this were a question asked on an exam?

He replied and didn’t explain every well and then said that as this is a homework question aren’t I well aware this could be an exam question? I replied yes and explained that’s why I wanted to know if it would be a suitable answer on the exam.

The lecturer has not since replied to me.

He probably finds me annoying and hates me as I tend to study the notes carefully ask questions fairly regularly when I find something hard to understand. Maybe this is why he won’t reply.

I’m so embarrassed :(

Am I annoying and asking unsuitable questions?

Is it normal to email teachers and ask them questions on homework to see if it would be on an exam? Years ago it wasn’t, but things may have changed nowadays.

No problem. It I felt like I intruded, I would just humble myself saying.... I apologize if I was intruding in asking you that. Even if you get on his nerves, humble yourself and trust the Lord with it! You will be fine! How can he not like you then!

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it normal to email teachers and ask them questions on homework to see if it would be on an exam? Years ago it wasn’t, but things may have changed nowadays.

No problem. It I felt like I intruded, I would just humble myself saying.... I apologize if I was intruding in asking you that. Even if you get on his nerves, humble yourself and trust the Lord with it! You will be fine! How can he not like you then!
I didn’t ask if it was on the exam. I knew it was something we could be asked so I asked if he could explain it.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I taught Computer Programing in Assembly Language. I gave students an assignment that lends itself to Spaghetti code. I wanted them to do some research to find the BAL statement to write their program using modern standards.
When I got email on this assignment. I replied do the research. Books related to the research was on reserve in the Library. The purpose of the assignment was to demonstrate how frustrating Spaghetti code is. So, that when in the real world run into this beast, they would take the initiative to put a group of programmers together to rewrite the nightmare program. In Math the purpose of doing it the long way is to demonstrate to us professors your accuracy and mathematical skills. So show your work.

Upvote 0