Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It would be nice if God and His Word fit our every opinion but that would lead to chaos...God intended for us to be conformed to Him and His Word not the other way around. His Word is clear on the roles of men and women in the home and in the church.

Just because you think it is odd or unfair doesn't make it wrong. Keep in mind God knows best and we all do better when we rest in that, even when we don't understand His reasons.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's easy to say. But the fact is that the Bible has been used to justify a lot of philosophies both good and bad.

I think that both sides often use the Bible to justify unbiblical or at least dubious philosophies. That's why I question the Bible - in light of the context in which it was written.
Ringo

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How about this, Pray and ask God to open your eyes, ears, and heart to His truth and help you set aside your preconceived ideas?

Just because others have twisted the Word doesn't give us the right too. Take it at face value and then look at corresponding verses and the priginal text and meaning.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Take it at face value and then look at corresponding verses and the priginal text and meaning.

I have been looking at the meaning. I'm still not convinced.

And the only "preconceived notion" that I have is that women are politically equal to men. And they should be in the ministry also.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been looking at the meaning. I'm still not convinced.

And the only "preconceived notion" that I have is that women are politically equal to men. And they should be in the ministry also.
Ringo

Politics and Religion are differant.

Politics is Godless, Religion is not.

(I say that as someone who has a desire to run for office)

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
ministry? yes. We see Prisca mentioned. We know women can be used mightily by God, but it is clear that they can not have those authoritative roles...no matter how bad you want it to be otherwise. They can do anything but be head of the house or head of the church.

Upvote 0

MbiaJc

Veteran
Jul 9, 2004
Bowdon, Ga.
✟2,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why not? Both are unbiblical and ought to be shunned without compromise by saying "one is better than the other." I don't think you're saying this, but it can be extrapolated from what your saying and does lend a little credance to the other position.

That right both are unbiblical, however this one man pastoral authority is unbiblical also.

:wave: I am in no way taking up for women and gay ministers. :wave:

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That right both are unbiblical, however this one man pastoral authority is unbiblical also.

:wave: I am in no way taking up for women and gay ministers. :wave:

I agree with that. I think the plurality of elders is far closer to the intended form of church government than what we usually see today and the idea of a single man having all authority is dangerous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacobHall86

Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe he may be refering to those churches that turn over all authority to a single person, the pastor

Yea, I know that, I want to know what is unBiblical about it?

I know of an awesome church in this area that is like that.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yea, I know that, I want to know what is unBiblical about it?

I know of an awesome church in this area that is like that.

Well is there an excample of that in the Bible?

We have no pastor, we have 3 elders (small church) and one of them has the duty (paid position) of fulltime preaching elder. Our youth leader is part time and paid. They are the spiritual leaders. We then have a couple of deacons for day to day business (building and grounds, finances).

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well is there an excample of that in the Bible?

We have no pastor, we have 3 elders (small church) and one of them has the duty (paid position) of fulltime preaching elder. Our youth leader is part time and paid. They are the spiritual leaders. We then have a couple of deacons for day to day business (building and grounds, finances).

James.
Timothy.
Titus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems to me that multiple elders was the norm.

Act 14:23
and having appointed to them by vote elders in every assembly, having prayed with fastings, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Act 15:1 And certain having come down from Judea, were teaching the brethren--`If ye be not circumcised after the custom of Moses, ye are not able to be saved;'
Act 15:2 there having been, therefore, not a little dissension and disputation to Paul and Barnabas with them, they arranged for Paul and Barnabas, and certain others of them, to go up unto the apostles and elders to Jerusalem about this question,
Act 15:3 they indeed, then, having been sent forward by the assembly, were passing through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the nations, and they were causing great joy to all the brethren.

Jam 5:14 is any infirm among you? let him call for the elders of the assembly, and let them pray over him, having anointed him with oil, in the name of the Lord,

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Definition of deacon, deacons, and elder according to Strongs

G1247
διακονέω
diakoneō
dee-ak-on-eh'-o
From G1249; to be an attendant, that is, wait upon (menially or as a host, friend or [figuratively] teacher); technically to act as a Christian deacon: - (ad-) minister (unto), serve, use the office of a deacon.

G4244
πρεσβυτέριον
presbuterion
pres-boo-ter'-ee-on
Neuter of a presumed derivative of G4245; the order of elders, that is, (specifically) Israelite Sanhedrim or Christian "presbytery": - (estate of) elder(-s), presbytery.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont know of any right off hand, but I dont believe there is scripture saying that they shared authority with any other man.
Doesn't mean they can't.
Ringo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.