Women's roles: How men from differerent backgrounds (Christian and non) view things

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. Fairly conservative Christian female here. I've seen everything from how my unconventional (yet relatively conservative) dad, and my non-theistic husband, view things, vs. how differently they view things vs. how IFB Baptists, ATI Gothardites, and Vision Forum Calvinists view things. It's quite the gamut! I'm wondering who is in the right on these kinds of matters, and why they aren't always as clear-cut as each opposite camp likes to present them as. I'm also interested in more middle-ground views, and why people hold them instead of the opposite extremes.

Anyway, my dad is a mid-sixties, Episcopalian raised, Lutheran and Pentecostal exposed, fairly easygoing guy who has thought now for quite some time that people can be saved after they die, that hell is not eternal, that Christ is coming back soon, that the End Times are near, that Israel's nationhood has Biblical prophecy significance, that Donald Trump is a good Christian man, and yet that we need to view and magnify love beyond legalistic rules and regulations. He's very emotionally expressive, loves poetry and music, thinks people need to be positive and friendly, and hates in-depth theological debate and pedantry (even though he himself is highly intellectual when actually put to the test).

With all of that in view, it interests me that he fiercely and fully approved my marriage to a non-theistic guy who is noble, stoic, loyal, creative, and intellectual. He did this in the face of patriarchal Calvinists who tried to break me and my fiance apart. He reminded the Calvinists -- even though my dad is not the kind of guy who enjoys wielding authority -- that he was in charge of me, as my daughter, and that he didn't think my choice of man was contrary to God's will. He told the Calvinists that love was more important than following rules or the law, and that my then-fiance's love for me was proof that he could be saved in spite of my then-fiance not believing the Christian faith (the Calvinists tried to break me and my fiance apart because my fiance wasn't Christian).

My dad, my now-husband (since 2016), and even my conservative LCMS elder pastor all believe that women are NOT men's property, and should be given some freedom in their lives and views, despite holding some otherwise very different (or complete lack of) theological views.

My dad once told me that he thought one of the conservative patriarchal Calvinist women had such a timid and frightened look that he warned me not to follow in their footsteps. He thought they were legalistic, proud, and controlling in some ways.

My husband, meanwhile, told me that he found very clear differences between patriarchal Calvinists and my former IFB church, vs. Calvary Chapel and the LCMS church. He said the patriarchal Calvinists and IFB church members hardly allowed their women and wives to speak, whereas he saw the Calvary Chapel and LCMS women as more free to be actual human beings with views and opinions. I found this interesting because all groups forbid women's ordinaton (as the Apostle Paul wrote), and all groups are roughly considered 'Conservative Christian' -- but the patriarchal Calvinists and IFB churches also forbid women to do many other things, especially the patriarchal Calvinists, who forbid their women even side jobs, higher education, or the right to vote in many instances. My dad and husband both think this is very excessive, even though one is theistic and the other isn't.

All these divides remind me how different Christianity can look, even among people allegedly in the same group -- or how people of opposing groups can witness and observe the same things, such as my dad and my husband, who have both warned me about the excesses of patriarchal groups, and would much rather me be involved with Christian groups that they view less extreme.

Any further thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: Michie

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
It's funny because I'm in what is easily considered to be one of the most theologically conservative churches(Eastern Orthodox), yet we give women dignity. Yes, there's biological differences between men and women that suit them for different roles, but in the Orthodox church we allow women to voice opinions, lead the choir, lead the parish council, etc. About the only thing we cannot do is be ordained(which actually has sound theological reasoning behind it). Even men and women's monasticism is identical in the Orthodox church as we're seen as equal in the eyes of God.

All that said, Christian misogyny really grinds my gears.

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's funny because I'm in what is easily considered to be one of the most theologically conservative churches(Eastern Orthodox), yet we give women dignity. Yes, there's biological differences between men and women that suit them for different roles, but in the Orthodox church we allow women to voice opinions, lead the choir, lead the parish council, etc. About the only thing we cannot do is be ordained(which actually has sound theological reasoning behind it). Even men and women's monasticism is identical in the Orthodox church as we're seen as equal in the eyes of God.

All that said, Christian misogyny really grinds my gears.

I actually considered Eastern Orthodox for a time a few months back. I have a lot of respect for the Orthodox and think they do a lot of things better than many Protestant denominations. Long story, but didn't quite convert.

Upvote 0

starryshadows

Feb 6, 2018
USA
✟36,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the patriarchal Calvinists, who forbid their women even side jobs, higher education, or the right to vote in many instances
It may be a bit of a generalization there...not sure if you were saying all Calvinists are 'patriarchal' or just a particular group.
I have several friends who are Calvinists. One is getting her PhD, has a job, and votes. As far as I am aware, none of my Calvinist friends treat women that way.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, I take a run-in-your-own-lane approach. There are scriptures directed just to men/husbands and others just to women/wives.

I have my hands full trying to wrestle (in the Holy Spirit) with what God expects from me. I do not have the grace to pre-digest womanly Scriptures and prescribe their compliance to my wife. I hold the reverse to be true for her.

I can benefit from comparing notes with other brothers and she, with other sisters. I think that as we make peace with our own responsibilities in the Holy Spirit, it will begin to look like the Biblical model, not because of outward compulsion, but due to an inner resolution.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I don't have enough experience of different denominations, but it seems to me that how things are said to be and how they are under the surface are often rather different.

In Christian confessions, and elsewhere.

Reactions: kdm1984
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In real life, I find that most men, even if they disagree with what I'm doing, are content to take a live-and-let-live approach. Online, however, is another story...

I'm not really sure what you're asking, kdm, but I'm interested in how the topic might unfold.

Reactions: starryshadows
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
In real life, I find that most men, even if they disagree with what I'm doing, are content to take a live-and-let-live approach. Online, however, is another story...

I'm not really sure what you're asking, kdm, but I'm interested in how the topic might unfold.

Well, people are more vocal online. It comes with the territory of being securely behind a computer screen.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but also in real life I'm in a bit of a social bubble. Most of the men I interact with either belong to my church or are secular; I encounter relatively few Christians who have affiliations similar to the folks who feel free to call me names online.

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It may be a bit of a generalization there...not sure if you were saying all Calvinists are 'patriarchal' or just a particular group.
I have several friends who are Calvinists. One is getting her PhD, has a job, and votes. As far as I am aware, none of my Calvinist friends treat women that way.

Calvs, like Luths, also have a more liberal branch. I tried to make it clear I was referring to the more conserv Vision Forum branch in my post.

Reactions: starryshadows
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

starryshadows

Feb 6, 2018
USA
✟36,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Calvs, like Luths, also have a more liberal branch. I tried to make it clear I was referring to the more conserv Vision Forum branch in my post.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up with me. :) I actually didn't know about the other branch.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. Fairly conservative Christian female here. I've seen everything from how my unconventional (yet relatively conservative) dad, and my non-theistic husband, view things, vs. how differently they view things vs. how IFB Baptists, ATI Gothardites, and Vision Forum Calvinists view things. It's quite the gamut! I'm wondering who is in the right on these kinds of matters, and why they aren't always as clear-cut as each opposite camp likes to present them as. I'm also interested in more middle-ground views, and why people hold them instead of the opposite extremes.

Anyway, my dad is a mid-sixties, Episcopalian raised, Lutheran and Pentecostal exposed, fairly easygoing guy who has thought now for quite some time that people can be saved after they die, that hell is not eternal, that Christ is coming back soon, that the End Times are near, that Israel's nationhood has Biblical prophecy significance, that Donald Trump is a good Christian man, and yet that we need to view and magnify love beyond legalistic rules and regulations. He's very emotionally expressive, loves poetry and music, thinks people need to be positive and friendly, and hates in-depth theological debate and pedantry (even though he himself is highly intellectual when actually put to the test).

With all of that in view, it interests me that he fiercely and fully approved my marriage to a non-theistic guy who is noble, stoic, loyal, creative, and intellectual. He did this in the face of patriarchal Calvinists who tried to break me and my fiance apart. He reminded the Calvinists -- even though my dad is not the kind of guy who enjoys wielding authority -- that he was in charge of me, as my daughter, and that he didn't think my choice of man was contrary to God's will. He told the Calvinists that love was more important than following rules or the law, and that my then-fiance's love for me was proof that he could be saved in spite of my then-fiance not believing the Christian faith (the Calvinists tried to break me and my fiance apart because my fiance wasn't Christian).

My dad, my now-husband (since 2016), and even my conservative LCMS elder pastor all believe that women are NOT men's property, and should be given some freedom in their lives and views, despite holding some otherwise very different (or complete lack of) theological views.

My dad once told me that he thought one of the conservative patriarchal Calvinist women had such a timid and frightened look that he warned me not to follow in their footsteps. He thought they were legalistic, proud, and controlling in some ways.

My husband, meanwhile, told me that he found very clear differences between patriarchal Calvinists and my former IFB church, vs. Calvary Chapel and the LCMS church. He said the patriarchal Calvinists and IFB church members hardly allowed their women and wives to speak, whereas he saw the Calvary Chapel and LCMS women as more free to be actual human beings with views and opinions. I found this interesting because all groups forbid women's ordinaton (as the Apostle Paul wrote), and all groups are roughly considered 'Conservative Christian' -- but the patriarchal Calvinists and IFB churches also forbid women to do many other things, especially the patriarchal Calvinists, who forbid their women even side jobs, higher education, or the right to vote in many instances. My dad and husband both think this is very excessive, even though one is theistic and the other isn't.

All these divides remind me how different Christianity can look, even among people allegedly in the same group -- or how people of opposing groups can witness and observe the same things, such as my dad and my husband, who have both warned me about the excesses of patriarchal groups, and would much rather me be involved with Christian groups that they view less extreme.

Any further thoughts?

I think, above all else, you and others should look to how Christ treated women. He never demeaned them. In fact, he spoke to them like equals. Mind you, in Jesus' time on earth, women lived in a society where they were not allowed to speak to men they didn't know or men outside their family in public or private. Women also had virtually no rights (regardless of what commands God laid down for women in the OT). They had no choice but to get married and depend on men because there were very few ways to provide for themselves and society was not especially kind and charitable towards widows (especially poor widows). Women were also not often allowed to speak in public meetings, assemblies, temples, etc, so the chance for their thoughts and concerns to be heard was very small.

The fact that Jesus spoke to women who had never met Him before in public places was a huge deal because it put them on equal spiritual footing with men and gave them a chance to have their voices heard.

A lot of people point to the various verses in the NT as evidence for women's inferiority and upholding the patriarchy but I see them as means of protection for women in a society that still wasn't kind to them (even after Christ). Societal change doesn't happen over night. In the mean time, the Apostles saw a need to protect, love, and provide for women who were extremely vulnerable in that time period.

Jesus treated women with respect, love, and compassion. He did not view them as inferior to men but as equals in the Kingdom. That is the way all men in the world should treat women. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is not following Christ.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mind you, in Jesus' time on earth, women lived in a society where they were not allowed to speak to men they didn't know or men outside their family in public or private.
They must have lightened up a little. Anna [Luke 2:36-38] was able to speak freely.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They must have lightened up a little. Anna [Luke 2:36-38] was able to speak freely.

The NT sadly doesn't give us any other information about her life.

Luke calls her a "prophetess" in relations to proclaiming good things about Jesus when He was presented at the temple. But these verses in Luke also say that she was an elderly widowed woman who prayed and fasted at the temple and was very devout. She wasn't a priestess or a big voice in the church. It also says that she spoke to all who would listen, so she wasn't speaking to everyone at the temple. It is safe to assume that, though she was a prophet of the Lord and that God spoke through her concerning Jesus, she was not a leader in her community in the way that a man could be.

In the OT the tone regarding women is one of respect and it is evident that women were to be respected, provided for, and cherished. But, by Jesus day, that tone changed quite a bit.

Jesus and the Role of Women • Jews for Jesus

^^ here's a better description of what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

In my experience, though, the LCMS are less extreme or militant in their cultural conservativism than some Calvinists in the US. Calvinist assumptions about what a just society looks like, for instance, lie at the heart of the Culture Wars.

I'm in the ELCA but I can listen to the Lutheran Hour and recognize the same overall approach to being a Christian, and you'll even find similar messages in our churches. But the difference between various Reformed churches is much more profound when it comes to social ethics, it goes across a spectrum from theonomy to humanism (BTW, I believe Lutheran ethics is, on the whole, much closer to humanism).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'm a conservative non-denominational. The Calvinists and IFBs (are any IFBs not Calvinist?) that you describe are over-rigid when they say that men and women must live that way. Ultra-authoritarianism seems to be completely incompatible with the virtues that the New Testament requires of men. It also reeks of weakness. If your wife can speak, work, learn, and vote, are you so weak that it threatens you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a conservative non-denominational. The Calvinists and IFBs (are any IFBs not Calvinist?) that you describe are over-rigid when they say that men and women must live that way. Ultra-authoritarianism seems to be completely incompatible with the virtues that the New Testament requires of men. It also reeks of weakness. If your wife can speak, work, learn, and vote, are you so weak that it threatens you?

IFBs are actually very Arminian in their theology, not Calvinist at all. However, they do happen to share a strongly patriarchal and authoritarian view of gender roles, like Vision Forum Calvinists do. And I agree that taking it to the lengths that these people do seem incompatible with the NT virtues of men.

The Bible makes it clear that church leadership is for men, but patriarchal and authoritarian types presuppose that principle must be extended rigidly across almost all other spheres of life as well. Yet the Bible never states explicitly that women shouldn't work, vote, go to college, etc. (the first thing seems quite contradicted by the diligence of the Proverbs 31 woman, who conducts a variety of tasks outside of the household -- considering fields, etc. -- and the other things are functions of modern society, so the Bible is silent on them).

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Everyone's a tough guy behind a keyboard.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Any further thoughts?
While your post was entirely too long for me to properly digest, I see that as an avatar, you have chosen what I assume to be a picture of yourself wearing a shirt displaying the word "helpmeet".

What does that word mean in your eye, and why do you feel the need to label yourself like that? Does it show anything else outside of the picture frame?

Upvote 0

kdm1984

WELS
Oct 8, 2016
SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While your post was entirely too long for me to properly digest, I see that as an avatar, you have chosen what I assume to be a picture of yourself wearing a shirt displaying the word "helpmeet".

What does that word mean in your eye, and why do you feel the need to label yourself like that? Does it show anything else outside of the picture frame?

The post was long to give explanatory context.

The word "helpmeet" is the Biblical term used to describe the very first woman, Eve.

The fact that my writing style and choice of shirt puzzle you, means we likely think on very different wavelengths, and aren't likely to agree on much.

Upvote 0