✟15,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there all,

I am new to these forums and I thought some might appreciate a family tradition I am making sure continues.

Our Family Bible, dating from 1793, lists the genealogical information for my maternal family, the Brewsters. However, the matriarch of this family was a deeply pious lady, and she started what I feel is the most precious tradition I have come across in my family history: relatives are encouraged to list their favourite Bible verse or passage alongside their personal 'data' (ie birth date, christening date, marriage). Of course, not everyone has a verse listed as they may have died young, or not been involved in the tradition. However, my dear grandmother, now 104, has listed her verse (Proverbs 22:6), and I am now pursuing my parents to add theirs, whilst considering mine - though I feel I should be older when I select it, to ensure it best represents me and reflects my life.

Does anyone else have similar traditions with Family Bibles or more generally, and if not perhaps you could be inspired to start it? I feel it really tells you so much about the person and their values, and of course instills a strong Biblical connection through the generations.

God Bless,
Brenda

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there all,

I am new to these forums and I thought some might appreciate a family tradition I am making sure continues.

Our Family Bible, dating from 1793, lists the genealogical information for my maternal family, the Brewsters. However, the matriarch of this family was a deeply pious lady, and she started what I feel is the most precious tradition I have come across in my family history: relatives are encouraged to list their favourite Bible verse or passage alongside their personal 'data' (ie birth date, christening date, marriage). Of course, not everyone has a verse listed as they may have died young, or not been involved in the tradition. However, my dear grandmother, now 104, has listed her verse (Proverbs 22:6), and I am now pursuing my parents to add theirs, whilst considering mine - though I feel I should be older when I select it, to ensure it best represents me and reflects my life.

Does anyone else have similar traditions with Family Bibles or more generally, and if not perhaps you could be inspired to start it? I feel it really tells you so much about the person and their values, and of course instills a strong Biblical connection through the generations.

God Bless,
Brenda
Hi there; sounds great. My wife's family has put various details in family Bibles sometimes.

Even more valuable is for each generation to hide the Word in their heart (Psalm 119.11). :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there all,

God Bless,
Brenda
Hi there; sounds great. My wife's family has put various details in family Bibles sometimes.

Even more valuable is for each generation to hide the Word in their heart (Psalm 119.11). :)

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There was a strong history of family bibles listing genealogical information amongst my ancestors (the Afrikaners), but the practice died out at some point in the early 20th century. It has however made genealogical investigation of my family tree far easier than it would be otherwise.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's fantastic!

The only problem I've found with this tradition is that most families only use one Bible, so obviously it can only go to one child each time it's passed down. Within a couple generations, most of the descendants don't have access to it. Within a couple more generations, most of them don't even know that it exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums