N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone work in healthcare?I am currently studying to be a healthcare manager,and want to know anyone's experience working in healthcare admin or any type of medical career.I also would like to know how do you deal with ethical issues within healthcare as it pertains to Christianity.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone work in healthcare?I am currently studying to be a healthcare manager,and want to know anyone's experience working in healthcare admin or any type of medical career.I also would like to know how do you deal with ethical issues within healthcare as it pertains to Christianity.
I have worked in emergency departments for ~25 years, in clinical, not administrative roles.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How was your experience working as a RN and nurse practitioner.
It has been a rewarding career. But that is a pretty broad question. Is there something more specific you would like to know?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What did you specialize in as a RN?
I worked on a general and vascular surgical floor for 3 years, then did a year and a half of emergency nursing before becoming a nurse practitioner. I spent a few years in family practice in remote, isolated communities, then taught for a few years, before going back to the emergency department where I have been for the last ~20 years as an NP.

My formal national certifications are in emergency care - Certified Emergency Nurse, Certified Pediatric Emergency Nurse, Emergncy Nurse Practitioner - in addition to my required Family Nurse Practitioner certification.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I worked on a general and vascular surgical floor for 3 years, then did a year and a half of emergency nursing before becoming a nurse practitioner. I spent a few years in family practice in remote, isolated communities, then taught for a few years, before going back to the emergency department where I have been for the last ~20 years as an NP.

My formal national certifications are in emergency care - Certified Emergency Nurse, Certified Pediatric Emergency Nurse, Emergncy Nurse Practitioner - in addition to my required Family Nurse Practitioner certification.
What made you want to become a nurse?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What made you want to become a nurse?
I didn’t want to, actually. I wanted to be a paramedic, but when I was doing first response work in high school, a paramedic instructor, who was also a nurse, encouraged me to get my nursing first. He said that paramedicine was a good career, but it was a young person’s job, and I would not want to be carrying stretchers outside in inclement weather, etc. when I was older, and so would want a different career later in life. He suggested I do nursing first, as it is difficult to go back to school later in life (probably easier now with online programs than back then, with only night school or snail mail correspondence courses - things have changed a lot), and the broad education of nursing woulld help my paramedic studies as well. I took his advice, completed a Bachelor’s degree in nursing, realized that nursing had a wider vsriety of career options and paid significantly better, so stayed on that career path instead (though I did go back later to get my paramedic certification as well).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I didn’t want to, actually. I wanted to be a paramedic, but when I was doing first response work in high school, a paramedic instructor, who was also a nurse, encouraged me to get my nursing first. He said that paramedicine was a good career, but it was a young person’s job, and I would not want to be carrying stretchers outside in inclement weather, etc. when I was older, and so would want a different career later in life. He suggested I do nursing first, as it is difficult to go back to school later in life (probably easier now with online programs than back then, with only night school or snail mail correspondence courses - things have changed a lot), and the broad education of nursing woulld help my paramedic studies as well. I took his advice, completed a Bachelor’s degree in nursing, realized that nursing had a wider vsriety of career options and paid significantly better, so stayed on that career path instead (though I did go back later to get my paramedic certification as well).
I am currently studying healthcare management,but I do want to go back to school for respiratory therapy or something medical.Thank you for sharing your experience

• Friendly
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am currently studying healthcare management,but I do want to go back to school for respiratory therapy or something medical.Thank you for sharing your experience
My pleasure. I am happy to try to answer other questions you might have, for whatever my opinion is worth.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with stress on the job?
On the job, I tend to be too busy to worry about it. I just work through it and get through the day. Afterwards, when I get home, it sometimes takes its toll. I’ve seen a lot of people die over the years, from infants to the elderly, violently or peacefully, from illness and injury. I’ve treated victims of child abuse, domestic assault, sexual abuse, and violent crime. I’ve been yelled at, cursed, spit on, punched, kicked, groped, and threatened. (Most emergency department personnel have, of course...none of this is unique to me). But I’ve also seen great acts of compassion, touching moments, great love shown.

I deal with it by trying to distract myself when not at work. In my position, I am not on call, so when I am not at work, I don’t think about it. I pray, I distract myself with hobbies, I have been active in my church, I enjoy time with my wife and kids. It helps me to have a spiritual grounding in Christ. I think a lot of cynicism and outer hardness seen in some emergency personnel comes as a protective coping mechanism to deal with the harshness that occurs. But sometimes it gets to me [shrug]...that’s life, I guess.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
On the job, I tend to be too busy to worry about it. I just work through it and get through the day. Afterwards, when I get home, it sometimes takes its toll. I’ve seen a lot of people die over the years, from infants to the elderly, violently or peacefully, from illness and injury. I’ve treated victims of child abuse, domestic assault, sexual abuse, and violent crime. I’ve been yelled at, cursed, spit on, punched, kicked, groped, and threatened. (Most emergency department personnel have, of course...none of this is unique to me). But I’ve also seen great acts of compassion, touching moments, great love shown.

I deal with it by trying to distract myself when not at work. In my position, I am not on call, so when I am not at work, I don’t think about it. I pray, I distract myself with hobbies, I have been active in my church, I enjoy time with my wife and kids. It helps me to have a spiritual grounding in Christ. I think a lot of cynicism and outer hardness seen in some emergency personnel comes as a protective coping mechanism to deal with the harshness that occurs. But sometimes it gets to me [shrug]...that’s life, I guess.
That is one thing that I have worried about,because I do not want to become stoic from seeing so much,but I do not want to get stressed out or burnt out from the job.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess too, I deal with the stress by remembering the times when I feel I have made a difference - when I have helped in a successful resuscitation, when I have delivered a healthy baby, when I have helped comfort a frightened child, or given pain relief to someone suffering. The cards of thanks I get sometimes also help make it worthwhile.

• Agree
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is one thing that I have worried about,because I do not want to become stoic from seeing so much,but I do not want to get stressed out or burnt out from the job.
It is easy to get burnt out, especially if your professional role takes over the greater part of your identity. That is why I try not to take things home - at home, I am a father and a husband, etc., not an NP. In all times, I am a Christian, and that makes a difference for me.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is easy to get burnt out, especially if your professional role takes over the greater part of your identity. That is why I try not to take things home - at home, I am a father and a husband, etc., not an NP. In all times, I am a Christian, and that makes a difference for me.
I see what you mean.I appreciate the advice,I am trying to get a feel of what I may encounter working in healthcare.

• Friendly
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see what you mean.I appreciate the advice,I am trying to get a feel of what I may encounter working in healthcare.
Every area of health care has its stressful aspects, but I do believe that emergency has the potential to be one of the more stressful areas. It is high intensity and chaotic, with a lot of emotion and uncertainty. Some areas of healthcare are less stressful and more orderly.

Upvote 0