Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shalom Lulav,:wave:

Sorry for not being more clear here.

No, discussing views is not presumptuous. Asking our Father to remember mercy in the midst of His wrath is not invoking wrath. It is an echo of Habakkuk's prayer and an expression of our need to remain humble.

Habakkuk 3:2
O LORD, I have heard Your speech and was afraid;
O LORD, revive Your work in the midst of the years!
In the midst of the years make it known;
In wrath remember mercy.

The presumption comes in for those people who are confident,to the point of arrogance at times, no matter what is placed in front of them, that they are the ONLY one(s) who correctly understand anything Scriptural.

and to the later post about block logic being difficult to understand, yes, it is difficult compared to our western thinking, but once it sort of "clicks in" in your understanding it won't be so hard. Either/or (western) as opposed to both/and (block) is my best short hand picture of it for whatever that might be worth.

You were including all here participating in your prayer which means you are accusing us all of this presumption, at least that's how I see it. You did not post the passage, but made it your prayer, for today.

By saying this you are saying that we are subject to G-ds wrath because we don't all agree on how he views women? I don't think so, nor do I believe that many here would either.

His wrath is saved up for the disobedient, the heathen, not for those who are believers and in obedience to him.

Do you honestly believe that this is meant for us?

And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

For the great day of his wrath is come ; and who shall be able to stand ?

And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God.

John tells us that

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned : but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Upvote 0

Jerushabelle

Oct 6, 2010
✟6,072.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
and to the later post about block logic being difficult to understand, yes, it is difficult compared to our western thinking, but once it sort of "clicks in" in your understanding it won't be so hard. Either/or (western) as opposed to both/and (block) is my best short hand picture of it for whatever that might be worth.

Kindness in response is worth quite a lot to me lately. Thank you. I will contemplate your words.

Upvote 0
B

Brother Sammy

It isn't my intention to injure nor offend anyone. I don't mean to come off as uncaring or unloving. And if I appear to come across with brash arrogance i sincerely apologize. I think it all simply comes down to Biblical interpretation. No Paul is not G-d BUT he was His Apostle. Paul reminds us several times in the Scriptures that he was called to be an Apostle by Y'shua Himself(1st Corinthians 9). Paul reminds us that what he wrote was the Lords commandment unless he specifically states what his opinion is. Paul's Epistles have long been established as part of the Canon of Scripture.
As for the topic of women rabbis, pastors, preachers ect..it is hard to understand how some people can get around passages like 1st Timothy 2:11-15 which say that women are not to teach or have authority over men. Or the many numerous passages of Scripture that say that bishops, elders and deacons are to be the husband of one wife, & righteous men when listing their qualifications. Since bishops, elders & deacon are described as 'righteous men' this precludes women from serving in offices of authority over men. G-d has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). Most of the Apostles were uneducated. It is simply the way G-d designed the Church to function. Men are to set the example in spiritual leadership--in their lives and through their words. Women are to take a less authoritative role. Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5). The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The ONLY activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors, rabbis or preachers to men. This does not make women less important, by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with G-d's plan and His gifting of them. There are several different ministries within the MJ synagogue & church where women can teach and evangelize that men are simply not equipped or have no understanding of how to do. We men owe those women a huge debt of gratitude.

Upvote 0

etZion

A Dirty Gentile
Feb 2, 2012
✟16,035.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It isn't my intention to injure nor offend anyone. I don't mean to come off as uncaring or unloving. And if I appear to come across with brash arrogance i sincerely apologize. I think it all simply comes down to Biblical interpretation. No Paul is not G-d BUT he was His Apostle. Paul reminds us several times in the Scriptures that he was called to be an Apostle by Y'shua Himself(1st Corinthians 9). Paul reminds us that what he wrote was the Lords commandment unless he specifically states what his opinion is. Paul's Epistles have long been established as part of the Canon of Scripture.
As for the topic of women rabbis, pastors, preachers ect..it is hard to understand how some people can get around passages like 1st Timothy 2:11-15 which say that women are not to teach or have authority over men. Or the many numerous passages of Scripture that say that bishops, elders and deacons are to be the husband of one wife, & righteous men when listing their qualifications. Since bishops, elders & deacon are described as 'righteous men' this precludes women from serving in offices of authority over men. G-d has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers, or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). Most of the Apostles were uneducated. It is simply the way G-d designed the Church to function. Men are to set the example in spiritual leadership--in their lives and through their words. Women are to take a less authoritative role. Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3-5). The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The ONLY activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This logically would preclude women from serving as pastors, rabbis or preachers to men. This does not make women less important, by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with G-d's plan and His gifting of them. There are several different ministries within the MJ synagogue & church where women can teach and evangelize that men are simply not equipped or have no understanding of how to do. We men owe those women a huge debt of gratitude.

If you are interested in a different perspective, J.K. McKee has a good article here: TNN Online: FAQ - W

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It isn't my intention to injure nor offend anyone. I don't mean to come off as uncaring or unloving. And if I appear to come across with brash arrogance i sincerely apologize.

no need to at all! i believe i misunderstood you and took your words the wrong way, sorry for that

Appreciate the explanations , I gladly agree to disagree :)

Henaynei, i appreciate your prayer and may God richly bless you too. I take the topic of any discrimination of minorities or women too close to heart

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);59921838 said:
Seeing the thread and how much focus there is upon male leadership/the rights of men rather than women, something I was wondering was why it seems that males were able to exercise the rights of being married to multiple women....and yet, women did not have the right for multiple men. In a society where women could not be married except to one husband, it has always seemed odd that women were considered adulterous ("hoes" as it is aid in the hood) for marrying more than one man.

That has always seemed odd.

And to be clear, this is said in light of already understanding how the religious leaders tried to trap Jesus by discussing the laws of Moses in regards to divorce ( Deuteronomy 24:2-4 / Deuteronomy 24 )---as they were focused on what Moses gave in the law and the Lord brought them back to the focus of how things were MEANT to be....and why laws were given ( Matthew 19:7-9 / Matthew 19, Mark 10:4-6/ Mark 10 ) Where they had actually glorifed one aspect of what Moses said, the Lord made clear that a specific law was never given because the Lord wanted others to walk in that for all time...but rather, it was given since the people were corrupt/wouldn't honor him and a system had to be given to restrain the damage that could be done to others when marriage wasn't upheld.

The same thing goes for laws made about polygamy, as the Law stated that a man could take another wife as long as he still provided for his first wife (Exo.21:10). And for others who had multiple wives:

• Jacob married Leah and Rachel (Gen.29:23-30; 31:17; 32:22) and then he married Leah and Rachel's handmaids, Zilbah and Bilhahand (Genesis 30:1-24; 37:2)
  • Judge Gideon had many wives and a concubine (Judges 8:30-31)
  • Elkanah married Hannah and Peninnah (1 Sam.1:2)
  • David married Abigail and Ahinoam (1 Sam.25:42-43; 30:18), then later took more wives (2 Sam.5:13) at Jerusalem (1 Chron.14:3)
  • In 2 Sam.12:7-8, God gave David these multiple wives as a blessing, just as anointing him as king over Israel, protecting him from Saul, and giving him the house of Israel and Judah were also blessings from Him
  • Ashur married Helah and Naarah (1 Chron.4:5)
  • Shaharaim married Hushim and Baara (1 Chron.8:8)
  • Abijah had 14 wives (2 Chron.13:21)
  • Jehoiada the priest had 2 wives (2 Chron.24:3).

Wonderful piece of study, thank you dearly! I somewhat never paid attention to that verse in Exodus. You surely prompted me to study more Scripture and meditate- I am sincerely grateful ,Easy

(I will consult already married women here re: practicality and benefits of having a few husbands vs. one. I am guessing if one husband is useful to have, more should be even better, but wil need more expert opinion. We will get back to you with the poll results :D)

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Wonderful piece of study, thank you dearly! I somewhat never paid attention to that verse in Exodus. You surely prompted me to study more Scripture and meditate- I am sincerely grateful ,Easy

(I will consult already married women here re: practicality and benefits of having a few husbands vs. one. I am guessing if one husband is useful to have, more should be even better, but wil need more expert opinion. We will get back to you with the poll results :D)
:D no ...thank you .. to take good care of your man... it takes a lot of work.. they are high maintenance...lol:D

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
:D no ...thank you .. to take good care of your man... it takes a lot of work.. they are high maintenance...lol:D

Ain't that de truth!! More often than not, we have to "think" for them as they seem to be stuck in their "nothing" box far too much of the time.
Tale of Two Brains - YouTube

Sorry to those of you I've already shared this with before - but it never fails to give several belly laughs as I watch it over and over!

Upvote 0

SAM Wis

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
✟7,957.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You were including all here participating in your prayer which means you are accusing us all of this presumption, at least that's how I see it. You did not post the passage, but made it your prayer, for today.

By saying this you are saying that we are subject to G-ds wrath because we don't all agree on how he views women? I don't think so, nor do I believe that many here would either.

His wrath is saved up for the disobedient, the heathen, not for those who are believers and in obedience to him.

Do you honestly believe that this is meant for us?

Oh, dear Lulav!

I am afraid you have misunderstood!

No I am not intending to accuse anyone, and in posting, I still haven't always retained the memory of who said what in a previous post. and then, while posting, don't know how to go back to check that without losing what has been done. Technical difficulties on my part for that.

I fully agree that His END TIME wrath is to be poured out on those who reject Him, but Habakkuk was not among those who were rejected, though he interceded for them, knowing I suppose, that the rain will fall on both the righteous and the unrighteous. So even righteous people have trouble when some else' behavior stirs something up.

I have no interest in a I'm right/ Your wrong kind of argument. That, too, is a rather Greek or Western mindset and way of proceeding. I believe all of us need to remain humble and "hold some things loosely" that are just not clear.

Personally, I think that YHWH left some things muddy like that, in order to test our hearts. Will we fall into the snare and become contentious or will we remain gracious?

Exploring them I do not think should include any kind of "put down" humor or trying to make points one way or the other, with sarcastic remarks that disparage either side or distract. I have seen this sort of thing often among those who call themselves Messianic, and in these forums in my short time here I'm sad to say, as I believe others have commented on as well.

Yet, having said that I'm not interested in a right/wrong approach, it is also true that there are some things that may seem one way in one level of study, yet when taken as a whole, in light of our Abba's character and His functional way of designing every aspect of Creation, there is more to see.

So if one person is seeing or addressing an issue at a pshat or remez level and discussing views with someone who is seeing or addressing an issue at say a midrashic level, they could well think they are at odds with one another, or get involved in thinking one is right and the other is wrong.

My apologies if I am preaching to the proverbial choir here! And I do mean to address all, not just Lulav, I would think people here in this thread already have to know these things, don't they? But if they don't, that may explain some of the difficulties that arise in trying to discuss topics.

It is not an accusation to make an observation. In this case, that there are some people, and I think it is clear from reading the posts who that is, that APPEAR absolutely confident that their way of understanding a Scripture passage or concept is the ONLY possible way to understand it. I would have to say I have been guilty of that myself back in the years before I became a serious student of the Word, though not a scholar by any standards still.

Before I began to study from a Hebraic perspective it seemed every sermon I heard or every article I read was just repeating the same things I'd already heard or studied. Nothing new under the sun.

I felt some despair then, thinking this can't be! It can't possibly be that I know everything there is to know...I'm too young and haven't studied enough yet for that to happen I thought. So where was the rest of the story? I had heard people say that Scripture was deep and endless, but I certainly wasn't seeing that!

Then, when I began to study from a Hebraic perspective, and began to see the western interpretations and how they influenced what we saw as opposed to the eastern/Hebraic worldview, more opened up. Learning about and seeing the Pshat, Remez, Drash and Sod levels of understanding began to be more apparent that there is more than one way to fulfill Torah. And Hillel's Rules of Interpretation... HERE is part of the depth I was looking for. All praise to Yeshua!

Fulfilling Torah to my understanding means to make YHWH's character more evident and to be in accord with His character in whatever is said, while abolishing it refers to any interpretation that would in some way misrepresent His nature and character. If I am wrong on this, I will stand corrected.

Then learning more about paleo Hebrew and the "micro" messages of each letter and thus each word opened more...and is still opening up more as I study. Then learning about thematic and chiastic studies began to show more on a "macro" level of how our Abba has woven in the depth of meaning where layer upon layer of meaning and instruction and insight is yet still consistent to the whole.

In studying at any level, and seeing additional insights, there must still be respect maintained for the pshat level, though the other levels will often further clarify what is meant.

If one is looking at the pshat level, it is crucial to understand the context.Yes, I know every Bible teacher will tell us that, but my question has been how many are actually DOING that, unless they are bringing a Hebraic worldview?

In several of my posts on this topic, I have referenced Cheryl Schatz in depth work on the role of women. Though she doesn't have a Hebraic worldview, she HAS done in-depth study and as I've noted, has been able to shed some light on cultural aspects that need to be understood more fully, in order to rightly divide the Word. I think this has bearing on understanding at least the pshat level, and perhaps more.

I don't think it would be productive to try to re-create her study here in a thread as it is something in the area of 5 hours long so I have referred to it.

It reminds me, too, of people arguing over which of the 4 generally accepted eschatalogylviews are "correct" when I think that each of them is coming from a different perspective and has it's use for discipline and correction.

Does this help clarify my intent?

If it doesn't I think I will have to stop here anyway as too many words without the whole context of relationship and nuances and facial expressions that go with personal conversation may just make matters worse!

As someone recently told me, if you find yourself in a hole, the best thing to do is to stop digging! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

etZion

A Dirty Gentile
Feb 2, 2012
✟16,035.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I read the article thank you but I truly must say it hasn't budged me one bit. I will respectfully disagree with McKee's assessment. *does the Mr.Spock one eyebrow raise* ;-)

Previously you said this: I think it all simply comes down to Biblical interpretation.

And I agree, it is simply a different perspective we all hold.

Upvote 0

mishkan

There's room for YOU in the Mishkan!
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to admit, Im mildly curious as to how some others interrupt Genesis 3:17 in relation to the topic of "woman rabbis"?
I'm no fan of female rabbis, for a number of reasons, based on personal observation. But I don't think that particular verse applies to the question. Abram had received a specific instruction from Hashem. Instead of following through on what he was told, he listened to his wife, and took a shortcut.

End of story.

One guy choosing to take his wife's counsel when he should have trusted an explicit word from the Almighty doesn't really tell us that we should never take the advice of our wives. If we generalized the story that way, none of us would never have any peace in our homes, and us men would miss out on a LOT of very wise advice.

This is why the rabbis go out of their way to state the principle that legal rulings cannot be derived from stories--there is no way to tell how the story should be applied, based on just reading the text.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
And I've said this before but now seems a good time to repeat it: When we (any one of us) get to the point where we are simply butting our head against a brick wall trying to prove "our correct pov" instead of wanting to learn of other perspectives, then that is the time to stop. All that needs to be said and has been said. It's time for the readers to read, decide and learn. Thread has accomplished its purpose.
It's more important to be teachable than to be right.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

Abram had received a specific instruction from Hashem. Instead of following through on what he was told, he listened to his wife, and took a shortcut.

Does that, from your interruptation, relate to what Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11:3?
Curious as to how it can not be offensive to some women, if that is possible, I suppose. God loves us all very much and glorifies all good things, regardless of how much mankind has distorted the differences. Kind of a touchy subject, but doesn't necessarily need to be that touchy.
Thank you for your response and God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, dear Lulav!

I am afraid you have misunderstood!

:wave:

Please forgive my knee-jerk reaction. This forum, sadly is not one to have discussion for the sake of discussion, which I love, instead it is like trying to talk with a few like-minded people over one shoulder while brandishing a sword to fight off those who only come here to cause contention.

I understand where you are coming from, and wish everyone here were the same but that isn't to be. Because of coming from so many backgrounds, words, culture, and thought processes are all different. It's like the Tower of Babble after HaShem went down!

It's a struggle, and very wearying. :) please accept my apologies and misunderstandings and 'jumping the gun'?

:hug:

Reactions: yedida
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please forgive my knee-jerk reaction. This forum, sadly is not one to have discussion for the sake of discussion, which I love, instead it is like trying to talk with a few like-minded people over one shoulder while brandishing a sword to fight off those who only come here to cause contention.

I understand where you are coming from, and wish everyone here were the same but that isn't to be. Because of coming from so many backgrounds, words, culture, and thought processes are all different. It's like the Tower of Babble after HaShem went down!

It's a struggle, and very wearying. :) please accept my apologies and misunderstandings and 'jumping the gun'?

:hug:

Isn't it wonderful, though, that the majority here are quick to hear when we're wrong or have misunderstood (God forbid it's me!!!! hehehe (quite often actually)), admit it, ask forgiveness, receive it and all move on? That doesn't really happen in a lot of forums, at least, not that I've seen.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm no fan of female rabbis, for a number of reasons, based on personal observation. But I don't think that particular verse applies to the question. Abram had received a specific instruction from Hashem. Instead of following through on what he was told, he listened to his wife, and took a shortcut.

End of story.

One guy choosing to take his wife's counsel when he should have trusted an explicit word from the Almighty
doesn't really tell us that we should never take the advice of our wives. If we generalized the story that way, none of us would never have any peace in our homes, and us men would miss out on a LOT of very wise advice.

This is why the rabbis go out of their way to state the principle that legal rulings cannot be derived from stories--there is no way to tell how the story should be applied, based on just reading the text.

Mishkan, by saying that Abram did not follow the explicit word of the L-RD, it sounds to me as if you are accusing him of sinning (please explain how I may be wrong). Yet, HaShem, tells his son that he did follow all of his commandments, statutes, and Law (Torah) in fact this is the only place in the whole of Genesis where the Torah is mentioned.

Genesis 26: 4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky, I will give all these lands to your descendants, and by your descendants all the nations of the earth will bless themselves. 5 All this is because Avraham heeded what I said and did what I told him to do -he followed my mitzvot, my regulations and my teachings." This shows that He was not as explicit as you are saying, that he did not specify that the promised child was to be from his first wife only, so therefore he did not sin, nor ignore the L-RD.

What you wrote is not the end of the story, in fact it isn't the story. This is what Adonai said to Abram.

1 Some time later the word of ADONAI came to Avram in a vision: "Don't be afraid, Avram. I am your protector; your reward will be very great." 2 Avram replied, "ADONAI, God, what good will your gifts be to me if I continue childless; and Eli'ezer from Dammesek inherits my possessions? 3 You haven't given me a child," Avram continued, "so someone born in my house will be my heir." 4 But the word of ADONAI came to him: "This man will not be your heir. No, your heir will be a child from your own body."
HaShem tells him the heir will come from his body, but he doesn't say anything about which woman. Sarai, as a good wife, and feeling as if she is preventing him from having the promise of the L-RD happen, offers her handmaid. Do you not understand how hard that was for her to do? Try looking at the sacrifice she made and not accuse her of keeping her husband from listening to the L-RD.

1 Now Sarai Avram's wife had not borne him a child. But she had an Egyptian slave-girl named Hagar; 2 so Sarai said to Avram, "Here now, ADONAI has kept me from having children; so go in and sleep with my slave-girl. Maybe I'll be able to have children through her."Avram listened to what Sarai said.
The L-RD certainly could have intervened and stopped him or he could have, knowing this would happen, tell him that it had to be Sarai, but he didn't not until later. When it came time to sent Hagar and Ishmael away, Abraham did not want this, but Adonai told him to listen to his wife. If he could tell him to listen to her, he certainly could have told him not to listen to her before.

17:15 God said to Avraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are not to call her Sarai [mockery]; her name is to be Sarah [princess]. 16 I will bless her; moreover, I will give you a son by her. Truly I will bless her: she will be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." 17 At this Avraham fell on his face and laughed - he thought to himself, "Will a child be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah give birth at ninety?" 18 Avraham said to God, "If only Yishma'el could live in your presence!" 19 God answered, "No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you are to call him Yitz'chak [laughter]. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.
21:1 ADONAI remembered Sarah as he had said, and ADONAI did for Sarah what he had promised. 2 Sarah conceived and bore Avraham a son in his old age, at the very time God had said to him. 3 Avraham called his son, born to him, whom Sarah bore to him, Yitz'chak.
Yitz'chak is born, but his brother is not treating him well.

8 The child grew and was weaned, and Avraham gave a great banquet on the day that Yitz'chak was weaned. 9 But Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom Hagar had borne to Avraham, making fun of Yitz'chak; 10 so Sarah said to Avraham, "Throw this slave-girl out! And her son! I will not have this slave-girl's son as your heir along with my son Yitz'chak!"

11 Avraham became very distressed over this matter of his son.

12 But God said to Avraham, "Don't be distressed because of the boy and your slave-girl. Listen to everything Sarah says to you, because it is your descendants through Yitz'chak who will be counted.

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does that, from your interruptation, relate to what Paul mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11:3?
"Interruptation"??? LOL! I love it! There are some interesting implications in that typo, my friend. ;)

First Corinthians 11 is, indeed, discussing order in the assembly/synagogue service. I find it pretty self-explanatory.

Curious as to how it can not be offensive to some women, if that is possible,
I can't tell you--I'm not a woman.

I suppose. God loves us all very much and glorifies all good things, regardless of how much mankind has distorted the differences.
Absolutely.

Kind of a touchy subject, but doesn't necessarily need to be that touchy.
I don't make a hard-and-fast rule about these sorts of things. I observe that the trend of Biblical examples is male leadership... with some exceptions. Paul advocated male leadership in the Messianic community... with some exceptions.

My take is that the pattern should be male leadership. But that doesn't automatically guarantee accurate teaching or good leadership, either. So, I just go according to the examples we are given, and try to do what is best for the entire congregation at any given time.

Thank you for your response and God bless.
Same to you, Guy. :wave:

Upvote 0

mishkan

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mishkan, by saying that Abram did not follow the explicit word of the L-RD, it sounds to me as if you are accusing him of sinning (please explain how I may be wrong).
He did... in this instance. There is not a sinless human being on the planet. Yeshua is the only one we are told kept every applicable commandment all the time.

Yet, HaShem, tells his son that he did follow all of his commandments, statutes, and Law (Torah) in fact this is the only place in the whole of Genesis where the Torah is mentioned.
Agreed. Abraham was a Torah keeper. You're right. But in this one instance, at least, he failed to follow an instruction. It's a pretty major deal, too, considering what it has led to in modern times.

Genesis 26: 4 I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky, I will give all these lands to your descendants, and by your descendants all the nations of the earth will bless themselves. 5 All this is because Avraham heeded what I said and did what I told him to do -he followed my mitzvot, my regulations and my teachings."

This shows that He was not as explicit as you are saying, that he did not specify that the promised child was to be from his first wife only, so therefore he did not sin, nor ignore the L-RD.
You don't like my assessment of what happened between Abraham and Sarah? Would you prefer I draw the conclusion that no man should ever follow a female's advice, as was suggested? I really don't understand the point of your concern.

What you wrote is not the end of the story, in fact it isn't the story. This is what Adonai said to Abram.
What I meant by, "End of story", was that there is no further clarification regarding whether this interaction could possibly be used to justify male domination forever thereafter.

HaShem tells him the heir will come from his body, but he doesn't say anything about which woman. Sarai, as a good wife, and feeling as if she is preventing him from having the promise of the L-RD happen, offers her handmaid. Do you not understand how hard that was for her to do? Try looking at the sacrifice she made and not accuse her of keeping her husband from listening to the L-RD.
He took her advice. The result was disastrous. I really don't know how anybody's feelings have anything to do with the analysis of the situation. Especially in light of the fact that the passage was referenced only because it is sometimes used to justify subjugating females. That was the question I was addressing. Not Sarah's personal angst while going through the situation.

The L-RD certainly could have intervened and stopped him or he could have, knowing this would happen, tell him that it had to be Sarai, but he didn't not until later. When it came time to sent Hagar and Ishmael away, Abraham did not want this, but Adonai told him to listen to his wife. If he could tell him to listen to her, he certainly could have told him not to listen to her before.
What's the saying? "Would uv, could uv, should uv"? All I did was observe what the text actually says. I didn't speculate on anything, to the best of my knowledge. How is my observation flawed? And what lesson would you draw from the situation, regarding male leadership?

Yitz'chak is born, but his brother is not treating him well.
Indeed.

Upvote 0