Worried I blasphemed against the Holy Spirit.

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I keep worrying that I blasphemed against the Holy Spirit.

One time I was really angry about something related to God (can't really remember what) and I told my friend "Jesus died for power and glory, and not for love." Immediately after I said those words, I saw writing on my hand condemning me. This writing basically said I am going to hell.

I've read many articles about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Most of them say, "If you feel bad about things then you haven't completely hardened your heart against Jesus, so you didn't do it." Still, I really believe I did it. I've read the Bible about Ananias, who lied about his money, and they said he blasphemed against the Holy Spirit and struck him down. I think what I said was even worse than what Ananias said. So my punishment should be worse than what happened to Ananias.

Anyway, I'm really upset. I hear voices in my head all day long. I'm diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Sometimes a nice voice says "Maybe God still loves you." I usually argue with this voice, saying things like "I blew my salvation. I had salvation in my hands and I threw it away." I really believe in my heart of hearts that I blew it. I was saved and I threw it away.

So, do you think there is any hope left? I'm convinced that I lost my salvation by saying those words.

Thank you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is hope. I also struggle with intrusive, blasphemous thoughts. It gets annoying, scary, and exhausting. Keep climbing, friend. You have a will. It is clear that your will is fighting these thoughts, so that is good.

I will pray for you, friend. With Divine Mercy, there is always hope. Incline your heart towards Christ 10,000 times a day.

TRIP-35-600x500.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I keep worrying". That is not how this works. One KNOWS they are doing it..and just ONCE is not enough. Meaning.. we all get made we see something and might take it a different way.. some have no clue. But the ones that do it.. KNOW what they are doing. Wont question it

Some will say its saying NO to that sweet sweet small voice that is CALLING you to repent and come to Christ.. in truth that is one SIN that is not forgiven. Some say its seeing all the WONDERS the Holy Spirit does and saying thats of the devil. Kind of hard to talk about make fun of something you have NO CLUE what HE really is. GOD lol would know this....

So relax.. you never have. And.. God would not ever use FEAR worry doubt.. those things are NOT of GOD

• Haha
Reactions: Chris2555
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe there is any credible scriptural evidence suggesting Ananias and Saphira blasphemed the Holy Spirit when they withheld money. They were made and example of and that's all.

In any case. I've read many, many accounts so far of Christians worried about this same thing, and they all seem to have something in common. You need to take this time to reconnect with the Lord and involve yourself in the Word and study and continue on. There is no other option. I believe there is a reason some Christians are given to feel this way (to feel irredeemable) but it may actually be a profoundly humbling experience to feel the true fear of the Lord. Don't cast away your confidence as it is worth more than gold. Believe and repent. Read scripture and do what it says.

Philippians 3:13-14

Hebrews 10:35

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

One time I was really angry about something related to God (can't really remember what) and I told my friend "Jesus died for power and glory, and not for love." Immediately after I said those words, I saw writing on my hand condemning me. This writing basically said I am going to hell.

I've read many articles about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Most of them say, "If you feel bad about things then you haven't completely hardened your heart against Jesus, so you didn't do it." Still, I really believe I did it. I've read the Bible about Ananias, who lied about his money, and they said he blasphemed against the Holy Spirit and struck him down. I think what I said was even worse than what Ananias said. So my punishment should be worse than what happened to Ananias.

Anyway, I'm really upset. I hear voices in my head all day long. I'm diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Sometimes a nice voice says "Maybe God still loves you." I usually argue with this voice, saying things like "I blew my salvation. I had salvation in my hands and I threw it away." I really believe in my heart of hearts that I blew it. I was saved and I threw it away.

So, do you think there is any hope left? I'm convinced that I lost my salvation by saying those words.

Thank you.
The most important thing you must do is to take hold of the promises of God that show His mercy and grace to sinners, and even if you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit, still lift your heart to God and pray, "Lord forgive me a sinner". Jesus said, "All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven of men (and women)." So give yourself the benefit of the doubt and lay hold of God anyway. Confessing your sin to God brings forgiveness and cleansing (1 John 1:9).

The greater sin, even worse than blasphemy, is to turn away from Christ in unbelief. The devil is the accuser of Christian believers, and if what you are experiencing are the accusations of the devil, to listen and believe those accusations more than the promises of God, then you have put yourself in a worse state than you are now if you turn your back on God's promises in His Word.

God says, "Come let us reason together (in other words, have a discussion about what you have said and done), though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow". What have you got to lose if you take that promise to yourself? You have everything to gain!

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe there is a reason some Christians are given to feel this way (to feel irredeemable) but it may actually be a profoundly humbling experience to feel the true fear of the Lord.
There may be something to this. Many, many times I have asked for God to completely and totally take away my invasive thoughts. They are not as strong as before, but always come. Especially during prayer. I believe God may be allowing this, in part, to help me stay 1,000% reliant on Him. And keep going. Like you said.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know this is hard for you, to have to live like this, Snow Tiger. To say the very least it is hard. But I still pray for your peace, that God will heal you from all of this one day. I only had to live with this kind of problem for about a year, if that, and it was a nightmare, so I cannot imagine how difficult it is for you. :( All I can do is assure you again that you have done nothing of the sort, losing your salvation. You have not exhibited any sign at all that you hate Jesus or the Spirit, regardless of what you may have said - likely by sheer accident or a surge of fearful emotion, I imagine - or what voices you may hear. Those voices that discourage you or try to scare you are evil, but you are not. Please hang in there. I know, it isn't much at all, but still I will keep praying for you.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thank you.

i have said much worse things than you my friend, and many times, dear struggling unbelieving brother and yet Jesus forgave me and restored me in His friendship time and again. As a matter of fact because i fell so deep His grace is unsurpassing good. Bonus for trusting Him to love me though i've been so bad.

Be of good courage if you still find desire to be with God then you can come back. Luckily the sin against the holy Spirit is not so easily committed when we are mentally ill. God knows we will come back to our senses later on in the process.

Pray for restoration and thank Him for doing that in your life as you begin to believe the truth of your salvation again.

Much love on your way.

An invitation to The Chosen.

God's Love will not take or will
you to conform to rules or demand
which imprison, enslave, burn or kill you.

God's Love will not pervert what's Good
The Lord loves truthfully Wise and Good.
True Love was, is and always will be Good!

In God's Love you are free to be right!
In His love everything is good proper and kind.
He loves all who love good and true to rule!

His Love is caring, providing, and sharing.
His Love always enjoys and protects good life.
His love rules even when bad life has being in us!

Hear Jesus call - 'Come join up with us all!
Leave whatever ties you down and be free
loving good life with all God's own to be.'

To the rest in your heart God's asks
how long will you tarry in the darkness?
Please leave such bad existence within.

For life must not, no never should, or would, or could,
be forceful, rude, prideful, arrogant, selfish, lustful
or otherwise be untrue to God's loving truth.

Neither should life be hurting or ill,
hungry, oppressed, despised, hated
or otherwise have existence in wrong.

Please hand your Bad Life over to Jesus
Humbly ask for His Good Life back in return
and go love God, self and neighbour with Joy.

The Church knows that Jesus is coming soon
All bad life will be our shameful past then,
so please leave your bad life while you can!

Love

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thank you.
teaching in a Catholic high school, which has a sign on the wall which reads, "it's never too late to mend your ways"

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

Thank you.

If you're schizophrenic then maybe God is ultimately responsible for your blasphemies. Anyways, don't judge yourself too harshly. I'm schizophrenic and I just accept that my thoughts really aren't my thoughts and God probably won't judge me for my brain dysfunction.

Anyways it doesn't sound like you sinned the unforgivable sin in any way, read: Matthew 12:32

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi,

Thank you.
I was once so certain I had thrown away my salvation, that I would stay up all night, and pray and feel dead and nothing, thought I was cast away, but I was not. I thought I blasphemed His Holy Spirit. and confessed to God that I blasphemed His Holy Spirit, but I did not. and after a good long while, I was restored to normal, so no, you did not do it. and you need to fast and pray for those thoughts to go away, seek someone to pray over you for the thoughts to be healed. those thoughts have no place in your head. run to Christ with all your heart. seek Him, and don't give up. want Him. I fasted and prayed, and had a pastor pray over me, and God healed my thoughts, and my head was so clear, crystal clear. after that happens, it opens the door for the Holy Spirit to come in. submit to Him, repent, then follow Him. those thoughts that are telling you that you are unforgiveable are demons speaking to you. the nice thought, claim it as your own. you need to be strong, but meek, remember that you are unable to stand on your own, you need Jesus Christ to indwell you, and fill you. pray for a hunger for Him, seek Him, and you will be found by Him.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know a girl who had demons telling her to hurt people, and filling her head with thoughts, and she fasted and went to deliverance ministries, and was healed. she thought she had blasphemed the Holy Spirit as well. and she almost gave up, then she fasted a second time for four days, and went to deliverance ministries again. and that time, the demons left, and she was restored to God. after that you need to stop sinning, and trust in Him, and focus on serving and loving others.

• Useful
Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
also, get your heart right you double minded. I wish I knew that verse from the heart and loud in my face, and listened to it when I was going through my battle. repent, submit your heart fully to God. He will heal you. don't be a lukewarm Christian. He is worth it. give yourself fully to Him. trust Him fully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know it is tough, but don't give up. keep running to Him, trust Him, He will fulfill His promises, He will save you. take a few minutes to think about how all powerful He is. look at the stars, and then put it in perspective, this God. is an Almighty God. He spoke words, and made a universe as vast as ours. He spoke and created you, He gave Nebachadnezzer a reprobate mind, and made him like an animal, and then gave him back his reasoning later. God is able to fix your brain. turn to Him, and He will heal you. He cast seven demons out of a lady, and a legion of demons out of another man. and He rose Jesus from the grave, He is able to save you, your problem is no problem for the God who made you. He loves you, and He is waiting for you to return to Him. not even a legion of demons can keep you from His healing hands. nothing can keep you from Him. trust Him, and run to Him. keep knocking, the door will be opened for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thank you.

You have not Blasphemed the Holy Spirit. See Is there an unpardonable sin, what is blasphemy of the holy spirit. The cross covers a life time of sins, as the bible says "as it is appointed for man to die once, so Christ died once for sin". Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a state of heart, where you no longer want to believe, where you cease to believe in the cross. The cross is available till the day you die physically, so you are forgiven. But you must return to that belief.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a state of heart, where you no longer want to believe, where you cease to believe in the cross. The cross is available till the day you die physically, so you are forgiven. But you must return to that belief.

I quite agree with this. When so much Scripture speaking of the abundance of God's mercy and forgiveness is taken into consideration against the seemingly "scary" passage where Jesus speaks of blasphemy against the Spirit, I think it is evident that the heart of the unforgivable sin lies the lack of willingness or conscience to be forgiven in the sinner, not with God being all like, "Nope! Not this time! No matter what you feel or believe now you done crossed the line!" God is hardly as petty or fickle as we human mortals are. He's above all that. Both mighty and mighty to save.

The problem, though, is that regardless of the truth I believe to be in what you say here, @FutureAndAHope , for us who have or had to once dwell with constant intrusive thoughts and lingering obsessive doubts in this accursed disease that ultimately amounts to just another (albeit most harmful) form of obsessive-compulsive disorder is that, when we suffer this problem, our minds will immediately seek a way to ration out the assuring words given to us. If we fear the "unpardonable sin" this much - and again, I blame it all on a wrongful view of the nature of human souls and what hell or Gehenna truly is - then even assurances regardless of how much they will align with Scripture, such as what you have said in the above quoted post, will ultimately become more harmful to our emotions than good. Why? Because the sufferer of poor Snow Tiger's kind of OCD will then start to wonder, "but, but ... WHAT IF that is the problem? That secretly at heart I don't want forgiveness, that I actually am not crying out for God's mercy through Christ and His sacrifice but rather I hate Him and never truly believed (wanted forgiveness)?" Regardless of how baseless that fear may be, our fickle human minds in the course of this accursed disease will seek out the worst way to invalidate the assurances given to us that God is not out to get us. We will always imagine the worst possibility ... and then we will begin to feel it emotionally ... and thus validate our irrational fears even more because of the feelings ... and so it goes on from there. God had great mercy upon me to only allow me to suffer this problem for eight months or so, and that was hell on Earth enough. Out of sheer empathy alone, I have prayed and also asked the people of my church this very night to pray for God's mercy upon victims of this horrible disorder such as @SnowTiger and @Eso . None of us can truly know what it is like for them unless we have been through it ourselves, although the intentions of those trying to help and encourage them certainly mean well even if they cannot personally empathize, please don't get me wrong.

I'm just going to be frank: this type of OCD sucks.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you to everyone for the encouragement. It helps. I want to be saved so I will keep trying. Thanks.
My dear friend, that is the best goal that we can have. We should all want to be saved. A quote from one Saint says "we have been saved, we are being saved, and we shall be saved". I have no idea who first said it. But it makes sense. Keep striving, friend, keep relying on Christ, and keep climbing.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟993,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you to everyone for the encouragement. It helps. I want to be saved so I will keep trying. Thanks.

Consider this, Mr. SnowTiger. Jacob in Genesis was a liar and a trickster, who screwed his own brother over pretty badly and was even so shallow as to at first see no genuine good in his first wife Leah (kind of should have thought to lift the veil on her face at some point before lying with her on their wedding night, I personally thought) simply because she had "weak eyes" and preferred Rachel's outward conventional beauty to she.

But you know what? Regardless of those character faults Jacob sought to receive the Lord's favor and blessings when "the angel of the Lord" appeared to him that night at Bethel and "wrestled" with him (I put "wrestle" in quotes because I have not discerned whether this could be in a literal or perhaps just emotional sense of some sort that Jacob wrestled with the angel of the Lord). Genesis 32 says that Jacob absolutely refused to let God go until God had blessed him. He wanted God's favor. He wished for it and desired it. And if God even had the capacity to turn away and shun Jacob if he hadn't asked for His blessing, Jacob wasn't going to just give up asking, I imagine. Similarly, Jesus - while at first testing the woman, I believe - blessed the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15 and called her faith great. Why? Because even He did at first what looked like an insulting rejection of her (again, just testing her, I think), she persisted. She clung to Him. She refused to go on in life without Him.

You are persisting and clinging despite your seeming doubts, it seems to me. So keep it up. It is hard, I know, to live with this problem for now, to say the least it is hard. But I am certain God will not let you go, for anything. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0