• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Wondering if OCD is back

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey there. I'm SFG and I suffer with Purely-Obsessional OCD. My OCD primarily shows up in intrusive thoughts and obsessive actions, but I've got it all under control now... or... at least that's what I thought, but now I'm not so sure.

Recently I got into the habit of looking into Catholicism and there's nothing wrong with that but... I find myself spending more and more of my free time looking into Catholicism and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this is something more than just mere curiosity? I'm obsessively trying to learn more and more about the religion, not wanting to take any breaks, and going over subjects over and over again as if there's some information that I'm missing (and trust me, there's not). Not only that, but now I'm starting to want to pray the rosary more than once a day (maybe twice or even thrice) and I feel the need to take frequent baths and brush my teeth a lot more than usual. I just feel like I need to be cleansed of something. I want to be as clean and pure as a freshly mopped and polished floor (a silly analogy, but you get the picture, right?).

I might need to talk to my therapist about this. I'm starting to get worried.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Babe Ruth

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suffered from OCD early in life. I thought everything and everyone was trying to kill me. So I went though rituals to stave off the evil. Everything had to be done just right or else...

It freaked me out so bad that I just quit one day; accepting food from people; using a dirty fork without washing it; stepping on cracks; not washing my hands so much, I went such the opposite way that I could care less if the door was lock, the water turned off or if the house burned down!

I had Jesus and no use for OCD. It took awhile but, I got through it. I now watch people that suffer with it and thank God I no longer torcher myself with useless fears.

I fear God. NOTHING ELSE!

Upvote 0

Thomas1987

Feb 4, 2018
Ivano-Frankivsk
✟10,352.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there. I'm SFG and I suffer with Purely-Obsessional OCD. My OCD primarily shows up in intrusive thoughts and obsessive actions, but I've got it all under control now... or... at least that's what I thought, but now I'm not so sure.

Recently I got into the habit of looking into Catholicism and there's nothing wrong with that but... I find myself spending more and more of my free time looking into Catholicism and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this is something more than just mere curiosity? I'm obsessively trying to learn more and more about the religion, not wanting to take any breaks, and going over subjects over and over again as if there's some information that I'm missing (and trust me, there's not). Not only that, but now I'm starting to want to pray the rosary more than once a day (maybe twice or even thrice) and I feel the need to take frequent baths and brush my teeth a lot more than usual. I just feel like I need to be cleansed of something. I want to be as clean and pure as a freshly mopped and polished floor (a silly analogy, but you get the picture, right?).

Have you accepted Jesus Christ ?
Religion is man trying to find God
Christianity is God trying to save man and have relationship with him .

If you are born again you should have Holy Spirit inside of you and your OCD should be gone i know because i had it before i was born again .

If you believe that Jesus died for your sins and paid penalty for it on cross with his blood and then God raised him from the dead you are saved .

Then you can just rest in him because he promised that no demon can touch us since we have Holy Spirit inside of us so whatever is bothering you should be gone from now on .

1 Corinthians 15:1-4
Ephesians 2:8-9
Ephesians 1:13-14
1 Peter 1:18-19

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It sounds like it could be OCD, especially if you already have it. I guess my first question is, do you WANT to be Catholic? There's a difference between "obsessively" researching something and kind of enjoying it, and researching because you feel like you have to.

Upvote 0

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like it could be OCD, especially if you already have it. I guess my first question is, do you WANT to be Catholic? There's a difference between "obsessively" researching something and kind of enjoying it, and researching because you feel like you have to.
I want to be Catholic. And you're right, there is a difference. I'm just not sure if this obsession is too obsessive.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to be Catholic. And you're right, there is a difference. I'm just not sure if this obsession is too obsessive.
So you're obsessing about whether your obsession is obsessive? ;) Honestly, if it's not causing you distress or taking up insane amounts of your time, there's not much reason to worry, is there...?

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you may be obsessing, but you may also just be really excited about Catholicism (which is a good thing). It's good to be excited about religion. As others have said, if it is becoming distressing to you, talk to someone. Otherwise, no harm done.

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0