• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Worried I'm going to hell for Christmas.

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I was worried I was going to hell at the end of last semester, but now I'm worried I'm actually going to hell at the end of this semester. This semester ends right around Christmas time, so I get my grades around Christmas. I feel like I made a bet with Jesus in my head that if I ever got a C I'd be put in a coffin forever, and that is hell for me.

The evil voice in my head keeps saying, "into your coffin!"

I really don't want to make bets in my head but they happen all the time. I saw a message on my pants years ago that said "have a very merry hell." So, I'm worried that is another sign that I'm going to hell for Christmas.

No one wants me to quit college. Everyone wants me to go to college because I'm a good student. But I honestly believe that if I get a C then I will be teleported into a coffin. I also believe that God will create a copy of me so that all the people who love me will never notice that I'm gone.

So I'm really upset because I really want to go to college but I feel like I made a bet with Jesus about my grades. I know it doesn't make sense and everyone will think I'm crazy, but it all seems true to me.

Thank you for listening,

SnowTiger

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I mean it's definitely not a good thing to make a promise to God and not deliver it. Did you intentionally make the bet?

This is a ploy of the enemy, and possibly even a self-destructive tendency. Ignore it. Ask for forgiveness for your wayward mind, and ask that He blesses you with an understanding of why this is happening. Until then, realize that God knows that you don't wish to think this way, and that you're struggling. If a bet comes on, realize that God cares more for intent, and desire.

So, I really only think He'll expect you to uphold a bet and or promise that you desire to make, or feel you have to make out of promise for Him delivering a certain result to you. If you pray or talk to Him, and promise it intentionally, with the intent of keeping it, and then you break it, then you've got a problem. He'll still forgive you if you repent, and refrain from doing it again, and as it's written: better it is to not make an oath to God at all, than it is to make an oath and fail to keep it.

That was a rough paraphrase, but yeah. If you make a promise with God that He actually expects you to honor, it'll be something you intentionally do. I get random blasphemous thoughts that pop up constantly some days, it weighs on my heart and mind sometimes, and I'll ask Him for forgiveness. It used to hold me back a lot, but then I learned to just not give them much though. Ignore them, and think of better thoughts. It's like the pink elephant paradox. Which is as follows.

I'm going to type this next sentence. When you read the sentence below, read the numbers from 1-10, and think of anything you want. You can think of anything at all, just whatever you do. DON'T think of pink elephants.

Did you make it? Probably not. Maybe, reading from 1-10 is different than waiting and being left to your thoughts while someone else counts to 10.

My point is, don't let it beat you down. It happens. He's going to forgive you, everyone has little mental hang ups, random unintentional bet making is yours. You're worried about angering Him, and worried about displeasing Him, and worried about condemning yourself. Don't be. Just learn what He wants you to do, and what He wants you to not do. Guard your thoughts with love, peace and purity. Bring everything into captivity of the obedience of our Messiah.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

No, I don't want to make any bets but they happen all the time. I hear this evil voice in my head that is constantly making bets, and I end up making bets too. I didn't want to make any bets with Jesus. At the time I made that bet I also made a bet with the devil that I would spend an eternity in an oven if I ever got a B. So I made bets on both B's and C's. I've gotten B's and nothing happened. But I'm worried that that is because the devil has no power. I'm truly afraid of Jesus because I know he has all the power.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
With each voice/thought that comes to you, bring it into the obedience of Christ Jesus, pray to God and ask Him to rebuke the devil and all his works over your life in Christ Jesus name.

Don't own these thoughts, they're the devil and his workers trying to get you to remain in fear for your salvation, keep you paranoid and in the fear of death and condemnation.

Jesus paid the price for your sins, there is nothing that will separate you from His love for you.

Confess your sins to Him and He will forgive you, purify you from all unrighteousness.

1 John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Stay in His word and always pray.

Forget your expectations of grades and just do the best you can.

God will provide for you, have Faith.

Put on the whole armour of God.

Ephesians 6:10-18

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

new-clothes-new-life-armor-of-god.jpg

Focus on Jesus at all times, remember we don't eat bread alone but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God.

Put on an Audio Bible and be filled with His Holy Spirit and nourished by His Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them. - 2Cor 5.19​

God hasn't changed, so He's not going to count intrusive thoughts against you. Recognize these thoughts for what they are, and ask the Lord for help to ignore them and to continue living for Him to the best of your ability. As someone said, it's a battle for the mind that has to be taken one moment at a time.

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I was worried I was going to hell at the end of last semester, but now I'm worried I'm actually going to hell at the end of this semester. This semester ends right around Christmas time, so I get my grades around Christmas. I feel like I made a bet with Jesus in my head that if I ever got a C I'd be put in a coffin forever, and that is hell for me.

I really don't want to make bets in my head but they happen all the time. I saw a message on my pants years ago that said "have a very merry hell." So, I'm worried that is another sign that I'm going to hell for Christmas.

No one wants me to quit college. Everyone wants me to go to college because I'm a good student. But I honestly believe that if I get a C then I will be teleported into a coffin. I also believe that God will create a copy of me so that all the people who love me will never notice that I'm gone.

So I'm really upset because I really want to go to college but I feel like I made a bet with Jesus about my grades. I know it doesn't make sense and everyone will think I'm crazy, but it all seems true to me.

Thank you for listening,

SnowTiger

Your suffering from intrusive thoughts which is a mild form of OCD Scrupulosity.
JESUS forgives us of everything we do against Him if you ask for forgiveness and truly mean it.
The way to get the intrusive thoughts to calm down or eventually stop is to cast them down by speaking against them in the name of JESUS ( 2 Corinthians 10:5 ).
If you got a C or not GOD still loves you.

• Winner
Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thank you for listening,

SnowTiger

Hello,

If you are feeling conviction, then that is from God, but if you are feeling condemnation, then that is from Satan. If you've made a mistake, then repent of it, and with God that is the end of the story, but Satan will continue to beat you up and make you feel guilty over something that God has already forgiven you for. Jesus said that we should be anxious for nothing, so he is not a source of anxiety. Recognize where those thoughts are coming from and who you are in Christ, and stand firm on those truths. Take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all your responses. They have given me some faith.

Sometimes I'm worried I committed the unforgivable sin because I said that "Jesus died for power and glory" and not because he loved us. When I said that to my friend a magical sign appeared on my hand condemning me. So I worry that I can't be forgiven for my sins.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all your responses. They have given me some faith.

Sometimes I'm worried I committed the unforgivable sin because I said that "Jesus died for power and glory" and not because he loved us. When I said that to my friend a magical sign appeared on my hand condemning me. So I worry that I can't be forgiven for my sins.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

A good rule of thumb is that if you're worried that you might have committed the unforgivable sin, then you haven't committed it. The people that Jesus was accusing of committing it weren't worried that they had committed it, and that essentially the problem. Unforgivable sins are unforgivable because they put us in a state where we can't be forgiven, but that doesn't mean that we need to remain in that state and can't repent. For example, in Matthew 6:15, Jesus said that if we do not forgive others, then we will not be forgiven, so that is another example of an unforgivable sin, but that doesn't mean that we can't repent of our unforgiveness.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read somewhere that God will not hold us to ungodly covenants that we make with Him. Instead He will release us from them. What You describe seems like a nonbiblical covenant, something God has not bound You to, something ungodly, beg my pardon for my bluntness but You need to be released of that burden in Your life. I do not think for a second Jesus holds You to that bet, if You hear voices claiming to be Jesus saying You still are debted to it I suppose it is the enemy or illness. If healthcare can offer a solution, fine, if You need a deeper commitment to the Lord try reading Your bible more often, pray and listen to some christian good music that Makes You feel close to God. Try visit some church and see if they have some personal councelling. Do not let other peoples evil words dictate Your life, make up good words instead. This year will be your bonding with God while You live on earth, for example. Time to break free of the shackles in Jesus name. God bless You.

Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I just wanted to say goodbye to all the people who gave me advice. I believe I'm going to hell tomorrow and there is nothing I can do to stop it. The evil voice in my head says it's just my time. Time has run out for me.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I just wanted to say goodbye to all the people who gave me advice. I believe I'm going to hell tomorrow and there is nothing I can do to stop it. The evil voice in my head says it's just my time. Time has run out for me.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

We'll still be here for you today, tomorrow, and the next. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses.

I'm doing okay. I really thought I was going to hell for Christmas, but nothing happened at all. I had a pretty good Christmas with my family.

Thank you,

SnowTiger

I would suggest you make an appointment with a Christian Counsellor and your pastor. Getting help from a Christian trained in counselling and dealing with these problems is critical for you, I think.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello, SnowTiger, and all the rest of you blessed people on this thread. I'm currently a psych major, with a good chance of working in counseling in the future, so I have a bit of experience from my education that you may find useful.
Talk with people about your situation, and rationalize it. One of the biggest, most dangerous mistakes people like you make is overblowing their situation. You hear voices, you think they're from God, and you think everything about you going to Hell is automatically true. This doesn't line up. If you hear someone saying that they're God, this doesn't mean they are. Satan is a master of disguise. How do you know what influences are Godly and what ones aren't? This is something I've struggled with in my faith life. Sometimes, you won't know. The important thing is to think before acting, pray often, and put your trust in God. Pray to St. Michael, that he may slay the demons in your life. Pray to Jesus, that He may relieve you of your worries. Pray to the Holy Spirit, that He may lead you along the path that God has lit for you. Never fear, always trust in the Lord; he's there for you, and he'll never leave you.
Try writing down what's going on, and it's okay to go so crazy doing so that you end up stabbing the paper and through the whole notebook, too; I've been there, I have several mutilated notebooks to my name, trust me, it's worth it; you can let out a lot by ramming that pencil through the pages (keep your fingers out of the way). Don't be afraid to cry, or scream, or release whatever demonic energy is inside of you; let your emotions run their cycle, then pray for God to fill you up--He will.
If there's a college near you, go to the counselors there. I don't know if you're a college student or not, but colleges tend to let you just walk into the counselor's office for free (technically only for students, but explain what's going on to the conselor, and they'll listen--nobody becomes a counselor for any reason other than helping people).
Remember: "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8) Go to church, go to daily mass, pray a novena or a rosary or just spend time with God. Give Him everything, always talk to Him, pray to never forget Him. Pray to turn to Him whenever you get these delusions (that's all they are), and remember, you have more control than you think. "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (Somewhere in James)
Do please remember that we're praying for you.
God be with you,
Unofficial Reverand Alex

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
MOD HAT

posts have been removed for discussing spiritual warfare with demons or the devil

in recovery we ask you give peer advice only

if there is a need for spiritual warfare that should be discussed privately and safely with a qualified professional like a pastor or a counsellor so that the process can be properly monitored from start to finish

please read the sop for this forum to ensure your posts are within the guidelines for this forum: Statement of Purpose - Psychosis and Schizophrenia SOP - Read First

God Bless you my dear friends

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi,

Thank you,

SnowTiger
I don't think you have anything to worry about, the voice in your head is just a voice. Just drop back by and let us know when it doesn't happen.

Upvote 0