Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For anyone who has moved in a word of knowledge, how did you know the Holy Spirit was revealing something to you? Is it a urge that you just know that you know? I've been praying for this gift and am curious in what ways I can expect the Holy Spirit to speak to me.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
For anyone who has moved in a word of knowledge, how did you know the Holy Spirit was revealing something to you? Is it a urge that you just know that you know? I've been praying for this gift and am curious in what ways I can expect the Holy Spirit to speak to me.
The question that I have is why do you want this gift?

If you are not sure how the Holy Spirit speaks to you, it may be that you are not fellowshipping with the Lord in a way where you have learned to discern the Lord's voice apart from the voices that come from the world, flesh, or the devil. The promise is that if you seek the Lord with all your heart, you will find Him.

The point to remember is that it is the Holy Spirit who distributes His gifts according to His own will, and not ours. Therefore, the first step in determining whether a particular spiritual gift is for us, is to be sure that it is God's will for us. Unless we spend time with the Lord in prayer and His Word, we may try to use a gift unwisely with harmful consequences. The Scripture says, "Be not unwise, but understanding what the will of God is."

It takes a high level of maturity, much experience in the ways of God, and much wisdom, and great love and compassion for others to be used in the Word of Knowledge. And the person has to be involved in the appropriate ministry in which it can be a valuable and useful tool, especially in personal counselling. Therefore, the gift is not award to anyone who wants it for the sake of having it.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟120,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

If you are born again you have it....But the need for word of knowledge is necessary when you are in a situation that you cannot ascertain with your senses...then you ask God .... and word of wisdom= what to do.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,119.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are born again you have it....But the need for word of knowledge is necessary when you are in a situation that you cannot ascertain with your senses...then you ask God .... and word of wisdom= what to do.

Then why would Paul tell to the saved to ask for spiritual gifts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that praying for God’s Will in your life is best. There is much to learn from receiving the fruits of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that praying for God’s Will in your life is best. There is much to learn from receiving the fruits of the Spirit.
do we receive the fruits of the Spirit? I thought those are the outward signs of our walking with the Spirit.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Then why would Paul tell to the saved to ask for spiritual gifts?
A good point.

Being filled with the Spirit, we have the potential for manifesting any of the gifts of the Spirit. But the word "gift" is a bit misleading. I would rather use the word "tool", because it better describes how the Holy Spirit uses people to build up the body of Christ. But it all depends on knowing the will of God in any area of ministry, and what tools are needed to fulfill that ministry.

Because Paul generally viewed the Corinthians as still being "carnal" in their thinking, and being able to only be able to take the milk of the Word, he felt the need to instruct them on the gifts of the Spirit to guide them into greater maturity in the way they related and ministered to each other. The problem with the Corinthians was that all they could do in services was to speak in tongues. Paul wanted them to grow up, put tongues where it should be, and start to prophesy. This was the first step in being able to use the tools of the Spirit in order to edify others in the meeting. He believed that as they grew in their experience and maturity, they would be able to use the other spiritual tools.

Therefore, if anyone entered into one of the five fold ministries as described in Ephesians, then they would ask the Lord for the specific spiritual tools to effectively perform that ministry.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Good question. Sometimes i just know something. It's like a thought, but it's not. It is simply knowing. I was in a meeting once, and I had this strong sense that someone was praying in near desperation. That person needed to know that God had heard the prayer. When the opportunity came, I spoke it out. The woman next to me shed a few tears and said she'd been praying for her unsaved husband.

I was at a counseling session. The individual was inclined to be passive. I had a word for her, "No one hands out prizes to spectators". I'd never heard that said by anyone previously. I did not think it up.

When you know, you know. Ask God to keep you from error. Flashing thoughts can appear to be of God but are not.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When God speaks to you, you know it. There is a peace and certainty about it that is like nothing else.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Sometimes i just know something. It's like a thought, but it's not. It is simply knowing. I was in a meeting once, and I had this strong sense that someone was praying in near desperation. That person needed to know that God had heard the prayer. When the opportunity came, I spoke it out. The woman next to me shed a few tears and said she'd been praying for her unsaved husband.

I was at a counseling session. The individual was inclined to be passive. I had a word for her, "No one hands out prizes to spectators". I'd never heard that said by anyone previously. I did not think it up.

When you know, you know. Ask God to keep you from error. Flashing thoughts can appear to be of God but are not.
Thank you for the explanation :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agree with Aussie Pete.

A minister was having a lot of trouble at their church and I just suddenly knew details. Then we asks for a word of wisdom about what to do.

Definitely asks the Lord to keep from error.

I've read in books that the word of knowledge and wisdom usually go hand in hand. Thank you :)

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question that I have is why do you want this gift?

If you are not sure how the Holy Spirit speaks to you, it may be that you are not fellowshipping with the Lord in a way where you have learned to discern the Lord's voice apart from the voices that come from the world, flesh, or the devil. The promise is that if you seek the Lord with all your heart, you will find Him.

The point to remember is that it is the Holy Spirit who distributes His gifts according to His own will, and not ours. Therefore, the first step in determining whether a particular spiritual gift is for us, is to be sure that it is God's will for us. Unless we spend time with the Lord in prayer and His Word, we may try to use a gift unwisely with harmful consequences. The Scripture says, "Be not unwise, but understanding what the will of God is."

It takes a high level of maturity, much experience in the ways of God, and much wisdom, and great love and compassion for others to be used in the Word of Knowledge. And the person has to be involved in the appropriate ministry in which it can be a valuable and useful tool, especially in personal counselling. Therefore, the gift is not award to anyone who wants it for the sake of having it.

I guess I'm not following what you are saying here. I don't think a person "has" to be spiritually mature to have a spiritual gift. The entire book of 1 Corinthians shows that. Plus in that book it says to earnestly desire the gifts, so I think if someone wants a gift it's a completely biblical thing and God's will.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟794,806.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ByHisSpirit, that's the way I see it, too. Granted the church is to help equip the saints.

Dont know how mature Paul was but in the Acts 16 account, the slave girl had been declaring them God's servants for many days. Paul didn't cast the spirit of divination out until God used him in discerning of spirits.

And why would Paul tell Timothy "This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare..." (I Tim 1 )
Paul would have advised Timothy to just hang in there til he was mature enough.

And Jesus' disciples were reluctant to accept Saul in the beginning. "And when Saul had come to Jerusalem, he tried to join the disciples; but they were all afraid of him, and did not believe that he was a disciple" Acts 9:26. (Using the maturity yardstick - I don't know how mature they were. But guess they matured and caught up with Saul's maturity level because things changed "And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision." Gal 2:9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've read in books that the word of knowledge and wisdom usually go hand in hand. Thank you :)
So you know, knowing something is good. Sometimes that's all that is necessary. Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know. Wisdom is knowing what to do, when to do do it and how to go about it.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
do we receive the fruits of the Spirit? I thought those are the outward signs of our walking with the Spirit.
Yes they are outward signs of an inward change. If you are following the Spirit, these fruits will happen in your life. It’s a natural consequence that happens over time. Hang in there and remember blessed is he who waits on The Lord.
Pss.27

1. [14] Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I guess I'm not following what you are saying here. I don't think a person "has" to be spiritually mature to have a spiritual gift. The entire book of 1 Corinthians shows that. Plus in that book it says to earnestly desire the gifts, so I think if someone wants a gift it's a completely biblical thing and God's will.
Paul was quite clear that church leadership should not be put into the hands of novices. Much of the confusion and misuse of the spiritual gifts in modern Charismatic churches is due to immature novices in the faith running around trying to use them, without the experience and maturity to be able to use them wisely.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes they are outward signs of an inward change. If you are following the Spirit, these fruits will happen in your life. It’s a natural consequence that happens over time. Hang in there and remember blessed is he who waits on The Lord.
Pss.27

1. [14] Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
I agree but you don't receive fruit like you receive a gift. Fruit grows, gifts are given

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul was quite clear that church leadership should not be put into the hands of novices. Much of the confusion and misuse of the spiritual gifts in modern Charismatic churches is due to immature novices in the faith running around trying to use them, without the experience and maturity to be able to use them wisely.
You are conflating two entirely different things

• Agree
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are church leaders the only ones to have spiritual gifts?

Upvote 0