Visit site
✟1,505,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just can't find the word "trinity" in scripture.
Jesus is not God made flesh, He is the Word made flesh. (John 1:14)

What statements?

What view?

If you can't provide the "boxed" items you respond to, it isn't a conversation anymore.

The statements of yours that I was responding to are in the post; you can follow the conversation if you choose to.

As to the first comment here... are you refuting the Trinity? Because that is not permitted by Christians on CF, and certainly not in this forum.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I would say if you are coming from a place where you do not know the history between me and the other member it would be an error for you to try and make a judgement call as you have only seen a part of it and not the whole history.

How can you make an assessment of something if you only seen one part of it and not all of it?
Oh, so her behavior, and yours, on this thread is markedly different than it is on other threads? Then I would expect you would have complimented her on the drastic improvement she’s made!

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The statements of yours that I was responding to are in the post; you can follow the conversation if you choose to.
If you feel it unnecessary to politely supply a posters words, then how are other readers going to follow along?
Some of these posts are very long, and without some continuity are just gibberish, especially if one needs to go back to another page to relocate it..

As to the first comment here... are you refuting the Trinity? Because that is not permitted by Christians on CF, and certainly not in this forum.
I merely stated that the word "trinity" is not in scripture.
I refute nothing.

Reactions: Daniel C
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,027.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your Athanasian creed is apparently not of God.
The Son is not coequal with the Father. Not yet. (1 Cor 15:28)
The church is not coequal with the Son.
Woman is not coequal with man.
The wife is not coequal with the husband.

Each have their role to fulfill.

You posted this suggesting that the Athansian Creed was the property in some way of @Paidiske although it remains one of the three creeds generally accepted in the west. I acknowledge that my brothers and sisters in the East recognise no creed beyond the Nicene symbol.

The Athanasian Creed reads:

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith.
Which faith unless every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly.
And the catholic faith is this: that we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;
neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Essence.
For there is one Person of the Father; another of the Son; and another of the Holy Ghost.
But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, is all one;
the Glory equal, the Majesty coeternal.
Such as the Father is; such is the Son; and such is the Holy Ghost.
The Father uncreated; the Son uncreated; and the Holy Ghost uncreated.
The Father unlimited; the Son unlimited; and the Holy Ghost unlimited.
The Father eternal; the Son eternal; and the Holy Ghost eternal.
And yet they are not three eternals; but one eternal.
As also there are not three uncreated; nor three infinites, but one uncreated; and one infinite.
So likewise the Father is Almighty; the Son Almighty; and the Holy Ghost Almighty.
And yet they are not three Almighties; but one Almighty.
So the Father is God; the Son is God; and the Holy Ghost is God.
And yet they are not three Gods; but one God.
So likewise the Father is Lord; the Son Lord; and the Holy Ghost Lord.
And yet not three Lords; but one Lord.
For like as we are compelled by the Christian verity;
to acknowledge every Person by himself to be God and Lord;
So are we forbidden by the catholic religion;
to say, There are three Gods, or three Lords.
The Father is made of none; neither created, nor begotten.
The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created; but begotten.
The Holy Ghost is of the Father and of the Son; neither made, nor created, nor begotten; but proceeding.
So there is one Father, not three Fathers;
one Son, not three Sons;
one Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.
And in this Trinity none is before, or after another;
none is greater, or less than another.
But the whole three Persons are coeternal, and coequal.
So that in all things, as aforesaid;
the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped.
He therefore that will be saved, let him thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting salvation;
that he also believe faithfully the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess;
that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man;
God, of the Substance [Essence] of the Father;
begotten before the worlds; and Man, of the Substance [Essence] of his Mother, born in the world.
Perfect God; and perfect Man, of a reasonable soul and human flesh subsisting.
Equal to the Father, as touching his Godhead;
and inferior to the Father as touching his Manhood.
Who although he is God and Man; yet he is not two, but one Christ.
One; not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh;
but by assumption of the Manhood into God.
One altogether; not by confusion of Substance [Essence]; but by unity of Person.
For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one man;
so God and Man is one Christ;
Who suffered for our salvation;
descended into hell;
rose again the third day from the dead.
He ascended into heaven,
he sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
from whence he will come to judge the living and the dead.
At whose coming all men will rise again with their bodies;
And shall give account for their own works.
And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting;
and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire.
This is the catholic faith; which except a man believe truly and firmly, he cannot be saved.

The origins of the statement of faith are a little unclear, but almost certainly not the work of Athanasius, and has been suggested that it was initially devised as a teaching tool perhaps sung by a choir, and I would clearly acknowledge in the current age it is too cumbersome and wordy for liturgical use. I would share a concern with my brother and sisters from the east over the inclusion of the filioque, but in the main it is a solid expression of Nicene Theology and Chalcedonian Christology. It was written in Latin (not Greek)

The reformation churches in the main to be best of my knowledge did not take issue with either Nicene Theology nor Chalcedonian Christology, but rather embraced it, and whilst they may not have made a big thing of it, I think in the main accepted the Athanasian Creed. That is certainly the case for Anglicans and churches stemming from that root.

The word Trinity has been used in Christian circles from early days, and certainly from 325 essentially distinguishes Christianity from a number of other faith positions. That the word Trinity does not appear in the Bible is not a question, it does not, however the essence of the understanding of Trinity is Biblical from the beginning where the Spirit Hovered over the Waters and the Word of God went forth from God to proclaim 'Let there be Light'.

And still here today with God our Father we pray, Let there be light.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:scratch: :eek: Seriously??
You have been arguing about the issue of women preachers which, although important, cannot save us, condemn us or cause us to lose eternal life; you have been demanding Scripture for this, relatively unimportant issue, yet you deny a major doctrine of the Christian faith, for which there is much Scripture??

Jesus is the eternal Word who was with God in the beginning:
John 1:1-2
John 1:14
John 17:5
Colossians 1:17
Hebrews 1:2-3
1 John 1:1-2
Revelation 1:18.

Consider also:
Genesis 1:26 - God said "let US make man in OUR image".
Genesis 11:7 - "Come, let US go down and confuse their language".
The Hebrew name of God used here is, I'm told, in its plural form.
Isaiah 6:8 - " .... who will go for US?"

Jesus was God. He was nearly stoned by the Jews for claiming to be God, John 8:58-59, John 10:32-33 and was put on trial, accused of blasphemy, Matthew 26:65. He was given the human name Jesus when he was born as a baby, but He, God the Son and Word, existed before the world began.

Why are you arguing about a minor teaching when you seem to reject what is probably the most important doctrine of the faith?
As it is forbidden for women to teach men, I would be complicit in your error if I thought it possible for you to teach me.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As it is forbidden for women to teach men, I would be complicit in your error if I thought it possible for you to teach me.

That's one way of saying that you can't answer the question.

I was quoting Scriptures and asking if you believe them. If you're not going to answer, I will assume not.
There is no point in debating a minor Scriptural issue with someone who denies a major Christian doctrine. Jesus, the human, was born at a particular time; but Jesus, the human, was also the Word who was with the Father in the beginning.
I have no interest in getting this thread back on topic, so I'll leave you.

Upvote 0