Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I remember a while back there was a thread about how a woman was handcuffed while giving birth...
Well, it seems Florida has made sure that never happens again in their state. See #5. Human dignity for all!
5. Florida: A law forbids the shackling of women incarcerated during a pregnancy and immediately after giving birth.
July 1 brings new, sometimes quirky laws - CNN.com

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
15. Virginia: A law allows a concealed handgun permit as a valid form of identification when voting.

And in the meantime Texas, I believe, wants to outlaw the use of college ID's as identification in voting?

College ID's always have recent photos.

We should have uniform standards of acceptable forms of identification.

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
And in the meantime Texas, I believe, wants to outlaw the use of college ID's as identification in voting?

College ID's always have recent photos.

We should have uniform standards of acceptable forms of identification.

But college IDs are also very easily forged.

"I lost my ID!" always happens toward the end, right before graduation, so that you can have a fresh one to take to the movie theater (which, of course, gives lots of discounts). Not that I would ever do such a thing now that I've graduated.... :holy:

But yeah, how many people want a copy of my student ID?

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

Somehow college IDs (which as someone who has worked the door at a nightclub. I can assure you that they are very easily forged, and do not include a birthdate, and also that college admission requires a state issued ID in the first place--are NOT good enough to use as ID to get into a bar, so certainly NOT good enough to use for voting purposes...holy run on incoherent tangential thought, batman!).....and women being shackled during birth do NOT seem like they involve the same level of basic human dignity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What if a woman WANTS to be shackled during birth? Isn't that her right since its her body? (this works for other "choices" :doh:)

sorry... not to side track... :sorry:

Not if she is a prisoner, that is one of the major points of incarceration lack of autonomy.

I'm not saying laboring prisoners should be shacked except in very special circumstances. When I care for prisoners as an RN in a community hospital they are shackled on a case by case basis, but then I don't work in OB.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Somehow college IDs (which as someone who has worked the door at a nightclub. I can assure you that they are very easily forged, and do not include a birthdate, and also that college admission requires a state issued ID in the first place--are NOT good enough to use as ID to get into a bar, so certainly NOT good enough to use for voting purposes...holy run on incoherent tangential thought, batman!).....and women being shackled during birth do NOT seem like they involve the same level of basic human dignity.
When I said "human dignity for all!" I was referring only to the Florida law I quoted. I did not mean "for all" to be equated with all the laws on the list of link.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not if she is a prisoner, that is one of the major points of incarceration lack of autonomy.

I'm not saying laboring prisoners should be shacked except in very special circumstances. When I care for prisoners as an RN in a community hospital they are shackled on a case by case basis, but then I don't work in OB.
I'm not trained in medicine nor do I have a real grasp and the dangers of giving birth...but I would guess a woman in labor would either have difficulty running out of the doctor's office in the prison and/or that shackling them would pose a serious risk for personal injury to the woman while giving birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I highly doubt while a woman is inlabor that she poses a threat...however; some get pretty rancorous. If she is a prisoner and a pretty tough one - i dont know.

But the lady who was shackled - was an illegal alien - and didnt seem like a threat. Shackled while in labor - with all that pain - seems counter intuitive of the actual situation.

Upvote 0