• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Words of Christ in red just makes them hard to read

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by danbuter, Jun 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. danbuter

danbuter Member Supporter

+194
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    There have been a number of Bibles I was going to pick up, until I see that they have the words of Jesus in red. At least for me, red print is really hard to read. I have seen some where the red is dark, so it's not as much of an issue, but most seem to think that bright red is acceptable. Maybe it's just because my eyesight isn't that great anymore, but I strongly prefer Bibles with Jesus' words in black print.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Theophilus2019

Theophilus2019 New Member

+50
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Bibles where the words of Jesus are in red or otherwise highlighted have got it completely wrong. All of the Bible is the word of God. Obviously it isn’t all verbatim what God said verbally. Some of it even quotes the Devil e.g. in Job or the temptation of Jesus. But it’s all the message God wants to say to mankind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+1,978
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    But the Words in red have no middleman. Consequently, they are less subject to debate.

4. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,161
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I find them distracting, visually and editorially. I constantly check the context to see if I agree with the editors on where the words of Christ begin and end. This is not so clear-cut in the Gospel of John especially.

5. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,502
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    It could be worse. They could be in yellow. :|

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Theophilus2019

Theophilus2019 New Member

+50
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Don’t assume they have no middleman. The middleman is the gospel writer. There’s no absolute guarantee the words attributed to Jesus are literally what Jesus said. Remember Jesus spoke in Aramaic and the gospel writers wrote in Greek. Moreover the writers may have paraphrased, clarified or condensed what Jesus said, hence the small differences between the gospels. However none of that is inconsistent with it all being the word of god, who infallibly inspired godly men to write it.

7. Hammster

Hammster Every knee shall bow. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,940
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Did Jesus actually write them?

8. timothyu

timothyu Well-Known Member

+1,175
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If we were to focus only on the words of Jesus, religion as we know it would not exist.

9. Lady Bug

Lady Bug Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,562
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The words in red don't bother me as long as they are dark enough to read. Like the OP has said, I've found it burdensome in some of my Bibles because my eyes have to work harder to read the color. I enjoy seeing Jesus' words singled out though, even if it's not absolutely necessary.

10. timothyu

+1,175
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Wonder if bold or italic would work ( no... never mind the italic)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Sam91

Sam91 Child of the Living God Supporter

+6,778
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    I have one Bible like that and I didn't use it for about two years, I found it distracting. Since picking it up by accident the other week I'm really enjoying the red words. It makes it easier to find certain verses in John. It's refreshing too when tired in this world to look at see the words your Saviour said. (Or at least a translation of what somebody reported him saying.)

12. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,243
    Presbyterian
    Single
    There's another issue. Words in red emphasize a feature that isn't actually present in the original. 1st Cent Greek didn't have quotation marks. It's often clear which words are quoted, but not always. In John statements by Jesus often turn into long reflections by the author. The boundary isn't always clear.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. danbuter

danbuter Member Supporter

+194
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I never really considered that what Jesus actually said got blurred in John. Interesting.

14. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,270
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    The irony is that the whole idea of the "Red Letter" Bibles was started by more liberal Protestants. In some ways the quest for the historical Jesus is just an extension of that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. hedrick

+4,243
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Are you sure? Red letter edition - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 En cuanto lo hicisteis a uno de estos mis hermanos Supporter

+9,270
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I think that's focusing too much on the medieval context. The modern movement started with ministers emphasizing the Social Gospel and the actual words of Jesus himself.

I've been reading about the quest for the historical Jesus , and that's something I came across some time ago, in defense of efforts like the Jesus Seminar.

17. hedrick

+4,243
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Here's a more detailed history: The Origins of the Red-Letter Bible

18. timothyu

+1,175
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You can go back to Jefferson who whittled the NT down to Jesus' words.

19. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,219
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't like the red letters, and that is primarily for asthetical reasons, but also for what others have pointed out about examples such as the Gospel of John.

20. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+1,183
    Christian
    Married
    What is the basis for saying this?