United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reclaiming the Reverence for the Eucharist in First Corinthians

Recently I was asked by Lily Wilson, the founder of the Veils by Lily store, what the Holy Spirit might be saying regarding the growing movement of women choosing to wear a veil at Mass. After pondering this for a few moments, I saw a connection between this phenomenon and the Eucharistic Revival initiative from the U.S. bishops.

I started veiling for worship while I was still a “separated” (non-Catholic) Christian because I was (and still am!) interested in obeying St. Paul’s instruction to “any woman who prays or prophesies” (1 Corinthians 11:5). I know people interpret this differently, but from early Christian writings it seems there was a universal consensus that women would wear some type of head covering *at least* for public worship (if not more often).

Continued below.
Women, Let's Veil for the Eucharistic Revival

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Reclaiming the Reverence for the Eucharist in First Corinthians

Recently I was asked by Lily Wilson, the founder of the Veils by Lily store, what the Holy Spirit might be saying regarding the growing movement of women choosing to wear a veil at Mass. After pondering this for a few moments, I saw a connection between this phenomenon and the Eucharistic Revival initiative from the U.S. bishops.

I started veiling for worship while I was still a “separated” (non-Catholic) Christian because I was (and still am!) interested in obeying St. Paul’s instruction to “any woman who prays or prophesies” (1 Corinthians 11:5). I know people interpret this differently, but from early Christian writings it seems there was a universal consensus that women would wear some type of head covering *at least* for public worship (if not more often).

Continued below.
Women, Let's Veil for the Eucharistic Revival
Would you?

If I were a woman I think I already would be doing it. My wife does not share that opinion. Yet anyhow.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you?

If I were a woman I think I already would be doing it. My wife does not share that opinion. Yet anyhow.
I haven’t done it but admire those who do. For some reason the thought makes me feel embarrassed like I would be drawing attention to myself. I guess it would be different if more women in my Church did it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I haven’t done it but admire those who do. For some reason the thought makes me feel embarrassed like I would be drawing attention to myself. I guess it would be different if more women in my Church did it.
I could see the potential for embarrassment, thinking that everyone is thinking I'd be saying I'm holier than them. In my parish there are only two or three women at any given mass that veil, so a tiny fraction. So it's currently an oddity.

I wonder if it would be less embarrassing to veil at adoration, where there are less people to eyeball you.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟433,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I understand your feelings ... about being in the minority and not wanting to draw attention to yourself.

I am probably more comfortable with the idea because we girls/women ALL always wore chapel veils into church, when I was growing up in the 1950's/1960's. (It was what everybody did! :blush:)

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟433,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
p.s.
For those that weren't around back then (lol!), the article (below) briefly explains 'what happened to head coverings at Mass".

What Happened to Head Coverings at Mass? | Catholic Answers

And we did not wear them only at Mass. We wore them anytime when in the church.

Belief in the Real Presence was strongly emphasized and widely held.
Wearing a veil into the church was done as a sign of respect and honor to Our Lord.
That is how I was taught it.

We wore these kinds of veils back then ...

Vintage 1960s Round White Chapel Veil Catholic Original - Etsy

(Thanks for the trip today down Memory Lane:heart: ... :blush:)

Upvote 0