Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So new testament times ... there are 4 confirmed female prophets nearby. How did they know they were prophets if their words were never recorded? Oh a guy said it so it must be true ... bla bla bla

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So new testament times ... there are 4 confirmed female prophets nearby. How did they know they were prophets if their words were never recorded? Oh a guy said it so it must be true ... bla bla bla

Probably because their words came to pass? Gift of prophecy wasn't subject to sex.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Probably because their words came to pass? Gift of prophecy wasn't subject to sex.
Why bother recording they were prophets at all then? Perhaps it was just a more definitive intro to which person they were supposed to be daughters of ... anyway of no importance ... carry on

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
My personal belief as a woman is that for a woman to preach to men is wrong not because I don't think she can't be knowledgeable or have wisdom of the Word of God, but rather men could have lusts and desires for her. Personally, if a woman wants to become a Pastoress (is that even a word?) she should just teach women. A pastor's wife is always important to me when I go to church. I tend to want to encourage them to make classes and discuss Christianity from a woman's point of view and to have studied God with her husband.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So then how come the other disciples didn't name them, nor consider Mary Magdalene as one? According to at least three of them, there were 12 and I don't see any females in the list (Matthew 10:1-4; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 6:12-16)

is this a punishment for original sin

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
in my opinion, women being banned from pastoring men bibically is not a punishment for original sin, not because God had to pick one gender to pastor all and used Eden as a template, but our guilt in our first parents and the cirumstances of original sin makes it inappropriate.

I dont think women are more prone to deception, so that isnt a reason, but I also read the enemy chose eve due to women being more gentle and tender of heart.
I'm reminded of Deborah the Judge in the old testament. I'd personally like to see more female pastors Sam. It's true that Eve was seduced first. But any born-again saint baptized by the Holy Spirit is qualified and equipped for the ministry (they've been set free from their sinful nature and are no longer like either Eve or Adam). Peace in Christ brother :).

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe God established gendered hierarchies in the family and the church. When possible, they should be followed. But these structures become impractical if followed legalistically. Just as love trumps personal liberty, love also trumps hierarchical structures.

what is your view on this article? The Sin of Women Preachers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what is your view on this article? The Sin of Women Preachers!

It sounds legalistic. The issue isn't feminism. The issue is "postmodern" feminism. We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm for idealism, not legalism. Sometimes love requires us to make exceptions. This is why Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It sounds legalistic. The issue isn't feminism. The issue is "postmodern" feminism. We must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm for idealism, not legalism. Sometimes love requires us to make exceptions. This is why Jesus healed on the Sabbath.
I think Jesus healed on the Sabbath because He is Lord of the Sabbath wasn't it?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

So it isn't a safety risk at all with regards to deception when women teach other women and little children, the most spiritually naive among us? That's a rhetorical question.

That is what I find fascinating about this issue of why certain actions are forbidden for women bibically.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So it isn't a safety risk at all with regards to deception when women teach other women and little children, the most spiritually naive among us? That's a rhetorical question.

That is what I find fascinating about this issue of why certain actions are forbidden for women bibically.

I can't make the Bible say something different. However, if I had to justify this hierarchical ideal, I'd say it has more to do with order, peace, and authority rather than ability. Just look at the Trinity. The Father has authority over the Son. Does this mean the Son couldn't do just as good? Does this mean they are not equal?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So then how come the other disciples didn't name them, nor consider Mary Magdalene as one? According to at least three of them, there were 12 and I don't see any females in the list (Matthew 10:1-4; Mark 3:13-19; Luke 6:12-16)

how would you respond to people who comment on women not writing the Bible?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
regarding women pastors being unbibical, what other situations does this principle apply to?

I'm not saying that having women pastors is a sin, but based on how women are set to be submissive to the head as the church is submissive to Christ, I wouldn't jump to put a female on that authority. If it happens, then fine, I wouldn't knock it. But I'm not gonna totally ignore the fact that its part of womanhood.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in my opinion, women being banned from pastoring men bibically is not a punishment for original sin, not because God had to pick one gender to pastor all and used Eden as a template, but our guilt in our first parents and the cirumstances of original sin makes it inappropriate.

I dont think women are more prone to deception, so that isnt a reason, but I also read the enemy chose eve due to women being more gentle and tender of heart.

1 Timothy 2:11-15

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety

These are some of the most hated words in scripture. Yet they are inspired by the same Holy Spirit who caused John to write that God is love. There is no mistaking what Paul is saying here: He doesn't allow women to teach or be in authority over a man. He gives two reasons for this: One, that Adam was formed first, and two that Eve was the one deceived and not Adam.

That isn't politically correct, and it's sad that this is the lens we view this through, rather than what Paul is saying here. He isn't a bigot; didn't he write that there is no male or female in Christ? He doesn't think women are less than men in Christ. He is writing this for the reasons he gave, and they are significant and weighty reasons which have great implications for the way the church does ministry in the world. To ignore them is a sin, and it will have consequences.

Upvote 0