• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Women's pastors?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by Agulhas, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin1954

twin1954 Baptist by the Bible

+1,345
    Calvinist
    Married
    The simple truth is that God ordains men to the office and not men. Men recognize the gift of God in a man and so does the church but the official "ordination" is a man made ceremony. God raises up His men for a certain work, gifts and prepares them for it and puts them in it. When God does so it cannot be denied by men.

2. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+300
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, thanks for elaborating upon that. I forget what Epistle it is, but Paul says that God has appointed so and so to be elders. I was just working out how the process visually appears. If no man recognized that God has set you aside to lead His people, then God hasn't set you aside.

3. twin1954

+1,345
    Calvinist
    Married
    Let me put it this way, I know that God has called me to preach His Gospel because He opens the door and puts me where He would have me without me ever seeking it. Yet I do not know that God has called me to pastor, though I desire to with my whole soul, because He hasn't put me in that place. I wait on Him. I do not send out resume's or call on churches or put myself out there in order to get the job. I just wait for Him to put me in the place He has prepared me for. If God calls a man to pastor He puts the man and the sheep together and they both know it is God's doing.

4. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+300
    Christian
    Married
    We're all called to preach the Gospel to some degree. We're not all called to be deacons or elders.:preach:

5. Bluelion

Bluelion Peace and Love

+307
    Baptist
    Married
    you two want to pair off and start your own religion?:) i jest.

6. NannaNae

NannaNae Guest

+0
    hum? SO if this is really all about men oppionions so who was more correct Pharisee or Sadducee? is it possible for consensuses to get it all wrong , even a little hot with a little cold until it is all luke warm ? Science has it almost all wrong they do got that way by one censuses after another ;)

7. Bluelion

Bluelion Peace and Love

+307
    Baptist
    Married
    wait did you just say science was wrong? I thought I was the only such animal:)

8. twin1954

+1,345
    Calvinist
    Married
    True but I am talking specifically about preaching from the pulpit to a congregation.

I do a lot of travelling all around the country filling in for men when they are away from their flock or preaching for groups who have no pastor yet. Everywhere I go the pastor or the people ask me to come. I wait on the Lord to open whatever door He sees fit to open. I have been asked a few times to become a pastor but I wasn't convinced by the Spirit I was their man. I will not run where I haven't been sent.

9. twin1954

+1,345
    Calvinist
    Married
    We don't need to Christ already has. :)

10. tulipbee

tulipbee Worker of the Hive

+259
    Christian
    Private
    Laying of hands can go a long way. Laying of hands can go from RRC into protestantism. Laying of hands multiplies . Multiplying over 2,000 years means a lot heads been laid hands on.
    It can be done through the handshakes. Lets count how many handshakes happen in 2,000 years. That's why the RRC can't keep a small list and narrow ordination to a smaller group to a single pope. That's why they can't prove apostlic succession. They lost some records in the beginning.

Why would Jesus request us to spend our time recording one trillion trillion laying of hands by name ?

So ordination had to be something else other than what I just said.

I might have change the subject in this post.

11. Bluelion

Bluelion Peace and Love

+307
    Baptist
    Married
    when your called to that there is no doubt, you know your called, it very much like being called to repent.

12. Bluelion

Bluelion Peace and Love

+307
    Baptist
    Married
    I thought he was just speaking truth, that's a religion now?:D I jest.

13. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+300
    Christian
    Married
    The Holy Spirit is supposed to lead us into all truth (John 16:13). So, no, I don't think that the vast majority of exegetes for all time can be wrong on such a clear subject, otherwise the Holy SPirit has failed in His mission.

What I am saying is a very simple point. If one looks at Church History, the heretics are always the ones with new ideas that you simply cannot find in the Scripture, or within orthodox tradition. Essentially, those who oppose the traditional viewpoint on this issue believe the vast preponderance of the Church has had an heterodox opinion on this matter since the very beginning until the 1960s. Sorry, I find that hard to swallow.

14. Bluelion

Bluelion Peace and Love

+307
    Baptist
    Married
    The New testament is based on a New idea, Jews thought it was a new age movement to and they wanted there traditions well tough:D

15. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    tulipbee,

Technically, that is not what defines a Presbyterian. Generally, the Westminster Confession of Faith and TULIP are key doctrinal emphases of Presbyterians. However, many have become theological modernist or postmodernist and these emphases are gone or very diluted. Even though I'm ordained with a Baptistic denomination, I attend a local Presbyterian church here in Australia as my wife is a gifted musician and plays piano in the music team. The continuing Presbyterians in Australia are evangelical. The liberal Presbyterians joined the Uniting Church in Australia.

Thanks for your other emphases and that women in Ephesus (according to 1 Tim) were possibly teaching error. My understanding is that these women had to be quietened. It is addressing a specific situation (with application to lots of women teaching error throughout church history), but it was not designed for the absolute silencing of women preachers and teachers.

Taking that position from an exegetical perspective has earned me lots of flack in this thread.

Oz

16. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    It makes one a church leader. There are many missionary women in remote places of the globe who are in a prominent position of leadership in the local church. I have a missionary friend from the Philippines who has recently retired. She came to speak at our church a few weeks ago. I had a good, long talk with her about her leadership roles as a female mission on the field.

She had prominent authority in the local church. 'Governing authority' (your language) is not biblical language as far as I can see.

17. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+300
    Christian
    Married
    It still does not address my Scriptural point. God Himself made a promise, the question is, how can the "truth" changing 2,000 years later, contradicting His earlier revelation, be consistent with a God that tells the truth?

18. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You did not need to see the resurrected Christ to be an apostle according to 1 Cor 12:27-31 and Eph 4:11-14. I do wish you would read the whole of the NT to get an understanding of who were apostles.

19. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    If that is the way you deal with my detailed exegesis of Rom 16:7, I will not respond to you any further. Being among the apostles was like my being among the other musicians playing guitar. I was one of the musicians.

20. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I provided you with detailed exegesis of Rom 16:7 and Junia being a female apostle and this is what I got from you. You were the one who challenged me to demonstrate that she was a female. I did that, and now you come back with this red herring that did not address what I exegeted in Rom 16:7.

I will not take you seriously again in this thread when you ask me to demonstrate a theological point. You have treated my exegesis as something to be ignored. Not once in your response did you deal with my exegesis, thus making your response a red herring. We can't have a logical conversation when you do this.

Bye. :wave:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.