✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html

The Word of God proclaims, “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent” (1 Timothy 2:11–12). In the church, God assigns different roles to men and women. This is a result of the way mankind was created and the way in which sin entered the world (1 Timothy 2:13–14). God, through the apostle Paul, restricts women from serving in roles of teaching and/or having spiritual authority over men. This precludes women from serving as pastors over men, which definitely includes preaching to them, teaching them publicly, and exercising spiritual authority over them.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it would be more relevant for you if I asked how you are about women being head of household.

Equal leadership will do just fine. But if you must know, a lot of women already head the household and I'm not kidding! It's not really that bad....there's just a lot more pressure to not make mistakes!

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yeah sure why not? it's not like I read the bible in a childish literal sense due to me no longer knowing Christ according to the flesh. though for the record I am not a churchite. those who read the bible in such a strict literal sense are already disqualified from teaching and they are the very women that ought to be quite and listen to Gods angels and those authorities he freely sends to us.

if there is neither male nor female but a new creation in Christ then we ought to see the condition of a persons soul and being rather than the mere outer appearance. funny enough the "neither male nor female" is an expression of a spiritual experience and it is only properly fulfilled when you see it as such. it is not only a legalistic thing we are to obey, it is a living reality.

you can't fulfill the law in the flesh. God purposefully put too many contradictions in it. although peoples perception/freedom will always give room for error or for more truth. it depends on who you listen to in the spiritual realm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Paul stated
I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent
Sounds like a personal opinion to me. Not a commandment from God. Since he was a Pharisee his opinion is understandable but not scripturally enforceable. Not everything that Paul said should not be taken as commandments from God.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Paul stated
I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent
Sounds like a personal opinion to me. Not a commandment from God. Since he was a Pharisee his opinion is understandable but not scripturally enforceable. Not everything that Paul said should not be taken as commandments from God.

Glad to see someone's thinking!

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Catholic, and I always said that if I felt a call from God to become a deacon or a priest, I would not hesitate in switching to a denomination that would honor that calling.

Ultimately, that's not why I left, though I am interested in becoming a UU minister.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am Catholic

for us, being a Priest is not just a job, it is a vocation, it is a calling in life

part of it is in the theology behind the very idea of "the Church"
Christ is the Bridegroom and the Church is His Bride

Revelation 19:7-9 - Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

John 3:29 He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom's voice So this joy of mine has been made full.

ok so Christ is a man, He is the Bridegroom and the Church is the Bride
so what?
lol I mean that has deep theology behind it, great spiritual stuff
but what does that have to do with Women becoming Pastors?

Ok please bare with me, because I know this is going to sound weird, and I encourage you to try and learn more about this on your own rather then just take my word for it

the Priest acts in the "person of Christ" when he forgives sins and celebrates the Mass (which is connected in a real way to the one Sacrifice on Calvary)

I know some of you are screaming "acts in the person of Christ? that sounds like they are replacing Christ with a mere man!"

read 2 Corinthians 2:10
To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ

that is not some tricky Catholic Bible.... that is the King James Bible
now a lot of modern translations say "in the power of Christ" or "in the authority of Christ" or just "in the name of Christ"

go back to the Greek
normally I am not a big fan of the idea that you have to know Greek to understand theology
I try to use as little Greek and Latin as I can because I think it sounds elitist and it scares away folks who are new Christians

but this is a term that has been translated many ways in many different Bibles, so since there seems to be some controversy about what is the better translation, go to the Greek, there are a lot of milder terms that could have been used. Like I said, do not trust me, look up some trusted sources on Greek words, see how early Christians translated this verse

so the Priest acts in the Person of Christ, and Christ is the Bridegroom to the Church
so to be a groom, you kinda have to be a man

this is for Catholic theology that has the idea of a Priesthood that acts "In Persona Christi" and an idea that the Priesthood is a vocation, not just a job where all that matters is being qualified (though being qualified is important, that is not all that matters)

that is just for the Catholic Church, several Popes have talked about this
what other denominations do is not any of my business

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fine but I know some men dont like it.
As long as she is a devoted to the Lord its good especially with other women but men actually need another male to be pastoring them thats why most churches have male pastors. Its because men dont really listen to women speak.its not because we are inferior its just men can be a bit deaf or thick and males are louder!!
With children there isnt too much issue but it seems like theres more female teachers than male in primary schools, however, principals tend to be male. In high schools there tends to be more male teachers. Most teachers also have a pastoral role in that they are looking after a flock. But I know theres dedicated pastoral staff in certain schools, and its really who is best for that flock rather than if they are male or female.

The sheep listen to the shepherds voice, to another they will,not hear, and that shepherd has to show that they truly care for their sheep and would lay down their life for them.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I can write pages on this topic. But I will keep this short. There is actually 2 questions here:

1) Can women be a pastor of children ministry, pastor of homeless support, etc?
2) Can women be head pastor of a church?

We see in the examples of Judge Deborah that God did commend her to lead men. And we see in the example of Mary Magdalene that Jesus himself commend her to teach men about his resurrection.

At the same time there are passages in the bible that seems to say that women cannot lead men.

So how does all this reconcile?

One way is that these passages were only talking to that specific group of women in that specific city. If that's the view, then women today can be head pastor or anything else in churches. This view is very liberal and I am not sure I agree.

Another way is that women should not become the ultimate leader of a church. Women are allowed to teach children and other women. So if there is a children's ministry or a women's ministry, certainly go ahead and hire a female pastor if it is fitting. And females are allowed to speak in front of the whole church on occasion. But even then, a woman cannot be the ultimate leader of a church. Just as a husband is designed to be the head of a household, a male pastor is designed to be the head of a church.

Even Deborah didn't lord over Barak.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
So how does all this reconcile?

One way is that these passages were only talking to that specific group of women in that specific city. If that's the view, then women today can be head pastor or anything else in churches. This view is very liberal and I am not sure I agree.

Another way is that women should not become the ultimate leader of a church. Women are allowed to teach children and other women. So if there is a children's ministry or a women's ministry, certainly go ahead and hire a female pastor if it is fitting. And females are allowed to speak in front of the whole church on occasion. But even then, a woman cannot be the ultimate leader of a church. Just as a husband is designed to be the head of a household, a male pastor is designed to be the head of a church.
Well those statements do not really reconcile anything. LOL. o_O

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html

The Word of God proclaims, “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent” (1 Timothy 2:11–12). In the church, God assigns different roles to men and women. This is a result of the way mankind was created and the way in which sin entered the world (1 Timothy 2:13–14). God, through the apostle Paul, restricts women from serving in roles of teaching and/or having spiritual authority over men. This precludes women from serving as pastors over men, which definitely includes preaching to them, teaching them publicly, and exercising spiritual authority over them.
This. Very much, this.
Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
Sigh... :(
Paul stated
He was not a Pharisee when he wrote the Letters. He was changed in Christ, he detested his past and counted it all as loss. Paul had authority through the Holy Spirit, and the letters were written so the church could gain doctrine not only back then but for the future generations. That's one of the main purposes of the letters, doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:16

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Paul stated

It's also argued that the no women preaching was more a cultural thing due to how common priestesses were in the Roman religion, or like you said, how women were valued in Judaism, but it's also possible to be some combination of both. Regardless, I agree that it's a commandment that I believe no longer applies to us today.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
That's one of the main purposes of the letters, doctrine. 2 Timothy 3:16
Except when he wrote that phrase in 2 Timothy, scripture was not his letters to the various churches. Man made them scripture. Please do not give us a lecture on why his letters were made scripture. I have heard them all. As far as I am concerned there are Christians out there who should be called Paulians. Some totally ignore what Jesus did or did not say and go with what Paul said.
Men have subjugated women for centuries. What Paul wrote just gave Christian men a reason to keep subjugating women. And they love it. Again he said I do not permit. Not God will not permit. Men are the ones who have decided Paul was speaking for God when he wrote that statement.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0