MJ Only women and torah-how do you dress today?

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shalom

What do women in today's modern society wear?

Is there anyone here who doesn't wear make up or allow for piercings?

Please share what kinds of clothing, jewelry, make-up, head coverings and so on, that you wear or do not wear, and why.

Thank you

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Shalom

Please share what kinds of clothing, jewelry, make-up, head coverings and so on, that you wear or do not wear, and why.

Thank you
When I dress, I try to incorporate the following:
  • modesty
  • femininity
  • appropriate to the occasion
  • does it specifically look good on me
  • comfort
1. My modesty rules are as follows: I don't show cleavage, midriff, and wear my skirts down to my knees or below. If I dye my hair, it will be a natural color. Piercings and body art are to be far within the social norm for women. IOW I have pierced ears and one small tatoo that only I get to adore. I'm fine with wearing jewelry, but am just too lazy to put much of it on.

2. I make a conscious effort to dress feminine. If the choice is between a plain T-Shirt or a T-Shirt with cats or flowers, I buy the latter. Scripture forbids cross dressing. I try to keep the spirit of this law by wearing clothes that are feminine. I stay away from an androgynous look -- no short hair for me. I wear a little makeup, just enough to augment my natural beauty.

3. Dressing for the occasion: it is important to remember that dress is a form of non-verbal communication. With our dress we say things like, "I respect you," "This is important to me," "I really like you, come closer," or "relax and play." In my world it is just rude to show up to a funeral in jeans and a t-shirt as if you are going to have a fun family picnic. I'm careful what I choose to wear to work, because I know I'm making an impression. And I don't wear play clothes (shorts for example) to church or synagogue because I'm there to worship, not to have schmooze fest with the ladies.

4. Sometimes an outfit will meet all the other requirements and I still won't wear it simply because it makes me look old, or it makes me look fat, or deformed, or whatever. I adore peasant skirts, but I absolutely never wear them, because I no longer have enough of a waistline to look good in one. Indeed, I don't wear skirts at all, and very few dresses, even though I'd much prefer to wear a dress than pants. It's because what flatters my apple figure the most is nicely fitted pants with a beautiful long tunic. So I concentrate on the tunic for femininity and style.

5. Comfort is king. I only have two pairs of shoes, but they are both high quality brands well known for their comfort. No high heels for me! Even though I think heels look fab! I'm just not willing to deal with the pain. Another example of comfort being a factor is that although my modesty would rather wear sleeves down near my elbows, I simply overheat in the hot months, and will wear sleeveless tops.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Zaan

Sep 4, 2017
South West UK
✟98,793.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think I am still a work in progress to be honest.
I have come a long way but there are things I could improve on. But our Father says to come to Him as we are and He will mold & refine us. I feel that He is definitely in that process with me still.

I don't think I would wear a head covering, I feel that having your hair long for a woman is our covering enough. But that's just my opinion from what I know atm.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I am still a work in progress to be honest.
I have come a long way but there are things I could improve on. But our Father says to come to Him as we are and He will mold & refine us. I feel that He is definitely in that process with me still.

I don't think I would wear a head covering, I feel that having your hair long for a woman is our covering enough. But that's just my opinion from what I know atm.
I like what you said, as isnt our hair to be our crown? shall we cover our crown or our glory?

Reactions: Zaan
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
When I dress, I try to incorporate the following:
  • modesty
  • femininity
  • appropriate to the occasion
  • does it specifically look good on me
  • comfort
1. My modesty rules are as follows: I don't show cleavage, midriff, and wear my skirts down to my knees or below. If I dye my hair, it will be a natural color. Piercings and body art are to be far within the social norm for women. IOW I have pierced ears and one small tatoo that only I get to adore. I'm fine with wearing jewelry, but am just too lazy to put much of it on.

2. I make a conscious effort to dress feminine. If the choice is between a plain T-Shirt or a T-Shirt with cats or flowers, I buy the latter. Scripture forbids cross dressing. I try to keep the spirit of this law by wearing clothes that are feminine. I stay away from an androgynous look -- no short hair for me. I wear a little makeup, just enough to augment my natural beauty.

3. Dressing for the occasion: it is important to remember that dress is a form of non-verbal communication. With our dress we say things like, "I respect you," "This is important to me," "I really like you, come closer," or "relax and play." In my world it is just rude to show up to a funeral in jeans and a t-shirt as if you are going to have a fun family picnic. I'm careful what I choose to wear to work, because I know I'm making an impression. And I don't wear play clothes (shorts for example) to church or synagogue because I'm there to worship, not to have schmooze fest with the ladies.

4. Sometimes an outfit will meet all the other requirements and I still won't wear it simply because it makes me look old, or it makes me look fat, or deformed, or whatever. I adore peasant skirts, but I absolutely never wear them, because I no longer have enough of a waistline to look good in one. Indeed, I don't wear skirts at all, and very few dresses, even though I'd much prefer to wear a dress than pants. It's because what flatters my apple figure the most is nicely fitted pants with a beautiful long tunic. So I concentrate on the tunic for femininity and style.

5. Comfort is king. I only have two pairs of shoes, but they are both high quality brands well known for their comfort. No high heels for me! Even though I think heels look fab! I'm just not willing to deal with the pain. Another example of comfort being a factor is that although my modesty would rather wear sleeves down near my elbows, I simply overheat in the hot months, and will wear sleeveless tops.
Similar to what she says, except no piercings of any kind and no tattoos of any kind.

Upvote 0

Bat Kohen

Messianic INTJ
Oct 7, 2017
Connecticut
✟15,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Similar to what she says, except no piercings of any kind and no tattoos of any kind.

The same for me, but I do have pierced ears. I would compare my dress with that typically found in Conservative Judaism.

Upvote 0

Zaan

Sep 4, 2017
South West UK
✟98,793.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I like what you said, as isnt our hair to be our crown? shall we cover our crown or our glory?

I know this was a while ago but wanted to answer after my long absence.
Yes, exactly! Our hair is our glory from the Creator, it's pleasing to him so I don't see why you would want to hide that. Plus at the same time it is our covering, so it makes little sense to me that we would need a covering for our covering! Haha

1 Corinthians 11:5
"15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."

I suppose if you have cut your hair short it is no longer a glory to you so in that case maybe some kind of covering would be good. :sweatsmile:

I know that there is a lot to be said about women who had their hair shaved or cut historically when they were slaves or pagan temple prostitutes etc.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Shalom

Thank you
Since this was brought up recently and I missed it before....

I very rarely wear make-up; when I do it's not for beauty enhancement to attract but rather to keep from attraction. What you say? Well sometimes my lips are very pale and to keep people from asking if I'm sick or something I use a little tinted lip gloss.

No eye shadow, mascara either.

I will on occasion wear a bit of concealer base as I have rosacea from High BP which also causes undue attention so I smooth that out with some foundation or blending powder.

I'll preface this with the fact that I am an artist, jewelry maker and make some of my own clothing.

As for the other things, I do have pierced ears, not of my own doing but a 'birthday present' from my mom when I was 12 I think. If I had a choice I would not have them.

Tattoos, no never. Before I ever learned that it was a Torah no-no I could never see the propensity for people wanting them. I remember back 30 years sitting in my car at the supermarket, waiting for hubby (it was summer and had dogs in car so needed to stay with them), I saw this woman going into the store with this man and thought that she had been abused. Then I realized that she had a tattoo on her leg. That's what most look like to me, even today with the newer inks and colors, it just doesn't look right. And if you've had the chance to see how they were used by the Nazi's on fellow Jews, well...

I do wear jewelry on occasion but nothing ostentatious.

Clothing, modest but not as much as I used to wear. I used to wear 'down to the ground' shapeless caftans. I've realized that men are predisposed to look certain places at a woman and it doesn't matter if it's hanging out there or totally covered in a sack. I do not like to have any cleavage hanging out, nor do I like having to have it out there from other women, not sure why, just my preference though. If I wear a skirt, it's a boho type that is mid calf and not in windy conditions. ;)

Hair was mentioned so I'll address that. For years I let my hair grow. At one point it was down to where I could almost sit on it. It's very thick and I really didn't think it attracted men like in the past, but found I was wrong. I was actually sitting at oneg one time and a man walked behind me, not speaking to me or anyone, just in general but I heard him say ' wow! Look at that beautiful hair!' It wasn't much after that I began to cover, at least in service as I didn't want to be a distraction when men are supposed to be focusing on the L-RD. Then it went to everyday and I ended up getting more attention than I wanted. After awhile though because I have had whiplash several times the length and weight was causing me pain. So I had to cut it; and since then it's gotten shorter and shorter which is a lot easier for my neck as well as maintenance. Even at my age it's still very thick. I doubt any one would mistake me for a man even with my hair short as I'm over endowed so there's no question.

I do paint my nails a couple times a year when I am not going to be doing any projects but I've only used for years a pearly white or pinkish shade.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hair was mentioned so I'll address that. For years I let my hair grow. At one point it was down to where I could almost sit on it. It's very thick

I'm the same way. When I was young I had fairly long hair and I have super thick hair. When I got married I cut it fairly short because there was no way it was going to fit under a sheitel or a hat. I
was a little upset until I got it cut, it was so much easier to manage and so much more comfortable. Wish I would have done it years earlier.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums