Not open for further replies.

TedPerr

May 19, 2007
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I'm Ted, a lifelong believer of Christ who is FINALLY actually reading the Bible. It is raising many questions in me and I am here hoping to find some answers. Morgaine1205 suggested I might find them here.

One of the things I am looking to figure out is how is our faith in God without absolute proof of His existence is different from, say, an atheists' faith without absolute proof that He doesn't exist? From many scientists' belief that man evolved from a puddle of mixing chemicals? What forum would be best for me to explore these questions in?

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi! I'm Ted, a lifelong believer of Christ who is FINALLY actually reading the Bible. It is raising many questions in me and I am here hoping to find some answers. Morgaine1205 suggested I might find them here.

One of the things I am looking to figure out is how is our faith in God without absolute proof of His existence is different from, say, an atheists' faith without absolute proof that He doesn't exist? From many scientists' belief that man evolved from a puddle of mixing chemicals? What forum would be best for me to explore these questions in?
Get into the book of Hebrews and read Chapter 10 and 11. This explains faith and those who walked by faith.

Upvote 0

Tkjjc89

May 12, 2007
✟8,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

nwmsugrad

Feb 26, 2004
✟7,835.00
Faith
Christian
without absolute proof of His existence

If you go outside and look up you will see absolute proof of God's existence.

Romans 1:18-22 (NASB95)
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

Atheists are aware there is a God when they deny His existence they are actively supressing the truth they are involved in self deception.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ted,

Glad to hear you're reading through God's word. The bible is the mind and heart of God in print. He talks to us with history, poetry, exhortation, prophecy, etc. He uses literary devices such as parables, metaphor, typology, allegory, etc. If I could offer anyone advice it is to 'live' in your bible until you know what it says, even if you don't fully understand all of it. I think it is more profitable to listen to what God has to say to you first. When you are as familiar as you can get with God's mind and heart then you should explore these other questions.

Many find that most of their questions are answered directly by God, through reading what He has to say.

Upvote 0

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That theists may not have objective proof of the existence of God (God being the cause of existence and non-existence, neither property can be definitive of the Godhead) and never will but may have subjective experience of the divine presence outside the realm of discursive reason makes it rather different to the atheist case, at least IMHO.

That atheists (and others) insist upon a limited perception of 'existence' and its causation in relation to divinity is, I think, one of its main problems when attempting to understand religion and the concepts involved.

But its easiest to think of as cause and effect: existence is the effect of God's causation, so looking for absolute proof of God's existence is futile from the outset.

Perhaps one can perceive the divine causation of material existence, however.

Upvote 0

mdaniel

May 22, 2007
✟8,059.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hi! I'm Ted, a lifelong believer of Christ who is FINALLY actually reading the Bible.

One of the things I am looking to figure out is how is our faith in God without absolute proof of His existence is different from, say, an atheists' faith without absolute proof that He doesn't exist

The heavens and earth proclaim the creator. The absolute proof of God is the earth, the word, and the miracles God has performed to confirm the word.

The Gospel comes down to "Who Do You Say I Am?".

I congratulate you on getting into the word (reading the bible). That's where the answers are and that's where faith comes (from hearing and hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17).

God Bless,

MD

Upvote 0

truth4life

May 24, 2007
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello ted,
what makes your faith different from the faith of an unbeliever is TRUTH plain and simple. both of you were given the ability to believe ( faith ) but you chose to place your belief in the truth. now the root of your question may be ' what is truth ? ' or ' how do i know the truth ? '. God does not require us to prove Him but He does command us to believe ( faith ) Him. It is impossible to prove God. the Bible does not prove God but It does reveal His glory and nature ( attributes ).
once we place our faith in Christ we are given the Spirit of Truth and the revelation journey begins through the reading of scripture and prayer & fellowship with your Christian brothers and sisters.

God bless you, T4L

Upvote 0

TedPerr

May 19, 2007
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. I believe what you say, Truth4Life. But we are supposed to show others the truth that God exists. We are supposed to encourage them to believe for the sake of their own eternal salvation. :o How can we do that without proof?

Unbelievers might counter our arguments for God's existance with the claim that we believe in Him simply because we were raised to believe in him. I, for example, was brought up as a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeSaveDave

If Christ be anything He must be everything.
Dec 5, 2003
Indiana
✟9,901.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I love these forums. I'm getting so much knowledge and insight as I study scripture and discuss these things with you all.

My personal "proof" happened a few years ago when I was saved. I grew up far from church. I was a straight up thug. Gangs, drugs, violence. I grew up abused and neglected. Raised by a biker who took me to what he called "church" which was his biker gang getting together and doing all sorts of horrible things.

A few years back I was in a long distance relationship with someone I met in yahoo chat. I was honest with her (she grew up in church) and one day I felt a presence I can faintly explain. This woman led me to the Lord and I was immediately transformed. We're talking miraculous. I cried like a baby.

As I grow in the knowledge of the Lord all the dozens of answers I seek need not be answered for me to know God is here. I owe Him my life and everything I am. I'd be dead if it weren't for Him. (Even now I'm weeping for what He did for me)

I seek to find answers for anyone I may witness to who may need them. But I remember how Jesus was so sad that even as He was with them, performing miracles and teaching the truth, people still had doubts. It makes me wonder that if todays atheists had "proofs" if they would still have their hearts hardened to God.

Thanks so much for all your posts and sharing in this discussion. I'm loving it here.

In Christ's love, Dave

PS: The woman I met in yahoo chat is now my wife of 5 years.

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

Hmmm. I believe what you say, Truth4Life. But we are supposed to show others the truth that God exists. We are supposed to encourage them to believe for the sake of their own eternal salvation. :o How can we do that without proof?

Unbelievers might counter our arguments for God's existance with the claim that we believe in Him simply because we were raised to believe in him. I, for example, was brought up as a Christian.
I don't believe it's up to us to convince non-believers that God exists - I think our job is to show that if he does exist, the non-believer needs a way to stand before him on judgment day. I like Ray Comfort's approach - using it with my brother-in-law worked when all the love and debate I could muster didn't.

Upvote 0

truth4life

May 24, 2007
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello ted,

the bible says that we ( christians ) should let our light so shine that men (the world ) may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. it also states that we are the light of the world.
ted it is imperative that you and i live a life of purity and holiness for by this the world may believe in the Gospel message. now ted if we are the light of the world then without us the world totally resides in darkness. and when you are in darkness your vision is obscured, especially when it comes to your view of God. you see one is an atheist not from lack of proof of God but rather of lack of belief in God. when you come in contact with an atheist you are enough proof that God exsist! so i guess the question is what kind of argument are you presenting with your life that God does exsist?
we are all the proof that they need and all the proof that they are getting. remember when Phillip asked Christ to show us the Father and it would suffice? but Jesus reply to him was " if you have seen me you have seen my Father ". so our proof comes through faith in God.

your brother in Christ, T4L

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Faith is synonymous with trust. So one's faith is entirely dependent on the object or person in which one places their trust. The object of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ; the object of faith for Atheists is the mind.

Christians trust that Scriptures have revealed that not only does God exist, but that He also sent His Son Jesus Christ into the world to ultimately save believers from eternal wrath. Atheists trust almost solely in the reasoning of their own mind, as well as trusting in others who hold similar views, to determine reality.

LDG

Upvote 0

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A person's experiences are given on a take it or leave it basis, their dreams and memories are life experiences that are just as real as seeing things in the present.
For most people the only real evidence is that of the sermon that changed their life, any other evidence just pales by comparison. There is no real way to describe the cause and effect relationship that ocurrs when someone reacts to the word, lives change, people are inspired to fight for their blessings, people are called by God,...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Onlythingavailable

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2006
✟264,178.00
Faith
Christian
How do you prove God exists? I don't know, but Romans 1:18-21 says:

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Maybe this is why religion is always such a "hot potato", it's undeniably a large part of us. Something that proves God's existence to me is what happened when I was younger. I was scared to death of going to the dentist, and during an annual check-up they found a cavity. I ignored the cavity for a year, and when it was time for the next check-up the cavity was simply gone. God be praised! I have no documents of this, though, so I'm not sure if it will convince someone who doesn't believe, and I'm not even sure it would if I did have papers proving it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.