The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. -Matthew 4:1

From this the Holy Fathers seem to be saying that the world is the wilderness, but in today’s world many of the cities like Las Vegas, Hollywood, New York, Miami, etc are the “wildernesses” where temptations lurk.

Obviously, temptations can also lurk in rural areas, but not to the extent of the cities. I’d say pious and Orthodox Christians living in a metropolis are spiritual warriors, indeed.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. -Matthew 4:1

From this the Holy Fathers seem to be saying that the world is the wilderness, but in today’s world many of the cities like Las Vegas, Hollywood, New York, Miami, etc are the “wildernesses” where temptations lurk.

Obviously, temptations can also lurk in rural areas, but not to the extent of the cities. I’d say pious and Orthodox Christians living in a metropolis are spiritual warriors, indeed.
While there are many Saints living in the world (there are several accounts where God has revealed to pious monks that their own holiness was surpassed by some individual living in the city), I'm not so sure that the Fathers equate the wilderness to the city. Entering the desert removes a lot of distractions that keep a person from seeing themselves clearly. Away from the hustle and bustle you are left with your own thoughts and impulses which can be full of temptations.

• Informative
Reactions: Justin-H.S.
Upvote 0