• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Worried about “believing” false teachers

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone!

I’m posting this today because I found myself in a situation that causes me great worry.So,for those of you who know me well,I’m a afflicted person of anxiety,and often times when I worry,which is always manifested on biblical matters,I seek reassurance and Christian advice for the matter.Well for a long time now I’ve been lax in being on guard and worried I’ve “believed”some false teachers,I cannot point out who,but one in particular is Kenneth Copeland.Now honestly I know deep down Copeland is a demonic satanic tyrant,it’s always the “what ifs” on false teachers.For example:I saw on Google images by someone obviously calling Copeland out on his lies and the scary part abou the matter was copeland dared mutter that God told him”he could save the world” unfortunately my mind went to the “what ifs” as to say,what if he means lead people to be saved?” A twisting of the simple meaning.Unfortunately I can’t shake the emotional acceptance of these what ifs.Honestly,Copeland deserves nothing more than fiery judgement for being a rotten liar.

But the part that worries me the most is I do a lot of Bible info searching,such as meanings behind verses,advice on certain things correlating to my struggles,etc. and I’m uncertain if I foolishly may have read something by someone false.

I’m saying this today because I was reading 2 John and he wrote to the widowed woman over the danger of false teachers.Also many people who know me know I’m absolutely petrified and Terrified of apostasy,it’s my deepest darkest fear,and the Bible speaks strongly of the danger of being swayed by false teachers.

Another thing is that i don’t feel much conviction,something that is greatly worrying me.I don’t feel any conviction,I confess sins regardless if I feel conviction or not.

Overall I’m very worried over the lack of feeling conviction and even more worried because I feel apathetic about posting here.I don’t want to trouble any brothers or sisters.

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you have itching ears. Don’t watch tv preachers. Are going to church, give pastor full attention. Calvary chapel preachers on YouTube are acceptable. Praying. Endure sound doctrine.
No I don’t have itching ears,and no I don’t watch any tv preachers at all,and never have.And I’m still trying to find a church.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What helped me most in this regard was reading the writings of Christian theologians through history and studying their theology. One of my most valuable courses in college was a year-long study of historical theology. We started with the church fathers (Tertullian, Athanasius, Augustine, etc.), then the medieval era (Anselm, Thomas Aquinas, etc.), then the Reformation (Luther, Calvin, etc.), then the modern era (Barth, Niebuhr, etc.). I didn't agree with all of them -- and they don't agree with each other on everything! -- but it gave me a firm grounding in what the mainstream of Christian doctrine is, and it gave me an understanding of how Christian theology has developed over time.

After that year, I was much less vulnerable to the off-the-wall ideas of various preachers I encountered. Sure, today's preachers can have ideas of value, but if their ideas are too different from all the theologians that came before them, then I can probably set those ideas aside and not worry about them too much.

I can probably recommend some books, if this is something you're interested in. One of my favorites for the first few centuries of the church is Early Christian Doctrines, by J.N.D. Kelly.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

I’m posting this today because I found myself in a situation that causes me great worry.So,for those of you who know me well,I’m a afflicted person of anxiety,and often times when I worry,which is always manifested on biblical matters,I seek reassurance and Christian advice for the matter.Well for a long time now I’ve been lax in being on guard and worried I’ve “believed”some false teachers,I cannot point out who,but one in particular is Kenneth Copeland.Now honestly I know deep down Copeland is a demonic satanic tyrant,it’s always the “what ifs” on false teachers.For example:I saw on Google images by someone obviously calling Copeland out on his lies and the scary part abou the matter was copeland dared mutter that God told him”he could save the world” unfortunately my mind went to the “what ifs” as to say,what if he means lead people to be saved?” A twisting of the simple meaning.Unfortunately I can’t shake the emotional acceptance of these what ifs.Honestly,Copeland deserves nothing more than fiery judgement for being a rotten liar.

But the part that worries me the most is I do a lot of Bible info searching,such as meanings behind verses,advice on certain things correlating to my struggles,etc. and I’m uncertain if I foolishly may have read something by someone false.

I’m saying this today because I was reading 2 John and he wrote to the widowed woman over the danger of false teachers.Also many people who know me know I’m absolutely petrified and Terrified of apostasy,it’s my deepest darkest fear,and the Bible speaks strongly of the danger of being swayed by false teachers.

Another thing is that i don’t feel much conviction,something that is greatly worrying me.I don’t feel any conviction,I confess sins regardless if I feel conviction or not.

Overall I’m very worried over the lack of feeling conviction and even more worried because I feel apathetic about posting here.I don’t want to trouble any brothers or sisters.
This sounds to me like another angle on your apostasy obsession. It sounds like you are afraid that you might inadvertently commit apostasy by coming across false teachings, or feeling like you agree with false teachings. OCD often makes us feel like our thoughts and feelings, and our accidental actions, are very powerful. So it sounds like OCD is trying to make you feel like you are in danger when you are not. In that case, the way to suck the power from the OCD is to ignore it when it is sending its false alarms about you being in danger, right?

• Friendly
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ said if you have done it unto the least of these my brethren you have done it unto me. So when we say things against other believes that simply believe different "is a demonic satanic" we are really saying that to Christ. Just because you or me may say or believe so and so is not of Christ that does not mean its true the simple fact the OP Knows nothing what so ever about Copeland.

See here in our state there was this huge fire it was all over the national news. All had to leave our homes but afterwards we get this call "This is Copeland Ministries what do you need? What ever it us you ask we will get it to you what ever it us you just ask we will get it to you". Now again the nation new about this fire and NO ONE but Copeland called to help. The kicker is.. how in the world did they get our phone number we didn't give to them? So that made me want to search more and sorry but you just can't call the local news and ask them they hate Copeland and you can't just GOOGLE. So I dug.. what I found and there are VIDEOS that oddly NEVER EVER get quoted talked about.. anyway they take truck loads of all kind of goods to fires, floods, earth quakes, storms, Tornados.,. you name it.

I have not touched what they do out side the USA. When I hear something that I think is in error.. I go to them and talk to them....I am no one and I can do it. Man I could go to their Church.. well they are not the enemy and Christ aka GOD told me to love them like He loves me. So me being of the light I will not focus on their sin.. how is my sin better? So I see what they do for Christ. Its like when Oral Roberts was alive in this forum I was on one thread was huge it was something Oral Roberts had said. So my thinking was Oral Roberts is not here and can not answer back or defend himself I will ask the man himself. See if GOD is in it He will open all the doors. So me being no one asked Oral Roberts.. and what he answered back was... NOTHING what so ever like they were going on and on about. They had the video and papers...yet hundreds of people not ONE reached out to ask the man of God what he was really saying. See 30-60 min is still not long enough to say everything but what got me is no one else asked him what he meant but what he said.

So I don't follow Copeland but I know what they do for Christ and there is NO ONE on this site that does 1/2 as much as they do. Then ask how many thousands come to Christ every week. Wait.. I still can't be the only one that asks?

So why would anyone want our Jesus...look what we do to our own.. oh we fall on our face will stay there forever because Christ died for us and every time we sin miss it we KNOW praise GOD He WILL forgive us yet someone that never sins against us never said one bad word against us look at the love the forgivenss the mercy the grace we show someone that never sins against us. We toss them under the buss make fun of them then turn right around "WE LOVE YOU JESUS.". If we can't love some one we can see hear that never sins against us..

This one hurt... this one did offend me. I don't agree with allot of what they do yet I know they believe Jesus came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin. I know I sin I miss it so if Christ forgives me I will do the same for those He died for...we were told to speak words of life..

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christ said if you have done it unto the least of these my brethren you have done it unto me. So when we say things against other believes that simply believe different "is a demonic satanic" we are really saying that to Christ. Just because you or me may say or believe so and so is not of Christ that does not mean its true the simple fact the OP Knows nothing what so ever about Copeland.

See here in our state there was this huge fire it was all over the national news. All had to leave our homes but afterwards we get this call "This is Copeland Ministries what do you need? What ever it us you ask we will get it to you what ever it us you just ask we will get it to you". Now again the nation new about this fire and NO ONE but Copeland called to help. The kicker is.. how in the world did they get our phone number we didn't give to them? So that made me want to search more and sorry but you just can't call the local news and ask them they hate Copeland and you can't just GOOGLE. So I dug.. what I found and there are VIDEOS that oddly NEVER EVER get quoted talked about.. anyway they take truck loads of all kind of goods to fires, floods, earth quakes, storms, Tornados.,. you name it.

I have not touched what they do out side the USA. When I hear something that I think is in error.. I go to them and talk to them....I am no one and I can do it. Man I could go to their Church.. well they are not the enemy and Christ aka GOD told me to love them like He loves me. So me being of the light I will not focus on their sin.. how is my sin better? So I see what they do for Christ. Its like when Oral Roberts was alive in this forum I was on one thread was huge it was something Oral Roberts had said. So my thinking was Oral Roberts is not here and can not answer back or defend himself I will ask the man himself. See if GOD is in it He will open all the doors. So me being no one asked Oral Roberts.. and what he answered back was... NOTHING what so ever like they were going on and on about. They had the video and papers...yet hundreds of people not ONE reached out to ask the man of God what he was really saying. See 30-60 min is still not long enough to say everything but what got me is no one else asked him what he meant but what he said.

So I don't follow Copeland but I know what they do for Christ and there is NO ONE on this site that does 1/2 as much as they do. Then ask how many thousands come to Christ every week. Wait.. I still can't be the only one that asks?

So why would anyone want our Jesus...look what we do to our own.. oh we fall on our face will stay there forever because Christ died for us and every time we sin miss it we KNOW praise GOD He WILL forgive us yet someone that never sins against us never said one bad word against us look at the love the forgivenss the mercy the grace we show someone that never sins against us. We toss them under the buss make fun of them then turn right around "WE LOVE YOU JESUS.". If we can't love some one we can see hear that never sins against us..

This one hurt... this one did offend me. I don't agree with allot of what they do yet I know they believe Jesus came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin. I know I sin I miss it so if Christ forgives me I will do the same for those He died for...we were told to speak words of life..
I wasn’t intending on offending you,but blade they could do the holiest of holiest of acts and still be unsaved.Copeland has proven countless times he is a false teacher,he preaches a gospel completely opposite to the Bible.He’s a dangerous man,believe it or not,when you dig deep into their theology it’s rooted in new age mysticism and false doctrine,if you compare their beliefs to the Bible,it’s constantly twisted.He’s a wolf,not a sheep

• Agree
Upvote 0

I's2C

Aug 28, 2021
North Platte
✟35,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

Do yourself a favor and look up Shepherds Chapel. Feeling the way you do with anxiety is not of GOD, for GOD is peace and knowing HIS plan and HIS WORD is half the battle. Stay in the WORD for everyday in the WORD is a good day!

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And I’m still trying to find a church.

Maybe you've posted about this in other threads that I haven't read, but what is making the church search difficult for you? Is it transportation difficulties, or distance (e.g., the nearest church is 50 miles away), or difficulty trusting that the church won't lie to you, or something else?

Being a Christian all by yourself, without any help from other people, is hard. It's possible, but it's hard.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe you've posted about this in other threads that I haven't read, but what is making the church search difficult for you? Is it transportation difficulties, or distance (e.g., the nearest church is 50 miles away), or difficulty trusting that the church won't lie to you, or something else?

Being a Christian all by yourself, without any help from other people, is hard. It's possible, but it's hard.
Right,it’s doctrine.The one church I want to go to near me is a Lutheran one,BUT they hold the Catholics modified version of the Ten Commandments and confessions.Something j know isn’t spoken of in the Bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right,it’s doctrine.The one church I want to go to near me is a Lutheran one,BUT they hold the Catholics modified version of the Ten Commandments and confessions.Something j know isn’t spoken of in the Bible

Are you able to attend a church knowing that you disagree with a small percentage of what they do, but knowing that you agree with them about the other 90-95% of what they believe and practice? Or do you need a higher level of agreement than that?

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just to let you know, there is no Catholic modified version of the Ten Commandments. There was no punctuation in the original commandments, and Catholics, as I am sure Protestants, did their best to break the commandments into ten. Catholics make sure to put the entire relevant Commandment text of the Bible right in the Catechism, you can't do any better than that. Realize that there are good Christians who may interpret the Commandments differently as well. The same goes for what the Bible says about confession.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just to let you know, there is no Catholic modified version of the Ten Commandments. There was no punctuation in the original commandments, and Catholics, as I am sure Protestants, did their best to break the commandments into ten. Catholics make sure to put the entire relevant Commandment text of the Bible right in the Catechism, you can't do any better than that. Realize that there are good Christians who may interpret the Commandments differently as well. The same goes for what the Bible says about confession.
I’m only saying that because I’m extremely cautious

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m only saying that because I’m extremely cautious
Understandable. Caution is good. Remember it's not a perfect world, we can try and make the best choices available, not perfect. Remember most of all that God loves you and is on your side.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Do you have itching ears. Don’t watch tv preachers. Are going to church, give pastor full attention. Calvary chapel preachers on YouTube are acceptable. Praying. Endure sound doctrine.
II second that:
Jack HIbbs
Skip Heitzeig
Joe Focht
Chuck Smith
Amir Tsarfati
any Calvary Chapel pastor really...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
II second that:
Jack HIbbs
Skip Heitzeig
Joe Focht
Chuck Smith
Amir Tsarfati
any Calvary Chapel pastor really...

i used to live in baywood/ los Osos! In the 70s. Montana de oro state park, Moro bay estuary. Went to cal poly a couple years.

Upvote 0