• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Wood Decay in Ark of Covenant

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by cloudyday2, Nov 25, 2020.

1. cloudyday2

cloudyday2 Generic Theist Supporter

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    The Ark of the Covenant was made of acacia wood covered in gold leaf. How quickly would the acacia wood decay (disallowing for discussion purposes the possibility that God would miraculously prevent decay)?

I believe there were wooden artifacts in King Tut's tomb (?). Of course the climate in Egypt is different. The gold leaf might protect the wood from the air though.

The Ark of the Covenant existed in the Bible from the time of Moses to the time of Solomon and possibly longer. Would the Ark need maintenance to replace decayed wood over time?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jeshu

Jeshu Bought by His Blood Supporter

+6,627
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    i think that decay would not quickly be a problem because acacia wood is hard wood, plus it was clad in gold.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+3,906
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Acacia is naturally resistant to decay and insects:

Because of the slow growth of the tree, the wood is hard and dense. The heartwood is dark red-brown and attractive when polished. This wood is resistant to decay because the tree deposits in the heartwood many waste substances which are preservatives and render the wood unpalatable to insects making the wood dense and difficult to be penetrated by water and other decay agents.
    Plants of the Bible - ODU Plant Site

Incidentally, the acacia family originated (a long, long time ago) in Australia.

OB

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  4. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+362
    Christian
    Probably need to find it again, to know for sure.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  5. ChetSinger

ChetSinger Well-Known Member

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    It was clad in gold? I thought it was clad in pitch.

6. Occams Barber

+3,906
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

Wasn't that the other Ark - the one Noah built? :)

OB

7. ChetSinger

ChetSinger Well-Known Member

+402
    Protestant
    Married
    Duh, good grief. Thanks for the correction. :doh:

8. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Member Supporter

+41,640
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Hello @cloudyday2, since the Ark and all of its parts and pieces were made of or covered by gold, inside and out, I imagine that it lasted w/o any signs of decay for a VERY long time.

--David

Exodus 25
    10 They shall construct an ark of acacia wood two and a half cubits long, and one and a half cubits wide, and one and a half cubits high.
    11 You shall overlay it with pure gold, inside and out you shall overlay it, and you shall make a gold molding around it.
    12 You shall cast four gold rings for it and fasten them on its four feet, and two rings shall be on one side of it and two rings on the other side of it.
    13 You shall make poles of acacia wood and overlay them with gold.
    14 You shall put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark, to carry the ark with them.
    15 The poles shall remain in the rings of the ark; they shall not be removed from it.
    16 You shall put into the ark the testimony which I shall give you.
    17 You shall make a mercy seat of pure gold, two and a half cubits long and one and a half cubits wide.
    18 You shall make two cherubim of gold, make them of hammered work at the two ends of the mercy seat.

• List
  9. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+362
    Christian
    It does raise an interesting question though....Ark...?

I mean what scholarly genius thought "hmmm, we have a massive boat and a reasonably large ornate box, how shall we refer to them?"..."I know lets just use exactly the same word....one so insanely obscure, that no one will ever get them confused with any other objects in existence"

10. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,652
    Agnostic
    Married
    Ark etymology

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Occams Barber

+3,906
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    The original Latin 'arca' was a reference to a large box or chest. If you think of Noah's Ark and the Covenant Ark as box-like structures you can see the common meaning of 'Ark'.

Old English earc, Old Northumbrian arc, mainly meaning Noah's but also the Ark of the Covenant, from Latin arca "large box, chest" (see arcane), the word used in the Vulgate.
    ark | Search Online Etymology Dictionary (etymonline.com)

OB

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  12. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+362
    Christian
  13. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,562
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Let me look in my garage. I think I have it there, somewhere.

14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+9,661
    Atheist
    Single
    At best it was probably clad in gold leaf. That does not offer much in the way of protection.

15. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Do the pieces of foil used in gold leaf form an airtight seal when applied? In other words do two adjacent pieces of foil adhere together sufficiently to block the air?

17. Occams Barber

+3,906
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Yes

When done properly the junction between leaves is invisible and more or less airtight. It may however be subject to cracking over time depending on the moisture content of the wood before it was coated. There is also the probability of mechanical damage (knocks, bumps and scrapes) and some uncovered wood, allowing for expansion/contraction reactions to external changes in humidity.

Having said all this, the combination of gold leaf and natural immunity would pretty much guarantee the Ark would retain it's integrity for 100s, or perhaps, even 1000s, of years.

OB

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. apogee

apogee Regular Member

+362
    Christian
    Both really interesting bits of information.

19. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+9,661
    Atheist
    Single
    I would say no. And then only exposed surfaces would be covered. It is not a preservative.

20. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,075
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    When photos were first released some people thought they spotted the Ark of the Covenant there. Turns out it was just a similarly-designed chest. The design itself seems to be based on a common type box with carrying poles used in Egypt.

• List