Woman Says Church Threatening To Make Sins Public.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A divorced Jacksonville woman said her former church has threatened to "go public with her sins" and tell the congregation about her sexual relationship with her new boyfriend.

Rebecca Hancock said harassment from Grace Community Church in Mandarin over her sex life caused her to leave, but she said that didn't put an end to the problem. She said she received a letter from the church's elders telling her the church plans to make her personal life very public.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18286355/detail.html

Sylvanspirits

Aug 30, 2007
Washington State, United States
✟16,697.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sad that a church would do that. :sigh:

This parable comes to mind...

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. - Luke 18:9-14

Upvote 0
F

Flibbertigibbet

That is really twisting the scripture, since the woman is no longer a member of the church. She has effectively moved them to the next step, which is to treat her as a "heathen or tax collector." It makes absolutely no sense to "tell it to the church" she no longer belongs to. And there is absolutely no biblical basis to make it publicly known outside the community of believers, although she has effectively taken care of that herself.

Both sides, her and them, seem rather ridiculous. Them, for reasons stated above. Her, for making it REALLY public. I'm sure it's much more palatable for her kids to read about it in the newspaper. <sarcasm>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My wife's friend's husband was driven from his church by it's elders. Basically, he rejected the sexual advances of a very active and very married church member. She went to the elders claiming that he was sexually harassing her and they made this known to the congregation.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure why this church would even consider this woman to be sinning.

The no sex outside of marriage rule is very hard to back up with scripture.

It could of course be a church rule, but certainly no one should be treated like this over such a rule.

The weight of Scriptural evidence shows that premarital sex is a sin, even if the Bible doesn't specifically use the words "premarital sex." Sexual immorality of any kind is harshly condemned in the New Testament.

Example:
"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband." (1 Corinthians 7:1-2, KJV)

Fornication = sexual immorality = sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The weight of Scriptural evidence shows that premarital sex is a sin, even if the Bible doesn't specifically use the words "premarital sex." Sexual immorality of any kind is harshly condemned in the New Testament.

Example:
"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband." (1 Corinthians 7:1-2, KJV)

Fornication = sexual immorality = sin.

Only problem with this is that the Latin fornicatio in the Vulgate and the English "fornication" derived from it translate Greek inappropriate contenteia, which, to keep it relatively clean, means, outside Paul's writings, "having recourse to harlots." Churches have interpreted it that all sex outside marriage is fornication, and I'm certainly not suggesting it's a good thing, but the fact of the matter is that we cannot be sure Paul meant that.

The other half of the picture here, however, is that this church is threatening her by suggesting they will reveal something damaging to her reputation if she does not comply with their wishes. That is called blackmail, and is a criminal offense most places, and an actionable tort everywhere. She should talk to a lawyer and, based on his advice, consider whether to sue them and/or ask the D.A. to prosecute them, corporately and individually.

Upvote 0
F

Flibbertigibbet

I was very tired last night when I posted - and I woke up this morning thinking about this crazy story.

Upon further consideration, the church should not even be addressing the situation in this manner even if the woman were still a member of the congregation. Matthew 18:15-17 is instruction for what to do when a "brother has sinned against you." Were she married and carrying on an affair and her husband had implemented this process, that is one thing. But an individual's sin is NOT a sin against the church, the pastor or the elders.

This is just biblically wrong.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A divorced Jacksonville woman said her former church has threatened to "go public with her sins" and tell the congregation about her sexual relationship with her new boyfriend.

Rebecca Hancock said harassment from Grace Community Church in Mandarin over her sex life caused her to leave, but she said that didn't put an end to the problem. She said she received a letter from the church's elders telling her the church plans to make her personal life very public.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18286355/detail.html

"Elder" is a Mormon title I believe, is this a Mormon church?

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's the irony isn't it. The Church was threatining, and she made it public enough for all the world to know. ^_^

Not really ironic. She reacted much as I would. Someone attempts to blackmail me and I go public both with what they had on me and that they attempted to use it against me. I'm going down? You're going down too. You might even crash harder.

Upvote 0