Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I will be chirsmated soon, however I am worrying about Communing because it is really holy and I don't want to die or something bad happening to me. Sounds a little bit silly but it is kind of concerning.
That sounds like superstition not grace.

You should examine yourself, your relationship to others and to God before doing so and satisfy yourself that all is well - if not sort it out. You have time.

I'm not sure about the practices of Eastern Orthodox, but at the very least you need to understand that communion is about recognising the importance of Jesus death in your salvation.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I will be chirsmated soon, however I am worrying about Communing because it is really holy and I don't want to die or something bad happening to me. Sounds a little bit silly but it is kind of concerning.

Blessings upon your upcoming Illumination! Yes, there is that trepidation approaching the Holy Gifts. But this is also the medicine of immortality. Depending on your jurisdiction there are a large number of prayers that you can say before communing. This is my favorite:

Loving Master, Lord Jesus Christ, my God, let not these holy Gifts be to my condemnation because of my unworthiness, but for the cleansing and sanctification of soul and body and the pledge of the future life and kingdom. It is good for me to cling to God and to place in Him the hope of my salvation.
Receive me today, Son of God, as a partaker of Your mystical Supper. I will not reveal Your mystery to Your adversaries. Nor will I give You a kiss as did Judas. But as the thief I confess to You: Lord, remember me in Your Kingdom.

Prayers Before and After Communion

Prayers for Holy Communion

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

nope, that's the attitude we should have. we receive communion with gratitude and repentance.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,173.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that none of us are worthy, however God loves us and it is His desire that we are united to Him through Holy Communion,so take courage from that and prepare yourself as best you can. You will fall again and again as do we all, but don't be too hard on yourself and use that as an excuse not to commune as that is one of the tactics the evil one uses to keep us from the Holy Sacraments.

I remember an Orthodox monk being asked what they did all day at the monastery. His reply?
"We fall down, we get back up. We fall down, we get back up."

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I think your thoughts on receiving Christ's Body and Blood are quite normal and human. I've had those thoughts many times throughout my years as a practicing Orthodox Christian before approaching the chalice, especially lately in my situation. I do the prayers before Communion and after Communion, and always cross myself and say the Jesus Prayer just before stepping forward to receive. I'm way overdue for confession too, with all the mess I've been going through, and will need to do that some time soon.

It's always good to examine ourselves before receiving and humbly approaching His Body and Blood, and I always have to remind myself God's love and mercy is completely beyond my comprehension.

God bless and be with you through your chrismation!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums