MO.
✟248,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Note: It's my opinion that the intention of the title of this article does not mean the Christian's walk will be without work, but rather that the obtaining of salvation is without works, and that any works intended otherwise are work-less (vain labor).

Scripture often plainly testifies that God’s law to the Jewish nation was not to justify, for “by the deeds of the Law nobody shall be justified” (Rom 3:20). Man’s guilt being revealed to him incurred accountability for condemnation (Jhn 9:41; 15:22, 24). This is all of which gives rightful place concerning “the righteous requirement of the law” (Rom 8:4)—to condemn for disobedience (Eze 18:4, 20), “for by the law is the knowledge of sin” (Rom 3:20).

Thus, even if the Decalogue could have been perfectly followed by its recipients it would yet have been useless labor in effecting forgiveness (though establishing earthly morality), because this was obtained only via the sin sacrifice of the high priest for his and the people’s sins that were committed unintentionally (Num 15:24-31). Willful disobedience has always evinced unbelief!

Concerning retaining redemption, it’s sensible to note that if works could retain it, they could also serve to effect it; for that (Who) alone which effects salvation is that alone which retains it.
-NC

Work-less Walk

It is a fearful thing to turn back to the merciless and unfulfillable demands of the law from the grace that is ours by faith in Christ. How is it possible? First we must see how irrational it is, that we may never allow our reason to be played tricks upon buy the madness of Satan. To strive hopelessly in the face of abundant achievement, freely procured for us, is surely to stand forth in all the disreputable glory of petty and perverse pride.

The sheer presumption is laughable if we could stand out from ourselves and see it. That we do not see this when we are fixedly intent upon our narrow legalism indicates that we have lowered our sights to view only a part of God’s impossible demands by the law, and have exalted that above Christ; failing to realize that law-keeping cannot stand before Christ, inasmuch as He will not allow His perfect keeping of the law in life and in death to be set alongside our ridiculous efforts.

This is to vie with Him where we have no hope of qualification (effecting and retaining salvation—NC); and so great is the gulf fixed between His achievement and ours that in all honor it would be as though He must withdraw as soon as a competitor appears on the scene. To see the gracious Savior bending over us with the lavish dainties of His grace, and then some ragamuffin come and wave away the luscious food with a contemptuous, “No thank you, I have my crust and my watery soup!” The tragedy is not that he tried himself—in certain circumstances that would be good—but that he deprived himself of grace so rich that only an empty stomach could hope to have sufficient capacity for it.

The two are mutually exclusive, because for God to admit man’s aid in His own salvation (other than showing it—NC) is to admit that which he most needs to be saved from, his pride. Allow that, even a grain of it, to enter His heaven and the whole would be defiled (Gal 5:9). The great thing therefore in discerning Christianity is to be able to distinguish the categorical difference between that which is done in love of Christ and that which is done in exaltation of self and its particular codification of God’s law.

The two are as opposed as heaven and hell, as God and the Devil; and happy is that man and that church which can discern the difference between things that look alike; or rather between things which may both belie their true nature, the evil appearing far more religious that the good.

Christianity does not need to put on airs. So true faith rests and does not run around in circles seeking to impress others with its religiosity. When the time comes for expression, it looks up to the Father who alone works in its heart, and He sends down His gracious enablement and the humble child of God, who looks far less religious than the supposed ardent doer of works, becomes incandescent with the life of Christ. Yet no halo appears—it is just that God’s servant has become radiantly alive.

All this wonderfully natural miracle is lost on the laborious law worker: he is on his own. He must do it all himself. Nor is there any expectation of the Lord stepping in by His Spirit and doing the work. It is all grinding work, and no gracious operation of the Spirit, and it is that which makes Jack the legalist such a dull, obtuse and bitter boy.

Those who recommend new converts to get busy immediately have forgotten the long experience of that new convert Paul in the Arabian Desert (where Damascus lies - Gal 1:17—NC). Only he who has learned to rest and wait is fit for service. One may prefer the hard-working man and think he is the right type—thousands do—but he has made one mistake. He has shut God out of his universe. True, he hopes to meet Him in heaven—at least as an equal. But someone had that idea before him—the Devil.

- Wm Still

Excerpt from MJS devotional for January 9, 2019:

“The world, the flesh, and the devil say, Be powerful. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit say, Be powerless — “for My strength is made perfect in [your] weakness” (2 Cor. 12:9). - MJS

“There would be little harm in trying to imitate Christ if such an endeavor did not hide from us what our Lord really desires; and so keep us back from ‘life more abundant.’ Christ has come Himself into our hearts to dwell there, and what He wants is to live His life in us, as the Apostle Paul says, ‘For to me to live is Christ.’ Christ was the very source and mainspring of all he was and did. What a wonderful thing this is! We would be driven to despair if Christ had simply left us an example to follow or imitate, for we have no power within ourselves to do it. We must have a new source—a new spring of action, and Christ Himself wants to be just that for us.” -E.C.H.
None But The Hungry Heart

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could anyone really improve on the inspired wording Paul wrote on this? --

1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2 NIV

Hallelujah.

Saved by incomparable grace and mercy, great love. Now, on to do the good works we were created in Christ Jesus to do, which God has prepared for us to do, which we will do out of love for Him.

Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟248,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Could anyone really improve on the inspired wording Paul wrote on this? --

1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Ephesians 2 NIV

Hallelujah.

Saved by incomparable grace and mercy, great love. Now, on to do the good works we were created in Christ Jesus to do, which God has prepared for us to do, which we will do out of love for Him.
Hi and thanks for your reply! Amen to the "good works" (which is all contained in the "fruit of the Spirit," and done by Him using the believer. It's always good to identify that works are only for showing God's favor, and never for obtaining favor which we have in Christ, because many have not understood this yet.

Example: "By works a man is justified" (Jam 2:24 - justified defined in this sense is "to show or display," not to produce).

Blessings!

Upvote 0

Gr8Grace

Mar 11, 2018
South Dakota
✟75,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note: It's my opinion that the intention of the title of this article does not mean the Christian's walk will be without work, but rather that the obtaining of salvation is without works, and that any works intended otherwise are work-less (vain labor).
So you have to ask yourself the very real question. Why do you believe if Christians don't work, they were really not saved?

You know what the real problem is? Every church in the world teaches 'production skills'.....Do this, don't do that, clean up this and that, feed the poor, quit sin, be nice, and WORK.

But nary a church teaches SPIRITUAL SKILLS so they can rightly produce.

SO the debate rages. Loss of salvation or not really saved......based on WORKS. Most pastors and believer's have DEAD works.................because they have never been taught the spiritual skills.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟248,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you have to ask yourself the very real question. Why do you believe if Christians don't work, they were really not saved?
A believer will show their faith by their works (Jam 2:8), and a false professor can also show false works which looks exactly the same, but we know the difference will show most in the lasting of them, because false works eventually cease (if that's what you're talking about).

Blessings

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Works of faith is a part of one's faith (James 2:18). If one does not have works of faith, then their faith is dead (James 2:17). A dead faith cannot access the saving grace of God that is a gift. Hebrews 5:9 and 1 John 1:7 both say you need obedience as a part of eternal life or Christ's shed blood. Without this obedience, there is no salvation. Most have written off doing any kind of works for God as heresy. What is heresy is Works Alone Salvationism (Without God's grace). We are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace; But grace is not a license to sin, but grace is a means to overcome sin.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟248,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Works of faith is a part of one's faith (James 2:18). If one does not have works of faith, then their faith is dead (James 2:17).
Hi, and I think we may agree here but express it differently. It's my understanding that James Chapter 2 expresses that there cannot be faith without works, because faith is evident by what it produces, same that all things show some form of evidence manifesting their presence.

So, no works are due to no faith because faith is always shown by works. I believe this is the sense of the last verse 26, that as their is no manifestation of life in a body that has no spirit, so there is no manifestation of an existing faith in one without works, e.g. no works means no faith.

Blessings!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@WordSword:

Hmmm, I am not sure if we agree. I believe grievous sin (like lying, lusting after a person, and hate, etc.) can separate a believer from God unless they repent (confess of that sin to the Lord Jesus Christ).

I also believe that Paul was not talking about all forms of works in regards to salvation as being evil. Paul was talking about "Works Alone Salvationism" (that did not include God's grace). Paul's attack was against "Circumcision Salvationism" and or in going back to the Old Law (that did not include God's grace).

You believe that works are are result of a changed person, yes?

While I do believe this is true to a degree, I do not believe God over-writes a person's free will to be certain way after they have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior. We still have to endure to the end to be saved (see my next post). We still have to obey God to be saved after receiving God's grace through faith for salvation.

Jesus says if you will enter into life, keep the commandments (Matthew 19:17). This would be the keeping of the Moral Law (like do not murder, do not covet, do not steal, etc.) (See Matthew 19:18-19).

Jesus agrees with the lawyer on the truth that in order to inherit eternal life, one must love God (including certain details), and one must love your neighbor (See Luke 10:25-28).

Jesus says that we have to help the poor in this life; If we do not do so, we can be cast into everlasting fire (See Matthew 25:31-46).

Jesus essentially alludes to the fact that not spreading the gospel in this life is a loss of salvation for us in Luke 9:62.

But we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace. We cannot be saved by "Works Alone" (Which is what Paul was fighting against). People today have taken Paul's words out of context and they falsely assume that any kind of work does not deal with salvation (Including works of faith). So a believer can sin and still be saved on some level. But this is not how salvation works, though.

Salvation includes both God's grace through faith and works of faith.

Works of faith are not forced upon us by a new nature. Even in having a new nature: We have free will to choose to do good or evil. We still have to choose every day this day in whom we will serve.

For why would God say the following in Scripture?

"Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:23).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We need to endure in our faith to continue to be saved:

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;" Hebrews 3:13-14.

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." James 1:12.

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." Matthew 24:13.

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." Revelation 2:10.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Revelation 2:7.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." Revelation 2:11.

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." Revelation 3:5.

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1:21.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, Hebrews 3:13 talks about the warning of being hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. So "Salvation" is not some kind of automatic thing alone after being saved by God's grace. We have to endure to the end to be saved and obey the Lord as a part of the salvation process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟248,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe grievous sin (like lying, lusting after a person, and hate, etc.) can separate a believer from God unless they repent (confess of that sin to the Lord Jesus Christ).
I have an appreciation of your post here, in that it all addresses significant doctrines. First I want to express, that to me, believers are those who are "born again (permanently in my understanding), and being reborn their lives will show it by the lifestyle they lead. Therefore believers wills are not to sin because "God works in you both to will (desire) and to do of His good pleasure (Phl 2:13).This means the will of the believer is always to please God and no longer "sin willfully" (Heb 10:26). Intentional sin evinces that the "truth" was not received after knowing it.

I want to reply to the rest of your post but I think it might be unnecessary if my above reply is not understood. But I can reply to the rest if you like.

God's blessings to you!

Upvote 0