Women in Pulpit- Any Denomination

S

Samson 3

I thought I saw a runner..

Isa 30:8-17
Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever: That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD: Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits: Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon: Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
And he shall break it as the breaking of the potters' vessel that is broken in pieces; he shall not spare: so that there shall not be found in the bursting of it a sherd to take fire from the hearth, or to take water withal out of the pit. For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not. But ye said, No; for we will flee upon horses; therefore shall ye flee: and, We will ride upon the swift; therefore shall they that pursue you be swift. One thousand shall flee at the rebuke of one; at the rebuke of five shall ye flee: till ye be left as a beacon upon the top of a mountain, and as an ensign on an hill.

Paul_5, is that you?
Hi Zeena,sure,I thought I would wait and see when someone would notice. I had a big lightening storm last night and the PC kind of got messed up and I kept trying to get back on and when it was all over I ended up with a new name, not anything intentional.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Zeena,sure,I thought I would wait and see when someone would notice. I had a big lightening storm last night and the PC kind of got messed up and I kept trying to get back on and when it was all over I ended up with a new name, not anything intentional.
I recognised the rants! ^_^

Really though, if it's a NEW NAME, why not start anew?

We've been born again, not of flesh, but Spirit.
Let us walk by that Spirit. :priest:

There is no male or female in the Spirit..

Only Christ! :hug:

Upvote 0
S

Samson 3

I recognised the rants! ^_^

Really though, if it's a NEW NAME, why not start anew?

We've been born again, not of flesh, but Spirit.
Let us walk by that Spirit. :priest:

There is no male or female in the Spirit..

Only Christ! :hug:
You know,I have spent my life studying to find what God is saying to us through the scriptures, < staff edit > . Do you know what that scripture meant where Jesus spoke of the eye being single? It means that when we only want to know the will of God that our actions will reflect that,also when our eye is not single and we have other interests then our actions will reflect that. My only desire in regards to the question of male and female authority in the church is to find what God has actually said on the subject,therefore I have no agenda that would produce bias. Those who oppose me in this forum demonstrate a definate feminism bias,therefore their eye is not single because they are striving to produce their will through the scriptures rather then simply seeking the will of God. We have a clear statement of doctrine from Paul about men doing the leading in church in 1Cor14:34 and a cross reference in 1Tim 2:11, so the question is settled as far as God is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

2thePoint

Looking Up
May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It really is rude to change one's username and not say anything till someone "outs" you. But the arrogance is hard to miss: "I'm right and cannot be wrong, because I alone have studied the scriptures" is the message coming through. Never mind that lots of others study them too, many of us all our lives as well, and we're not all "born again yesterday". When even recognized and faithful Christian scholars disagree on something, it is only pride and conceit that says they all must be wrong and cannot be right.

We ALL want to know what God says, but you don't even want to find out whether what you personally think he says is accurate. You only want to keep fleshly pride. You seem afraid of the Greek and Hebrew, afraid of historical context, afraid of archaeological evidence, and afraid of women. Why else cling so tightly to male privilege, and ignore the basics of the faith such as humility and submission to all (Eph. 5:21)? Why else continually condescend to your sisters and brothers in Christ, precious souls for whom he died, and equal parts of the Body?

God will judge between us.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know,I have spent my life studying to find what God is saying to us through the scriptures, I feel badly for you and the others who are thinking like you are because you folks really are wrong.
Honestly, I could care less for your judgement, all that matters is that my Father is pleased with me. :hug: For really, what I could I give to God, but myself?

Do you know what that scripture meant where Jesus spoke of the eye being single? It means that when we only want to know the will of God that our actions will reflect that,also when our eye is not single and we have other interests then our actions will reflect that.
He meant that we aught to keep our focus on the Lord at all times, not on the world.

EYES ON JESUS, not EYES ON THE RUDIMENTS OF THIS WORLD. :blush:

My only desire in regards to the question of male and female authority in the church is to find what God has actually said on the subject, therefore I have no agenda that would produce bias.
Yes you do, for you are looking to His lips, rather than for His heart. :hug:

Those who oppose me in this forum demonstrate a definate feminism bias, therefore their eye is not single because they are striving to produce their will through the scriptures rather then simply seeking the will of God.
It's not the 'will of God' we are to seek, but rather, HIM! :clap:

We have a clear statement of doctrine from Paul about men doing the leading in church in 1Cor14:34 and a cross reference in 1Tim 2:11, so the question is settled as far as God is concerned.
These verses were more than amply responded to.

See below. :wave:

Upvote 0
S

Samson 3

It really is rude to change one's username and not say anything till someone "outs" you. But the arrogance is hard to miss: "I'm right and cannot be wrong, because I alone have studied the scriptures" is the message coming through. Never mind that lots of others study them too, many of us all our lives as well, and we're not all "born again yesterday". When even recognized and faithful Christian scholars disagree on something, it is only pride and conceit that says they all must be wrong and cannot be right.

We ALL want to know what God says, but you don't even want to find out whether what you personally think he says is accurate. You only want to keep fleshly pride. You seem afraid of the Greek and Hebrew, afraid of historical context, afraid of archaeological evidence, and afraid of women. Why else cling so tightly to male privilege, and ignore the basics of the faith such as humility and submission to all (Eph. 5:21)? Why else continually condescend to your sisters and brothers in Christ, precious souls for whom he died, and equal parts of the Body?

God will judge between us.
< staff edit > you have a lack of understanding of how to interpret the word of God. God is much greater then you think,the word of God is designed to expose the heart of an individual,whether that heart is truely the Lords or not. The word of God has given the unfaithful hearts just enough rope from the word of God for them to hang themselves. There is enough evidence,if taken out of context and manipulated, for you to feel justified in rejecting the clear in context instructions from God in 1Cor14:34&1Tim 2:11. There is no deep mysterious issue here that requires great historic background study and special knowledge of Greek words and imagined chat sessions by women in the Cor church. We have clear in context scripture in 1Cor14:34&1Tim2:11 that establishes church doctrine about male leadership in the church,to reject this is to reject God in that area of your life. If you want to reject God in that area of your life and then pretend that you are not rejecting God in that area of your life,then so be it,however you can never convince a child of God who is loyal to the word of God to agree with you...because you are wrong.

Upvote 0
S

Samson 3

If you are a Spirit indwelt believer(I will take your word for it because I really do not know) then you have been given exactly the same things that I have been given. You do recognize that even though we are all children of God,that God does pick some persons for particular positions and that other persons are not picked for those positions...as the Spirit wills? I knew early on that God had not called me to be a Pastor,I don't feel cheated at all because I know that God knows best. If God has spoken to us through His word that men are to lead in church then that should not offend women because God knows best.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is simple, Paul gave instructions about the praying and prophecy that was already taking place and then instructed that in a mixed group(church)the men were to do the speaking. The women could meet among themselves and pray and prophesy all day if they wanted,however in a mixed group(that would be the church)the males were to do the speaking.
Where do you get the idea Paul was talking about separate women's meetings where women could pray and prophesy all day? Or are you
using a "made up" situation in order to pervert the instructions of Paul into something that suits your agenda
Paul gave the instruction on men and women praying and prophesying between two discussions on the Lord's supper, one in chapter 10 the second at the end of chapter 11. He starts off chapter 11 just before he starts talking about headship and women prophesying by commending them. 1Cor 11:2 Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions [paradosis from paradidomi] even as I delivered [paradidomi]them to you. What tradition is he talking about? He picks up the verb paradidomi again in verse 23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered [paradidomi]to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread...

So back in verse 2, just before he digressed into headship head covering and women praying and prophesying, he was talking about the Lord's Supper and them holding on to the formula he had passed. Paul isn't discussing separate women's meetings, Paul talks about women prophesying in the middle of a discussion of the Lord's Supper. Notice how he ends his discussion on head covering and women prophesying? 1Cor 11:16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God. Women praying and prophesying was the practice of churches, of all the assemblies.

There were divisions in the Cor church,and they had made the Lord's supper into a time of feasting and drinking,and ONE MAN was living in sexual sin...that could still make the Cor more spiritual than 75% of the churches today. Paul was showing the Cor the difference between what God wanted them to do and what they were actually doing. Also, Paul gave instructions about speaking in the church,after giving those instructions,
No, he is still correcting serious problems in the church in chapter 15 1Cor 15:12 Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?

he then stated that women were to be silent in the church,the meaning is clear and in context,Paul wanted the men to do the leading and teaching in the church. There is a cross reference for that in 1Tim 11:2.
Where does Paul talk about men doing the leading and teaching in church? He doesn't say it in 1Tim 2:12 and he certainly doesn't say it in 1Cor 14. If you look at the context you would see Paul was still correcting problems in the church. 1Cor 14 is not simply giving an order of service, it is specifically designed to restore order the Corinthians' meetings. Part of the problem as we have see were the women chatting among themselves and asking questions about what was being said. But look at what Paul's ideal solution for the church would be. 1Cor 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. Paul wanted everyone in the church to speak in tongues and even more so for them all to prophesy (Like Moses in Num_11:29). 1Cor 14:23 If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all. Why was Paul talking about the whole church coming together and prophesying if he wanted women to be quiet and only prophesy in separate ladies meeting? Paul was talking about women prophesying in the church meeting here in chapter 14 just as he was in chapter 11. The only reference to women being quiet is when they were disrupting the meeting chatting and asking questions about what someone else had shared. There is nothing in this chapter about ministry being reserved for men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeInChrist

Jul 13, 2011
✟16,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How is that relevant? There is nothing in scripture to say women can teach in their homes but they cannot hold an official teaching office.

Well, again, here our understanding of how to consider context is different.

Explicity stated in Scripture I see Paul wishing everyone spoke in tongues and prophesied, decently and in order, I see him urging Christians to sing spiritual songs and hymns, etc., I see that there is no male and female in Christ, and I also see Paul saying he won't have women teaching men, and I also see in Acts 18:26, re: Apollos: "And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly." I see that there was some clarification done by Aquila and Priscilla; I don't see lots of details. I take various passages together, in their various contexts, and what I see is some people steering someone else to fill them in on some things, and I see in another part of Scripture that women shouldn't teach men, with reference to Eve being deceived by the serpent. I take it to have something to do with church issues, church order, and related to positions of authority, because it has to do with a pastoral epistle, and I take it to be more general of a principle since Paul connects the issue to Eve and the serpent.

Upvote 0

Exegetist

Nov 24, 2007
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know,I have spent my life studying to find what God is saying to us through the scriptures, < staff edit > . Do you know what that scripture meant where Jesus spoke of the eye being single? It means that when we only want to know the will of God that our actions will reflect that,also when our eye is not single and we have other interests then our actions will reflect that. My only desire in regards to the question of male and female authority in the church is to find what God has actually said on the subject,therefore I have no agenda that would produce bias. Those who oppose me in this forum demonstrate a definate feminism bias,therefore their eye is not single because they are striving to produce their will through the scriptures rather then simply seeking the will of God. We have a clear statement of doctrine from Paul about men doing the leading in church in 1Cor14:34 and a cross reference in 1Tim 2:11, so the question is settled as far as God is concerned.

I've spent 42 years studying and researching Scripture. My desire also is to only do what God wants and only teach what the Scriptures teach. My research in Scripture has come to the conclusion that Christ came to set all free who will believe in Him, to become fully mature as Christ.

You make judgements upon others that God does not make. These do not bolster or support your arguments. Instead of attacking those who disagree with you, support your conclusions with Scripture read in context. Understand the cultures of the times. Check the original languages. and so forth.

Upvote 0

Exegetist

Nov 24, 2007
✟7,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
< staff edit > . God is much greater then you think,the word of God is designed to expose the heart of an individual,whether that heart is truely the Lords or not.

< staff edit >
But that does nothing to prove your eisigesis of Scripture on this subject.

Upvote 0
S

Samson 3

I've spent 42 years studying and researching Scripture. My desire also is to only do what God wants and only teach what the Scriptures teach. My research in Scripture has come to the conclusion that Christ came to set all free who will believe in Him, to become fully mature as Christ.

You make judgements upon others that God does not make. These do not bolster or support your arguments. Instead of attacking those who disagree with you, support your conclusions with Scripture read in context. Understand the cultures of the times. Check the original languages. and so forth.
Your conclusion that Christ came to set all free does not disqualify the statements by Christ through Paul that 1Cor 34:14 Let your women keep silence in the churches for it is not permitted unto them to speak but to be UNDER OBEDIENCE as also says the law,for it is a shame for women to speak in the churches,the things that I write are the commandments of God, 1Tim 2:11 let the woman learn in silence WITH ALL SUBJECTION,but I suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man. Paul was teaching the Cor and Tim church doctrine that was actually given to him by Jesus Christ,so there really is NO WAY one can take a contrary position without opposing God! The test for a christian is do we follow Christ or the world...male leadership in the church is from Christ, western feminism is from the world...chose you this day who you will serve...I am going to serve the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Samson 3

I've already called you out on a 'literal' interpretation of Scripture. You've yet to respond. :blush:
LITERAL=following the ordinary or usual meaning of the words. Follow the ordinary or usual meaning of these words from God through Paul concerning church doctrine and see what they are saying to you. Let your women keep silence in the churches for it is not permitted unto them to speak but to be under obedience as also says the law for it is a shame for women to speak in church(1Cor34:14). Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection,but I suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man but to be in silence(1Tim2:11). At the very least this is telling us that a woman cannot be a Pastor of a church,one could carry it farther then that if one wanted to. In these places in scripture Paul was directly instructing the church on church doctrine,to ignor this and find where Paul called a christian lady a servant,and the name of an apostle that some are claiming could be feminine, as an excuse to void out clear concise church doctrine,is absurd to the lowest degree. If you were not personally involved, and in a neutral way were allowed to look at just the method being used to reject male leadership in the church(knowing only the method and not the issue),you would be appalled yourself!

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let your women keep silence in the churches for it is not permitted unto them to speak but to be under obedience as also says the law for it is a shame for women to speak in church(1Cor34:14).

And Paul, in an earlier part of the letter, informs how women are supposed to prophesy... which cannot be done if they just shut up. One cannot prophesy without words (unless Paul was instructing women to prophesy via pictionary....) 1 Cor 11:5 for reference.
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection,but I suffer not a woman to teach nor to usurp authority over the man but to be in silence(1Tim2:11). At the very least this is telling us that a woman cannot be a Pastor of a church,one could carry it farther then that if one wanted to. In these places in scripture Paul was directly instructing the church on church doctrine,to ignor this and find where Paul called a christian lady a servant,and the name of an apostle that some are claiming could be feminine, as an excuse to void out clear concise church doctrine,is absurd to the lowest degree.

Um, no. Notice, first of all, the word "let". Paul was instructing men to let women do something they were not yet allowed to do, at least until VERY recently... LEARN. So of course Paul doesn't want those women to teach... they have not yet learned enough to teach. AS for being in silence when learning... well that's just good behavior in general. Hard to learn if you're talking over the teacher after all.
These passages are not ignored by egalitarians. They are simply interpreted in proper context so that the true meaning is not warped by so-called literalism into something it is not and was never intended to be.

If women being in authority, God would NEVER make a woman be in authority as He did with Deborah (for example). One might argue that that was because no man would step up to the role he was assigned, but that doesn't negate the fact that God does not force people to sin, and so by His raising up a woman leader in ANY circumstance, it shows that a woman being in authority (in Deborah's case, religiously AND politically) is not sinful.

Also, the desire to preach God's word, whether in pulpit or street, can come from only one of two places, cosmically speaking: God or Satan. What does Satan gain when the Gospel of Jesus Christ is preached? Nothing. So why in the hell (pun half intended) would Satan want anyone, even a woman, to do that and "tempt" her into preaching God's Word? Either Satan is dumber than I thought, or God is bigger than some of us want Him to be.

Upvote 0

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT ON
This thread has undergone a major cleanup. Many posts have either been edited or removed due to the fact they were flaming, goading or quoted and responded to flaming/goading posts. If you find that your post(s) have been edited or removed it is for one of the reasons listed above. As a reminder Flaming/Goading other members or groups of members IS against Christian Forum rules. Also against the rules is responding to a flaming/goading post with a flame/goad. (2 wrongs does not make a right!)
Please take some time to review our Sitewide Rules, including, but not limited to:​

Flaming and Harassment
&#9679; Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
&#9679; If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
&#9679; Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.

&#9679; Those who do not adhere to the
Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.

&#9679; Do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes, making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
&#9679; Respect another member's request to cease personal contact.

First and foremost we should all remember that even though we may have differing opinions on some subjects if we have accepted God's grace, through His Son, Jesus, the Christ then we are all God's children and as such we should respect each other. Snide remarks and innuendos should have no place in our discussions.
God bless you all!!

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
S

Samson 3

And Paul, in an earlier part of the letter, informs how women are supposed to prophesy... which cannot be done if they just shut up. One cannot prophesy without words (unless Paul was instructing women to prophesy via pictionary....) 1 Cor 11:5 for reference.

Um, no. Notice, first of all, the word "let". Paul was instructing men to let women do something they were not yet allowed to do, at least until VERY recently... LEARN. So of course Paul doesn't want those women to teach... they have not yet learned enough to teach. AS for being in silence when learning... well that's just good behavior in general. Hard to learn if you're talking over the teacher after all.
These passages are not ignored by egalitarians. They are simply interpreted in proper context so that the true meaning is not warped by so-called literalism into something it is not and was never intended to be.

If women being in authority, God would NEVER make a woman be in authority as He did with Deborah (for example). One might argue that that was because no man would step up to the role he was assigned, but that doesn't negate the fact that God does not force people to sin, and so by His raising up a woman leader in ANY circumstance, it shows that a woman being in authority (in Deborah's case, religiously AND politically) is not sinful.

Also, the desire to preach God's word, whether in pulpit or street, can come from only one of two places, cosmically speaking: God or Satan. What does Satan gain when the Gospel of Jesus Christ is preached? Nothing. So why in the hell (pun half intended) would Satan want anyone, even a woman, to do that and "tempt" her into preaching God's Word? Either Satan is dumber than I thought, or God is bigger than some of us want Him to be.
I think it was Phillip that had seven daughters that prophecied. This is just my opinion here,I think women can preach,teach,prophesy,start a church,pray for the sick,whatever, however I do not believe a woman should ever try to be a Pastor of a church since that is a definite position of authority over men in the church,something that Paul said was not the will of God.

Upvote 0