dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In referring to 'workplace politics' I don't of course mean discussion of political parties in the workplace (though that happens), but the inner politics of a particular workplace, the secret alliances etc, gossiping, who dislikes who etc. Not the policies of the workplace which one obviously needs to know.

Several positions I have held in the past have been office/clerical jobs, and I remember my first training post shortly after leaving school, and my first taste of office politics. I recall two members of staff talking about something and then they said to me "This is our boss we are talking about". I had entered the company for six months of work experience and had been through an induction before being placed in a particular department in the organisation. It really soured the atmosphere. I had hardly been introduced to the boss as when I arrived he had to leave for a meeting.

I have always tried to avoid workplace politics of this sort, but is it really possible? Later jobs I had were in the retail sector, on the shop floor, and I again I wasn't long into the job before existing staff began to share what they thought of the boss. I accept this is fairly commonplace. I endeavor to speak well of others in any job as far as is realistic and good faith permits, I don't pretend to have no faults and have made mistakes in the past. But at times I have been the subject of malicious gossip, and even felt at times things were aimed to pretty much destroy me. It left me with recurrent bouts of depression for years.

I want to develop a Christian/Biblical perspective on this.

Any thoughts. Any books worth reading on it?

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In referring to 'workplace politics' I don't of course mean discussion of political parties in the workplace (though that happens), but the inner politics of a particular workplace, the secret alliances etc, gossiping, who dislikes who etc. Not the policies of the workplace which one obviously needs to know.

Several positions I have held in the past have been office/clerical jobs, and I remember my first training post shortly after leaving school, and my first taste of office politics. I recall two members of staff talking about something and then they said to me "This is our boss we are talking about". I had entered the company for six months of work experience and had been through an induction before being placed in a particular department in the organisation. It really soured the atmosphere. I had hardly been introduced to the boss as when I arrived he had to leave for a meeting.

I have always tried to avoid workplace politics of this sort, but is it really possible? Later jobs I had were in the retail sector, on the shop floor, and I again I wasn't long into the job before existing staff began to share what they thought of the boss. I accept this is fairly commonplace. I endeavor to speak well of others in any job as far as is realistic and good faith permits, but at times I have been the subject of malicious gossip, and even felt at times things were aimed to pretty much destroy me. It left me with a recurrent bouts of depression for years. I don't pretend to have no faults and have made mistakes. But

Any thoughts.

Romans 1:29 condemns "whisperers",meaning "gossips". Gossiping about other people is an evil to be avoided.

In "office politics" as well as "soccer team politics" and even in a lot of caes church politics you are going to run across gossips. It's best to simply remain silent and not participate in it.

If you want to try to tone it down, you can always say, "but (whomever) did do (something good) so (he/she) isn't all bad.

And leave it at that.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I have always tried to avoid workplace politics of this sort, but is it really possible? Later jobs I had were in the retail sector, on the shop floor, and I again I wasn't long into the job before existing staff began to share what they thought of the boss. I accept this is fairly commonplace. I endeavor to speak well of others in any job as far as is realistic and good faith permits, I don't pretend to have no faults and have made mistakes in the past. But at times I have been the subject of malicious gossip, and even felt at times things were aimed to pretty much destroy me. It left me with recurrent bouts of depression for years.

One way to discourage gossiping is to refuse to listen to a gossiper. Because,a gossiper loves and needs an audience.

About workplace politics ,I once worked in a Doctor's Office. And, I was the only male employee .The Office Manager informed me that I was the highest paid employee there. In order to keep my weight down,I usually eat only crackers and fruit for lunch .One day,one of my Lab co-workers told me what someone said about me.She said,"If he is getting paid so much,why is he only eating crakers for lunch?" I get my raises in the month of December. Well, one November,I bought a brand new car.I did not park my brand new car in my regular parking space. Nor, did I tell anyone that I just bought a brand new car. I figured that if my co-workers had seen my brand new car,I probably would not have received my raise the following month. After,I received my raise,next month,in December,I stared parking my new car in my regular parking space.:) Afterwards,one of my co-workers told me,"Oh S..... you got a brand new car!" To this day,I am fully convinced,that if they had seen my brand new in November. I would not have received my raise in December. After 40 years,I had learned how to play the game.:)

Upvote 0

KingdomLeast

Aug 6, 2018
INDIANAPOLIS
✟30,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adults in the workplace too often act like High School kids. There is politics wherever you go, in the workplace, at home and especially in the Church, you can't avoid it, all you can do is change how you deal with it.

I work with workplace politics everyday, with management, the union, I pay my dues and don't bother with the ins and outs of it.

I come in, do my job and go home.

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Adults in the workplace too often act like High School kids. There is politics wherever you go, in the workplace, at home and especially in the Church, you can't avoid it, all you can do is change how you deal with it.

I work with workplace politics everyday, with management, the union, I pay my dues and don't bother with the ins and outs of it.

I come in, do my job and go home.
My philosophy is that I am there to make money ,not to make friends. But,to have co-workers as friends can be nice.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One way to discourage gossiping is to refuse to listen to a gossiper. Because,a gossiper loves and needs an audience.

About workplace politics ,I once worked in a Doctor's Office. And, I was the only male employee .The Office Manager informed me that I was the highest paid employee there. In order to keep my weight down,I usually eat only crackers and fruit for lunch .One day,one of my Lab co-workers told me what someone said about me.She said,"If he is getting paid so much,why is he only eating crakers for lunch?" I get my raises in the month of December. Well, one November,I bought a brand new car.I did not park my brand new car in my regular parking space. Nor, did I tell anyone that I just bought a brand new car. I figured that if my co-workers had seen my brand new car,I probably would not have received my raise the following month. After,I received my raise,next month,in December,I stared parking my new car in my regular parking space.:) Afterwards,one of my co-workers told me,"Oh S..... you got a brand new car!" To this day,I am fully convinced,that if they had seen my brand new in November. I would not have received my raise in December. After 40 years,I had learned how to play the game.:)

Well that seems sensible, if you had a raise due, your spending before has nothing to do with it, you could have been saving for years for that car.

I generally try to make it clear that I don't like people to complain about other members of staff they have an issue with to me, but that they should either resolve it with that member of staff or speak to the supervisor / manager, then they soon drop it if its a trivial matter. Other times I have been so far removed from what is going on that a whole session in the boss's office including tears between two supervisors who disliked each other has been and gone before I knew. No skin off my nose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KingdomLeast

Aug 6, 2018
INDIANAPOLIS
✟30,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My philosophy is that I am there to make money ,not to make friends. But,to have co-workers as friends can be nice.

Funny because whenever someone tells me "I don't like you", I just say "that's okay, I didn't come here to make friends, but earn a paycheck".

But yes, it's nice to have co-workers you can pal around with.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
that's how I role.

I go in, do my job, and go home. work relationships, I can take it or leave it.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the biblical perspective is to take no part in it.

I would agree but can you give us a scripture or two? I think I recall verses in Proverbs regarding not getting involved in others disputes, but are there any proverbs there that relate to the workplace?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that the best way to handle gossip is to have a policy of not slamming anyone and just tell people you try to keep it positive.

But say it in such a way that they consider it more about "that's just who you are" rather than that you are judging who they are.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What about how to handle gossip if its related to oneself? I am not talking about silly tittle-tattle about whether or not someone has a lot of money, that can be a nuisance, but best ignored.

It's the more subtle insinuations about honesty or competence I am referring to. Say something goes wrong, the till doesn't balance, or something is done wrong, its not clear who is at fault and other members of staff makes insinuations (sometimes this happens when a junior member of staff doesn't want suspicion falling on them, they try to distract attention)

What to do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship

You live in the world which is nasty and evil and hateful. Sorry but gossip is meant to destroy people. In the Bible God says he hates when people spread lies about others proverbs 6:16-19. There's the bibical take on it. God hates it too. All I can tell you is pray and seek counsel for depression and maybe find a job where the environment is less vile. I've had better luck working in male dominated environments cause it just seems to be more about work then gossip and back biting and I'm naturally quiet so I don't like to get involved with gossip for some reason gossipy chatty people like to pick on quiet people I've noticed so I don't know but I'd steer clear of places that look hostile and full of gossipy people when you interview.

If you really hate it that much and for mental health I'd maybe look into remote work. That's what I want. Or maybe gig work or your own business .easier said then done I know...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics is "who gets what, when and how" (Lasswell). Thus, anyone that works is involved in politics one way or another. There is nothing evil in participating, but it is how you interact that defines a Christian. The word sets a great standard, and certainly with God on your side, you should have favor to be successful in the workplace. I would start with Watchman Nee's book Authority and Submission as it will lay a foundation that will help you avoid all kinds of issues.

Upvote 0