Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
usadingo said:
Ugh...:)
I've heard it before, but for the life of me couldn't remember the punch line.

^_^

usadingo said:
Yeah, you're older. I'll be 24 in October. I know about Steve Taylor through my fascanation with music. My friends often refer to me as the Matt Pinfield of Christian music. (If you don't know he is, he is a former VJ for MTV that was known for knowing practically anything and everything about music.)
Anyway, my dream in life is to go into the business end of the Christian music industry. Management first, then production, someday my own label. All God willing of course. I heard a speaker when I was younger who said to chase your dreams while you're young. We live in a world where we can always try again if we screw up. So, I'll be chasing these dreams soon and see where God takes it.

I'm reminded of the statement, "where God guides, He provides". I'm sure that He has placed that dream in your heart. I know for sure that as long as you keep your focus on Him, you will not "screw up" anything. :)

usadingo said:
The difference with me is, I agree God provides. I simply don't believe He guarentees prosperity. He gives food when we're hungry, but not a chain of McDonald's. He can, but it's not a guarenteed thing. I don't think I'm disagreeing with you here though.

My definition of prosperity is success. I know successful janators, successful teachers, successful homemakers. Ps 1:1-3 says, "Blessed is the man who walkes not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of the scornful; But His delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper." Things may fail. . but it is impossible for a person who walks in the counsel of God to fail.

usadingo said:
Here's my questions then.
If God gave you the sickness, isn't it up to God when to take it away?
And if God can give sicknesses, than can we say that living a life free from sickness can be guarenteed?

But see. . . I still don't agree that God gives sickeness. Scripture says He gives good gifts. . .and sickness is not good. If we allow Him to He will work good out of it but He did not give it.

All of our needs are subject to God's timeing. However, God's word does teach us how to war against our enemy and if we are not doing that then we can be the reason something is hanging around longer than it should.

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Praise God, Quaffer!!!

You know, it's a shame we live in a materalistic society, it's harder to believe for the supernatural...look at how long it takes some people to receive power from on high...they have been taught from religion that they have to "tarry" long before they "get it"!

Well, I know that in just a few short years, the sons and daughters of God will begin manifesting here in the U.S., that is, the christians who dared to believe God and walk in the Spirit. These people will be the ones who will be going around like the early church did, with signs and wonders following them where ever they go. In grocery stores, gas stations, shopping malls and sporting events, just to give you an idea of how widely the ordinary people will carry the anointing of God!!! We are going to finish the Book of Acts!!!

I've got something God showed me, but I will not yet post it here...It's about the church activity right before, during and the first forty days after the Rapture, I don't think you have heard of it...Anyway, lemme know if you want to hear it...it's real good...

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things." (Matthew 12:34-35)

Words won't work without faith any more than faith will work without words! It takes them both to put the law of faith in motion.

Many believers don't realize that. They'll continually speak words of doubt and unbelief, then they'll jump up one day and say a couple of faith words and expect mountains to move-- and to their dismay, they don't.

Why not?

Because as Matthew 12:34-35 says, it's the words that come from the heart that produce results. The person who just throws in a couple of faith words now and then isn't speaking them from the abundance of his heart, so they're not effective.

Does that mean you shouldn't start speaking words of faith until you're sure you have the faith to back them?

No! Speaking words of faith is good spiritual exercise. If you want to receive healing by faith, for example, fasten your mind and your mouth on the Word of God where your health is concerned. Instead of talking about how miserable you feel, quote Isaiah 53:5. Say, "Jesus was wounded for my transgressions. He was bruised for my iniquities. The chastisement of my peace was upon Him; and with His stripes, praise God, I was healed!"

If you'll continue to meditate on those words and continue to say them, the truth in them will begin to sink in. They'll take root in your heart and begin to grow. And eventually you really will be speaking from the abundance of your heart.

When that happens, it won't matter what the circumstances look like. You'll know you have what you've been believing for and the devil himself won't be able to talk you out of it. You'll cross the line from hope to faith, and you'll start seeing those mountains move!

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
MikeMcK said:
When I was a new Christian, I got caught up in the WoF movement. Thank God got me out of there. I consider them a cult because of their teaching on the nature of Christ, the sufficiency of His atonement on the cross and their views on the nature of man.
See, that's what I love about what Jesus did on the cross for us! We can build on the foundation, but if it gets burned up at the BEMA Judgement, then you won't have any reward, but you will still be saved...

ROM 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

1 Corinthians 3;
1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4. For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5. Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7. So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8. Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

10. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13. Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Philippians 2;
12. Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
14. Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15. That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
16. Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Be prepared, for you will see alot of us in Heaven and we will be your instructors then...
loki8.gif

Blessings to you, from our God and Lord Jesus... :)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
MikeMcK said:
When I was a new Christian, I got caught up in the WoF movement. Thank God got me out of there. I consider them a cult because of their teaching on the nature of Christ, the sufficiency of His atonement on the cross and their views on the nature of man.
I've been a Christian since I was a young child and I'm now 49 years old. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to their teachings on the nature of Christ, or His sufficiency, or their views on the nature of man. I have heard a few things that I don't except but hardly enough to call them a cult.

Christ is preached and Him crusified and raised from the dead. People are led to the Lord, they are set free and they are taught how to grow up and stay free. I don't see a problem with that.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Quaffer said:
I've been a Christian since I was a young child and I'm now 49 years old. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regards to their teachings on the nature of Christ,

Based this on a gross misreading of 2 Cor 5:21, they teach the "born again Jesus" heresy -the idea that Jesus was a sinner who had to atone for His own sins in Hell before He could atone for ours.

or His sufficiency

They teach that His death on the cross was not sufficient, but that He had to continue and complete the work in Hell be suffering as a common sinner.

or their views on the nature of man.

They teach that we are "little gods".

Benny Hinn goes so far as to say that he is "a little messiah walking the Earth" and that his followers should call him "Benny Jehovah".

Christ is preached

But which Christ?

A sinful Christ? A Christ who lied when He cried from the cross, "is it finished"? A Christ who was no more worthy to be a sacrifice for sin than your average man?

they are set free and they are taught how to grow up

How can they be set free and taught how to grow up when they're taught false doctrine?

Believe me, as someone who was caught up in this mess, they are not "set free".

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know what you were mixed up with, but that's not anything I've ever heard of, especially the Jesus had to atone for His sins before He could take ours away part...

It sounds like you were either hooked up with a fringe group, or you totally misunderstood what you heard.

Chances are, you were relatively new and got confused, then somebody came along and put these so-called claims in your head to get you to go to their church, that's what it sounds like to me...

Benny Hinn, now I've heard all kinds of accusations about him, but just as any one else, I'm going to let Jesus worry about that, I'm not going to get into Jesus' business and neither should you...

This is why;
Romans 14: 4. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

I would strongly suggest that you study the context surrounding this verse...

It will keep you out of trouble with Jesus!

May your cup run over with the blessing of the Lord... :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
look said:
I don't know what you were mixed up with, but that's not anything I've ever heard of, especially the Jesus had to atone for His sins before He could take ours away part...

Yes, it's quite a popular teaching in the WoF camp. Kenyon taught it. Branham taught it. Hagin taught it. Copeland, Hinn, Meyer, et all all teach it.

It sounds like you were either hooked up with a fringe group,

It is a fringe group but it's growing and it's making a laughing stock out of the charismatic movement, although I doubt Jesus is laughing.

or you totally misunderstood what you heard.

No, I didn't misunderstand.

Benny Hinn, now I've heard all kinds of accusations about him, but just as any one else, I'm going to let Jesus worry about that, I'm not going to get into Jesus' business and neither should you...

Actually, we're commanded to judge the teaching that we hear and those who teach it.

This is why;
Romans 14: 4. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

I would strongly suggest that you study the context surrounding this verse...

I would strongly suggest that you study the context surrounding this verse because it has nothing to do with judging his teaching, it has to do with condemning a brother over a disputable matter.

It will keep you out of trouble with Jesus!

I'm in no trouble with Jesus, thank you. Infact, He is my Advocate before the throne of God.

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
look said:
MikeMcK said:
Yes, it's quite a popular teaching in the WoF camp. Kenyon taught it. Branham taught it. Hagin taught it. Copeland, Hinn, Meyer, et all all teach it.

If you are so certain that "they all teach it", then perhaps you could post an actual statement by Kenneth Copeland, with an link to the source? If you would, that would be my first choice, but if not, then how about any of the others"? With a link to the source, thank you...

God's blessing be upon you and yours... :)

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If you are so certain that "they all teach it", then perhaps you could post an actual statement by Kenneth Copeland, with an link to the source? [/QUOTE]

Here is part of an essay that goes into a little detail than I really have the patience to do at the moment.

When it comes to defining the Atonement, Copeland says, "It wasn't a physical death on the cross that paid the price for sin...anybody can do that."63 Jesus supposedly "put Himself into the hands of Satan when He went to that cross, and took that same nature that Adam did [when he sinned]."64 Copeland is here referring to the nature of Satan, as God pronounced that "Adam would die spiritually — that he would take on the nature of Satan which is spiritual death."65 He adds that "the day that Jesus was crucified, God's life, that eternal energy that was His from birth, moved out of Him and He accepted the very nature of death itself."66

During an alleged conversation with Copeland, Jesus is said to have remarked, "It was a sign of Satan that was hanging on the cross....I accepted, in my own spirit, spiritual death; and the light was turned off."67 We are told that Jesus "had to give up His righteousness"68 and "accepted the sin nature of Satan."69

Contrary to the teaching that Christ underwent a change of nature (into a satanic being), the Bible depicts Jesus as having an immutable divine nature (Heb. 13:8; cf. Mal. 3:6). Moreover, in saying that "spiritual death means separation from the life of God,"70 Copeland tacitly admits that Jesus completely lost His deity. For, as we noted earlier, Copeland defines the "life of God" as "the unseen force that makes God, God." However, Scripture declares that God is eternal and unchanging and thus never ceases to be God. The Father says of Christ, "But you remain the same, and your years will never end" (Heb. 1:12).

Finally, the notion of Jesus being overtaken by "the very nature of death" is contradicted by Jesus' claim that He has "life in Himself" (John 5:26; cf. 1:4), is "the resurrection and the life" (11:25), and is "the way, the truth, and the life" (14:6). The "spiritual death of Christ" teaching entails an implicit denial of Christ's deity and, in turn, of the Trinity.

Still, Copeland insists "Satan conquered Jesus on the Cross and took His spirit to the dark regions of hell" (emphasis in original).71 Copeland's description of Christ's ordeal in hell is nothing short of chilling: "He [Jesus] allowed the devil to drag Him into the depths of hell....He allowed Himself to come under Satan's control...every demon in hell came down on Him to annihilate Him....They tortured Him beyond anything anybody had ever conceived. For three days He suffered everything there is to suffer."72

The situation seemed hopeless, as Jesus' "emaciated, poured out, little, wormy spirit is down in the bottom of that thing; and the devil thinks he's got Him destroyed."73 However, Copeland explains that "Satan fell into the trap. He took Him [Jesus] into hell illegally. He carried Him in there [when] He did not sin."74 God found the opening He needed: "That Word of the living God went down into that pit of destruction and charged the spirit of Jesus with resurrection power! Suddenly His twisted, death-wracked spirit began to fill out and come back to life....Jesus was born again — the firstborn from the dead the Word calls Him — and He whipped the devil in his own backyard."75

Copeland's account, vivid though it may be, is not in the Bible. It misuses the phrase "firstborn from the dead" (Col. 1:18) to bolster the "born again Jesus" doctrine. Actually, the term "firstborn" (Greek: prototokos) primarily denotes primacy, headship, and preeminence. And the phrase itself points to Christ's supremacy "over all creation" (v. 15) in general and those who will be raised from the dead in particular (alluding to Christ's bodily resurrection — not some spiritual resuscitation in hell).

Moreover, Jesus was not dragged into hell by Satan, but instead committed His spirit to the Father (Luke 23:46) and went directly to paradise (v. 43). Nor was He tortured by a host of demons; He triumphed "over them by the cross" (Col. 2:15). Jesus paid for humanity's sin in full (Greek: tetelestai) at the cross (John 19:30) — not by becoming a satanic being, but through His physical sacrifice (Heb. 10:10; Col. 1:22).

63 Kenneth Copeland, What Satan Saw on the Day of Pentecost (Fort Worth: Messages by Kenneth Copeland, n.d., audiotape #BCC-19), side 1.
64 Kenneth Copeland, The Incarnation (Fort Worth: Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1985, audiotape #01-0402), side 1.
65 Copeland, Our Covenant with God, 9.
66 Kenneth Copeland, "The Price of It All," Believer's Voice of Victory, September 1991, 3.
67 Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, side 2.
68 Copeland, The Incarnation, side 2.
69 Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, side 2.
70 Copeland, Inner Image of the Covenant, side 1.
71 Kenneth Copeland, Holy Bible: Kenneth Copeland Reference Edition (Fort Worth: Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1991), 129.
72 Copeland, "The Price of It All," 3.
73 Kenneth Copeland, Believer's Voice of Victory (television program), TBN, 21 April 1991.
74 Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, side 2.
75 Copeland, "The Price of It All," 4-6.

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Aww, man...

I'm really disappointed in you... :(

I thought you might be one of those rare breeds who actually think for themselves, but alas, I was wrong about you...

You couldn't answer my question because you have never actually heard this taught by a WoF'er, but you have heard that it was so, by a denomination that has an unusally high number of people like the "heresy hunter" who has been proven, time and time again, that he is a liar. His name is Hank Hanegraaff.

If you want to accuse the WoF crowd of blindly following, right off a cliff like lemmings...You should refrain from doing the same...

Are you really willing to accept (as truth) the writings of a man who uses dishonest sensationalism to sell books, or will you do the honest thing and obtain these sources Hank misquotes from, as per his footnotes and check them out for yourself? If you would check Hank's "quotes", you wouldn't be so prone to get foot in mouth syndrome
mgfootinmouth.gif
!

By the way, thanks for the links...and make good use of the 200 blessings I gave you!

May Love, Joy, and Peace abound in you... :)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
look said:
:)

I agree. I have been WOF since 1975, and all this is news to me. I have read every book by Hagin, Kenyon, Capps, Price and others. What you describe is not WOF. Perhaps you are mixed up about who your were with?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MikeMcK said:
Here is part of an essay that goes into a little detail than I really have the patience to do at the moment...
You know Mike, they used this same hunt and peck method to crucify Jesus and kill apostles prophets and saints all down through the centuries.

To be honest you really have to read the entirety of the work. I could easily post the statement of faith for each of these people where the truth of these things are declared outright.

I have been a WOF for over 25 years. I have taught thousands of people the Bible truth about Jesus, the Father, the Spirit, faith, healing, and many of these topics. It never fails to amaze me what gets cut and pasted together about us. It is sad and I mourn for the wonderful people who will miss out on the blessings of the Gospel and the finished work of Christ because of stories like these. If you realy care about these issues, do not take someone's word for it.

I will not doubt your involvement with WOF... if you say you were in it. But I have to wonder since some of the things you have presented were not first hand but the same old same old things that always get tossed up. What about it did you not like? I am not talking about what these other people have said. What did personally find wrong?

Bless you Brother.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
didaskalos said:
To be honest you really have to read the entirety of the work. I could easily post the statement of faith for each of these people where the truth of these things are declared outright.

What good does it do if they say one thing in their statement of faith and then preach something else from the PUlpit or in their newsletters or TV and radio shows?

I have been a WOF for over 25 years.

I'm praying for you.

It never fails to amaze me what gets cut and pasted together about us.

Look, I provided the references where Copekand has said these things. If you don't believe he did, you're welcome to show us that he didn't.

It is sad and I mourn for the wonderful people who will miss out on the blessings of the Gospel and the finished work of Christ because of stories like these.

And I mourn for the wonderful people who are led into false teaching because of teachers like the ones you're defending.

If you realy care about these issues, do not take someone's word for it.

I agree. This is precisely why I gave the references to show where he said these things so that people can go there and see for themselves.

But I have to wonder since some of the things you have presented were not first hand but the same old same old things that always get tossed up.

Paul's warnings against gnosticism in the NT are "always being tossed up" should we not believe them? Is it OK to practice gnosticism?

What about it did you not like?

1. The heresy. I could no longer stay in a church or in a movement that taught these things.
2. The emphasis on signs and wonders over the preaching of God's word.
3. The emphasis on prosperity rather than holiness.
4. The fact that people were shunned for daring to ask where something the pastor said was taught n scripture.

The list goes on and on but you get the point.

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
MikeMcK said:
Look, I provided the references where Copekand has said these things. If you don't believe he did, you're welcome to show us that he didn't.
Actually, the onus is on you to show us that he did indeed say these thing, for you are the one who made the assertion, not anyone else.

If anything, I can see and hear in your posts, present and past, that you are a super religious person who has allowed a root of bitterness to take root inside of your heart. It is this root that is ruling your interaction among other brethren on this forum and elsewhere...Jesus Himself told us that whatever is in a man's heart is what is going to come out of his mouth (keyboard).

Now for a "brief" cut and paste essay, the same as you have responded to my posts... :) "The difference is, I have provided links to my cites..."

Webster defines "heresy" as, "an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards."[1] In 1 Timothy 4:1 we are told: "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." We are told yet again in Heb. 13:9, " Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace..." These passages show us that there is a definite need for the true apologetics[2] ministry in the church.

The early church fathers such as Iraeneus, Origen, Chrysostom, Polycarp, and others spent quite a bit of time defending the truth of Christianity against the well known heresies of their era. These men were true apologists in every sense of the word. Even before them, Paul, John, and the other early apostles had to continually defend the truth against the error that crept into the church.

Though I may not have always agreed with him, Walter Martin, the founder of the Christian Research Institute, was a true apologist. God raised up such a man when the American scene was becoming so filled with cults that it became difficult to distinguish them from Orthodox Christianity. His landmark book, Kingdom of the Cults, provided us with sufficient information on the different cults in America and how to deal with them.

[c]The Difference Between Apologists and Heresy Hunters[/c]

Nevertheless, there comes a fine line between the valid ministry of an Apologist (one who is defending the faith given to the church) and the need to search for something to use against those you may disagree with theologically in order to make them appear cultic and heretical to the general public. The latter is a Heresy Hunter. Heresy Hunting has become a cultic practice unto itself and the purpose of this essay is to show the reader the invalidity of such a practice. I will show you seven tactics that these people use in their vendetta against those they do not agree with. I will especially show you how these tactics have been used in the attacks against the Word of Faith movement.
  • 1. False Labeling
The heresy hunters seem to enjoy labeling those that they theologically disagree with as "cultic, heretical, etc." The Word-Faith movement has

been labeled a "metaphysical" movement when their has been no trace of metaphysical teaching within this group. We have also been called "Gnostic," "Universalists," "Eastern Mysticism," and a host of other names. One web site labels Marilyn Hickey as the "fairy God-Mother" of the Word of Faith movement.

The heresy hunter even like to falsely label themselves. Many of them say that they are Pentecostals or that they are Charismatics. They do this so that they can be accepted among these particular groups while still attacking everything uniquely Pentecostal or Charismatic. They do this in order to turn the hearts of Pentecostals and Charismatics away from the essential truths that distinguish these two movements. The unfortunate thing is that it has actually worked. Many Pentecostals and Charismatics treat their Word of Faith brethen as if they have been sprayed by skunks. They now do everything to separate them from their groups.

Many of the heresy hunters say that they are members of Assemblies of God churches or affiliated with "Charismatic" churches such as Calvary Chapel. Yet, when you listen to them talk they often sound like Hyper-Calvinists and Cessationists. It's a shame because the same criticism that they make against the Word-Faith and other movements were made against the movements that they claim to be affiliated with.

In the beginning of the Pentecostal movement at Azusa street in 1906, the leaders of this movement, William J. Seymour and Charles Parham were labeled "rulers of spiritual Sodom." Another person labeled them, "Satan's preachers, jugglers, necromancers, enchanters, magicians, and all sorts of mendicants." This same person also labeled the Pentecostal movement as "spiritualism." Another well known preacher of that time labeled it, "the last vomit of Satan." A Bible teacher whose writings I love made a statement about the Pentecostal movement that I disagree with: "emphatically not of God and founded by a Sodomite".[3]

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Pentecostals were also falsely labeled as "hypnotists," "mentally unstable" and attributed the miraculous manifestations in the churches as "demonic power."...http://www.victoryword.100megspop2.com/seven_tactics.html

[c]Did Jesus Suffer in Hell?[/c]

Today’s Question: "I have a question about Jesus' descent into hell. In Luke 23:43, "And Jesus replied,’ Today you will be with me in Paradise. This is a solemn promise." TLB

The question I am wondering about is how could He have defeated Satan in hell if He declared to the thief that they both would be in Paradise that day? I believe Jesus made an open display of Satan on the Cross, according to Col.1:14: "Who bought our freedom with His Blood and forgave us all our sins."

Could you also explain to me how the Word of Faith teaching responds to Luke23:43? I'll be waiting for your reply."

Sincerely, William Carpenter
email address deleted for privacy

Bible Answer: I do not dare speak for the entire Word of Faith movement, but I would like to share some of my insights in this area.

As far as the passage in Luke 23:43 Jesus did go to Paradise that day. I agree. Jesus, however, did not say that He would be there for all three days. That's where you make a wrong assumption. Jesus said, "Today, you will be with me in Paradise." Today does not mean three days; it simply means the current day.

Before we proceed any further, we need to establish the fact that man is a three-fold being. God made man’s body from the dust of the ground then breathed into him the breath of life which is man’s spirit, and man became a living soul (Gen 2:7). He is a spirit, he has a soul, and he lives in a body. "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1Thes 5:23). This truth is important to understand if you are to comprehend Christ descent into hell and His victory over the devil in hell.

Next, you need to realize that Adam’s sin resulted in not just physical death but spiritual death. God warned Adam and Eve, "The tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" (Gen 2:17, KJV). God said they would die in the day that thou eatest. Adam and Eve did not die physically that day, but they did die spiritual on that day. For Christ to eradicate Adam’s transgression He would have to experience the full judgement of sin, not just physical death.

The Bible teaches there is more than one type of death. As Paul said, "You were dead in your transgressions and sins" (Ep 2:1). This speaks of spiritual death. Then there is the passage in Rev 20:14: "Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death." The soul suffers eternally in the lake of fire. Obviously from these passages there is more than one death. There are three deaths, and they all correspond to our three-fold nature: physical, spiritual, and soulish.

The message of the gospel is simple: Christ died for our sins. Does this mean only physical death? Well, if that’s all sin does is kill us physically, then all Christ would have to do is die physically, but as we have already established, there are three deaths of the sinner. So if Christ is to die for the sinner, then He must die in all three ways.

[c]Isaiah the prophet confirms Christ’ three deaths:[/c]

He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth. (Isa 53:9)

The Hebrew word used for death1 is plural. Literally it reads, "He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich is his deaths." Scholars still don’t understand why it is in the plural, so they usually translate it in the singular.

Isaiah chapter 53 speaks of Christ’ three-fold death. Isaiah mentions Christ’ afflictions and wounds—that’s physical (vs. 4- 5). He also alludes to His spiritual death by saying that the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all (v. 6). Finally Isaiah expresses Christ suffering in hell by declaring:

…when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied…he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (Isa 53:10-11, KJV)

Notice how often Christ' soul is mentioned. Jesus did not suffer in body only; His soul suffered as well. The soul suffers in hell.

Peter, in his first sermon, mentions the suffering of Christ’ soul in hell:

Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Acts 2:27, KJV)

Jesus’ soul was in hell, but not left there. Praise God. Why did Jesus go to hell for us? He went there because the punishment of sin is for the soul to be cast into hell. Since Christ suffered the penalties and punishment for our sins, it stands to reason that He would have to suffer in hell, and He did!

I asked the Lord to give me a clear passage about this and He did. He gave me Leviticus chapter 16. You need to read all of it. There you find the sacrificial order on the Day of Atonement. What is important to notice is that there are three sacrifices on this day: two male goats and one ram for a burnt offering.

From the Israelite community he is to take two male goats for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering. (Lev 16:5)

Now why are three sacrifices necessary? Simply because the three sacrifices speak of the three-fold death of Christ—his physical death, his spiritual death, and his soulish death.

Study the three sacrifices in Leviticus chapter 16. In this passage, only the first goat was killed through the shedding of blood; this speaks of Christ physical death and His shedding of His blood on the cross.

The Second goat had the sins of the nation confessed onto it and then banished alive in the desert; this speaks of Christ spiritual death whereby he became sin for us. This is why Christ said, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me" (Matt 27:46). Jesus was made sin there on the cross (2 Cor 5:21).

And now here is where it gets real interesting. After the sacrifices of these two goats, there is a time lapse. The Priest takes off his filthy garments and puts on clean garments (Lev 16:23-24). He washes himself and makes sure he is clean; this interim period is where I believe Jesus descent into Paradise takes place. Jesus is free from sin and He proves it by saying, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" (Luke 23:46). Jesus is restored to God the Father and is cleansed much like the Priest was. So Jesus is free from sin when He meets the thief in Paradise.

Now comes the final sacrifice that the priest makes, which is the ram and burnt offering. This is the only sacrifice that is burnt in the fire; I believe this speaks of Christ sacrifice in hell fire.

After Jesus meets the thief that day, the sun goes down over Jerusalem and the Passover officially begins. The first Passover is recorded in Exodus 12. God makes clear when the Passover should begin. (A Jewish day begins at sundown.)

Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the people of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight. (Exod 12:6)

As you know, Jesus died on the day before Passover. For Jesus to fully fulfill the Scriptures He must be sacrificed on Passover. He was. Jesus descends into hell on Passover day and becomes like the ram in the burnt offering. Passover last for 12 hours. I believe this is the time Jesus suffers in hell. At dawn on Passover, Jesus strips the devil of his authority over mankind. He enters the deepest part of hell called the dungeon and declares His victory over Satan.

…He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison (1 Pet 3:18-19)

Jesus was made alive in His soul right in hell itself. He then preached victory to the spirits in prison. He also led all the Old Testament saints out of Abraham’s bosom.

This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men." (Eph 4:8)

Upvote 0

look

A New Species of Man®
Mar 15, 2003
Daytona Beach, Florida
Visit site
✟8,610.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
[c]Jesus message is clear:[/c]

I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. (Rev 1:18)

Jesus defeated the devil in Hades (hell) and took the keys from him. He now rules!

I truly believe Satan hates this message; this is why he has tried so hard to keep people from understanding this. Heresy hunters have condemned preachers to hell if they preach this.

Hank Hanegraaff writes:

"It is at the cross—not in hell—that your salvation is either won or lost." (Christianity in Crisis, page152, Emphasis in the original)

For Hank it is an "either or" proposition. For him it is not possible that both the sufferings at the cross and in hell are essential for salvation. And to scare people from the Word of Faith position he writes:

"They are heretical, which is another way of saying that they directly oppose the clear teaching of Scripture on matters of essential importance as highlighted in the creeds and councils of the church." (Ibid. page 46, Emphasis in the original)

If you should believe like I do that Jesus' sufferings were three- fold, then he is ready to label you a heretic and send you to hell. Notice, he appeals to the creeds of the church. Well, let’s talk about the most famous creed, The Apostle’s Creed. A portion of the creed affirms Jesus descent into hell, the very thing that Hanegraaff disbelieves. It says:

"I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty…" (Emphasis added)

It’s clear that the early church believed that Jesus descended into hell. Were they heretics? The fact is, during their time if anyone refused to believe in the entire creed they were disfellowshipped. Because of efforts like Hank Hanegraaff some churches have removed this part of the Apostle's Creed from their statement or they rephrase the creed to say, "He descended into the Grave." (The word "grave" does not make sense since the previous statement in the creed already mentioned that he was "buried"; why repeat the thought? Remember that the creed was originally written in Greek, and the word for hell is Hades, and it is used consistently to speak of the place of punishment, see Luke 16:23 as an example.)

Now I’m not labeling anyone a heretic simply because they don’t have as full an understanding of the full atonement, but Hanegraaff is definitely wrong to imply that this teaching about Jesus descent into hell contradicts all the creeds. This teaching did not originated with the Word of Faith movement. It is as old as the early church.

It is time to quit using scare tactics to make people believe a certain way. I believe that a person can be saved without fully understanding what Jesus accomplished for us in His redemptive work. Hank thinks only people who believe exactly like him about the atonement can make it to heaven. He writes about the importance of his view verses our view:

"The stakes here are enormous—no less than salvation itself." (Ibid. page 154)

Wow! Hank’s fear tactics just won’t work with me. I am quite secure in my salvation and I am in fact very grateful for all Christ went through for me. Satan won't stop me from preaching the full redemptive act of Christ. http://www.tbm.org/jesussuffershell.htm

Mike, you have been shown the truth of Jesus suffering in Hell for us, according to scriptures...I now await your proof that Kenneth Copeland teaches that Jesus took on the nature of Satan and all of the other lies of Hank Hanegraff. Yours sincerely...

Mark 4:22. For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.
23. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
24. And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
25. For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, the onus is on you to show us that he did indeed say these thing, for you are the one who made the assertion, not anyone else.
Which is precisely why there are references included, so that anyone who is interested can examine Copeland’s views for themselves.
Didiskalos implied that Copeland was being taken out of context, in this case, it’s up to him to demonstrate this.
If anything, I can see and hear in your posts, present and past, that you are a super religious person who has allowed a root of bitterness to take root inside of your heart.
You could not be more wrong. I am neither super-religious nor bitter. I’m simply someone who is concerned about those who are being led into false teaching and who is following the Christian’s God given command to test all things in light of scripture.
It’s funny, but whether I’m talking to a Mormon, a Jehovah’s Witness, an atheist or a WoF’er, the one thing you guys have in common is attacking the person rather than the issue.
Jesus Himself told us that whatever is in a man's heart is what is going to come out of his mouth (keyboard).
Then what does it say about what’s in your heart that you would try to mischaracterize me this way?
The difference is, I have provided links to my cites..."
Actually, I didn’t provide a link because I knew that you would attack the author, rather than discuss the issue. (You go on later in your post to bear this out, by the way)
The early church fathers such as Iraeneus, Origen, Chrysostom, Polycarp, and others spent quite a bit of time defending the truth of Christianity against the well known heresies of their era. These men were true apologists in every sense of the word. Even before them, Paul, John, and the other early apostles had to continually defend the truth against the error that crept into the church.
One wonders what they would have thought of Copeland. Would they have agreed with him that God has a physical, corporeal body? That He lives on another planet? That “you don’t just have God in you , you are one”?
Though I may not have always agreed with him, Walter Martin, the founder of the Christian Research Institute, was a true apologist. God raised up such a man when the American scene was becoming so filled with cults that it became difficult to distinguish them from Orthodox Christianity. His landmark book, Kingdom of the Cults, provided us with sufficient information on the different cults in America and how to deal with them.
So then, when someone questions the teachings of someone you don’t like, he’s a “true apologist” and when they question the teachings of someone you like, he’s a “heresy hunter”?

The Difference Between Apologists and Heresy Hunters
Nevertheless, there comes a fine line between the valid ministry of an Apologist (one who is defending the faith given to the church) and the need to search for something to use against those you may disagree with theologically in order to make them appear cultic and heretical to the general public. The latter is a Heresy Hunter.
This assumes that the person you slander as a “heresy hunter” is presupposing that the person they are questioning is a false teacher.

You haven’t established that.
Heresy Hunting has become a cultic practice
Please demonstrate
1. False Labeling
The heresy hunters seem to enjoy labeling those that they theologically disagree with as "cultic, heretical, etc." The Word-Faith movement has been labeled a "metaphysical" movement when their has been no trace of metaphysical teaching within this group. We have also been called "Gnostic”
One of the main teachings of the WoF movement is that we can change or alter reality by our words. Another is that we are divine.
The heresy hunter even like to falsely label themselves. Many of them say that they are Pentecostals or that they are Charismatics.
This is a debating tactic called “poisoning the well”.
I am a charismatic who believes very strongly in the perpetuity of the spiritual gifts, practices those which God has graciously given me and attends a church that, while not specifically charismatic in nature is very sympathetic to charismatic theology. I attended a wonderful charismatic church for years (Come Alive New Testament Church in Medford, N.J.), which is very well known in the Delaware Valley and whom I don’t believe anyone could seriously say is not a charismatic church. So my charismatic credentials are not in question here.
It’s also interesting to note that one of the leading apologists addressing WoF heresy is a charismatic who is closely affiliated with a charismatic denomination (Calvary Chapel) and is a frequent speaking in AoG churches. It also should be noted that the AoG, a charismatic group if every there was one, has taken the WoF to task several times.
They do this so that they can be accepted among these particular groups while still attacking everything uniquely Pentecostal or Charismatic. They do this in order to turn the hearts of Pentecostals and Charismatics away from the essential truths that distinguish these two movements. The unfortunate thing is that it has actually worked. Many Pentecostals and Charismatics treat their Word of Faith brethen as if they have been sprayed by skunks. They now do everything to separate them from their groups.
Again, poisoning the well.
Bible Answer: I do not dare speak for the entire Word of Faith movement, but I would like to share some of my insights in this area.

As far as the passage in Luke 23:43 Jesus did go to Paradise that day. I agree. Jesus, however, did not say that He would be there for all three days. That's where you make a wrong assumption. Jesus said, "Today, you will be with me in Paradise." Today does not mean three days; it simply means the current day.

For Christ to eradicate Adam’s transgression He would have to experience the full judgement of sin, not just physical death.

The Bible teaches there is more than one type of death. As Paul said, "You were dead in your transgressions and sins" (Ep 2:1). This speaks of spiritual death. Then there is the passage in Rev 20:14: "Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death." The soul suffers eternally in the lake of fire. Obviously from these passages there is more than one death. There are three deaths, and they all correspond to our three-fold nature: physical, spiritual, and soulish.

The message of the gospel is simple: Christ died for our sins. Does this mean only physical death? Well, if that’s all sin does is kill us physically, then all Christ would have to do is die physically, but as we have already established, there are three deaths of the sinner. So if Christ is to die for the sinner, then He must die in all three ways.
Isaiah chapter 53 speaks of Christ’ three-fold death. Isaiah mentions Christ’ afflictions and wounds—that’s physical (vs. 4- 5).
[Isaiah 53:5] also alludes to His spiritual death by saying that the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all
Actually, there’s nothing in this verse to indicate that Christ died spiritually. This is referring to Christ’s vicarious death on our behalf.

To say this implies that Jesus died spiritually is reading your own bias into the text. Remember earlier in your post where you falsely said that it’s the apologist who starts out with the presupposition? It doesn’t do any good for you to accuse someone else of doing something, without backing it up, and then turn around and do the same thing yourself.
(v. 6). Finally Isaiah expresses Christ suffering in hell by declaring:

…when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied…he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (Isa 53:10-11, KJV)
Again, nothing in this verse indicates that Christ suffered in Hell.
Notice how often Christ' soul is mentioned. Jesus did not suffer in body only; His soul suffered as well. The soul suffers in hell.
It should be noted that the word translated as “soul” here is “nephesh”, which refers to a person’s physical or character attributes and not his spirit. So this cannot be interpreted to say that Jesus’ “emaciated, wormy little spirit”, as Kenneth Copeland says, died or suffered in Hell.

Peter, in his first sermon, mentions the suffering of Christ’ soul in hell:
Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Acts 2:27, KJV)
This isn’t referring to Christ’s soul, and certainly not the suffering of it in Hell, but to the promise of God to resurrect Christ from the grave.
Jesus’ soul was in hell
Scripture please.
Why did Jesus go to hell for us?
Do tell. You still haven’t established that He did.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.