With zero proof Joe Biden claims the President is going to postpone the election

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay, so that would necessarily mean that you're absolutely opposed to Pelosi's demands on Congress to institutionalize the shady stuff on a national scale,
What "shady stuff" are you referring to?
against "Vote Harvesting" which is already law in California and maybe a few other places,
I am against vote harvesting. The only options for returning a ballot should be by mail (postage paid - voters should not be required to have stamps on-hand) or hand-delivery to a secure ballot box by the voter.
against sending out ballots to every person whether or not he's a voter and without any request for a mail-in ballot having being made,
That depends. I think that automatic voter registration is a bit problematic due to the number of people eligible for drivers' licenses who are not eligible to vote. While I like the intent behind it, I think it's too easy for it to go wrong at this point. However, if you are a registered voter (as in, you chose to register to vote and had your registration approved), there's no reason why you should not receive a mail-in ballot. I think that state voter rolls should also talk to each other. That would help to eliminate duplicates. If I move to a new state and register to vote, there's no reason why my new state's voter rolls shouldn't communicate with my previous state's and inform them that I've moved.
and against counting votes that arrive after the close of polls on election day.
As long as they're postmarked by election day I don't see why they shouldn't be counted up to a reasonable number of days after the election. This should be coupled with efficiency improvements to the post office so that election mail is processed more quickly - meaning that this would happen less often.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Even the most optimistic reports I've read don't think we'll have a widespread vaccine before early January. It's certainly not something we should count on, at this point - unless something drastically changes, we should probably work under the assumption that, by the time inauguration day rolls around, we'll still be dealing with this, at least to some extent.
I agree.... the chance of a "game changing" vaccine is rather low but not impossible from rumors I've heard. I wouldn't shake the world up without a lot better information than rumors though.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So maybe it can be brought up to him later if it doesn't happen and we say we did what you told us....we marked your words.......so apparently you didn't know what you were talking about?
By the time you had posted this, it had already happened that Donald proposed via Twitter that the election should be delayed........so apparently you didn't know what you were talking about?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm almost thinking that Trump is "trolling" people with this delay thing as he has with a lot of his twitters.
There was speculation it was meant to distract from the worst-recorded GDP numbers released on the same day.

But then its gets him a Federalist Society founder calling for his impeachment. So it might have been a bigger distraction than he intended.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,823.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A real concern is the new postmaster general the president just appointed (yes, I guess he went down to the Everglades again to recruit another swamp creature for his staff...)

His qualifications? He's a Trump donor.

He is already planning huge cuts in time for Election Day (who wants to bet he'll hit the swing states hardest? Or to be more specific, the democratic districts in the swing states?)

Want to vote by mail? Better get your ballot in in early October!

Trump-donor postmaster general targets cost cuts even as Postal Service looks set to play pivotal role in November election

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Looks like Biden is right that Trump wants to delay the election.

Trump isn't getting support from the Republicans in the House and Senate - or from the co-founder of the Federalist Society which has vetted Trump's judiciary picks.

Delay election? Conservative group co-founder says Trump's tweet is grounds for impeachment - CNNPolitics

The co-founder of the conservative Federalist Society said Thursday in a blistering New York Times op-ed that President Donald Trump's tweet musing about a delay to November's presidential election is grounds for impeachment.

Steven Calabresi, a Northwestern University law professor who has offered broad defenses of the President in recent years, wrote, "I am frankly appalled by the president's recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election. Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats' assertion that President Trump is a fascist."
"But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president's immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate," he said.
It's a significant break from the co-founder of one of the most influential groups in Republican politics. The Federalist Society has emerged as a leading conservative and libertarian voice in recent years, urging a limited role for judges in society's problems.

He is no liberal or Democratic - and he is saying ""But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president's immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate..."

Wow

Wow indeed!!!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think that automatic voter registration is a bit problematic due to the number of people eligible for drivers' licenses who are not eligible to vote.
I'm reasonably sure that the state knows which people are qualified.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
heh sure lets have president pelosi, I really hope trump is dumb enough to delay it.
Pelosi couldn't do it, she's up for reelection and so is Grassley. But I'd be fine with Senator Patrick Leahy, he'd be pro temp.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm reasonably sure that the state knows which people are qualified.
While I'd like to believe that, there have been enough cases where they actually have found ineligible voters registered by mistake in California (mainly self-reported) that I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to make. I'm not suggesting that those people actually vote - if they're illegal, they're not going to risk showing up at the polls, and they're not going to request a mail-in ballot, but if a ballot were to show up in their mailbox, some might fill it out. Enough to have a significant impact on the election? Doubtful. But it does give the opportunity for people to question the results. There's nothing wrong with registering someone to vote when they get their driver's license, but it should be a voluntary process, not an automatic one.

The other problem that arises with automatic registration is that it can lead to issues like the one my mom experienced in 2018. I believe I've told the story before, but when she got her RealID, the clerk told her that she had to sign her full name (first, middle, and last - no middle initial). That's not how she normally signs her name (and the clerk was also incorrect - I've had two RealIDs in two different states, neither of which required me to sign my full middle name), so she told them not to update her voter registration. But they did anyways (pretty sure they didn't have the option to disable it), and when she went to vote, her signature didn't match the one on file. Fortunately she voted in person and the election volunteer recognized what had happened and let her re-sign the rolls correctly, but if she had voted by mail, her ballot would have been thrown out.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
As long as the "postponing" of the election doesn't put it so that they can't determine a winner before the deadline of which the next presidential term starts I don't see this as a huge issue. I don't have an issue with a 2 week or even a month postponement of the presidential election itself especially if a vaccine should happen that could allow more and more people who would be scared to vote, feel comfortable about voting in person.
I think the 2 issues is would more in person voter turnouts favor one candidate over the other and would less mail in ballots needed likewise favor a candidate. Personally I don't have a clue as to putting off the election for a few weeks even a month would make a huge difference IF..... there was no cheating involved one way or another.
We are in a situation that we haven't been in, and things have been done that have never been done because of the virus including shutting down all sorts of things never been shut down.... ever so to delay or shut down anything because it was never done so in the past is not an overwhelming argument IMO.
However I don't think the President can delay the vote by executive order alone it would end up at the Supreme Court in the end after going through 2-3 levels of judges. I don't think the Democrats in Congress would agree to a delay in the voting if they thought it wouldn't help them so all of this feigned outrage is just that...
As it probably isn't going to be postponed/delayed unless he can compel congress and/or the supreme court to allow it.
Given that this President is both unfamiliar and chooses not to recognize the system of "checks and balances" in the Constitution over presidential power, the nation appears headed for series of self-serving constitutional crises in the next 4 months - in addition to the Pandemic and economic crises that currently exist!

As this President faces almost certain defeat in the 2020 Election, Trump's "narcissistic" personality doesn't allow for personal failure, which means he will resort to anything and everything over the next 4 months to avoid that eventuality!

Add to that as "Individual 1" Trump has faces the prospect of criminal prosecution once he becomes a private citizen, we should all be prepared to face one constitutional crisis after another as November approaches - with this President literally pulling out all the stops to forestall the inevitable!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder if Trump realizes that if there isn't an election by Jan. 20th, he and Pence and all senators who had an election are simply out of a job. They were only sworn until Jan. 20, 2021. That eventually leaves the Senate Pro Tem as in charge of the country, as all Representatives will be out too.
Since so many Republican Senators have elections this year, it will leave the Dems in the majority and the one who will be acting president will be a Democrat. ;)

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There was speculation it was meant to distract from the worst-recorded GDP numbers released on the same day.

But then its gets him a Federalist Society founder calling for his impeachment. So it might have been a bigger distraction than he intended.

If the President was inclined to attempt to distract from bad economic numbers by floating the idea that he hates bedrock republican principles and elections then there's really little to be said for whether he should be the President.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Trump realizes that if there isn't an election by Jan. 20th, he and Pence and all senators who had an election are simply out of a job. They were only sworn until Jan. 20, 2021. That eventually leaves the Senate Pro Tem as in charge of the country, as all Representatives will be out too.
Since so many Republican Senators have elections this year, it will leave the Dems in the majority and the one who will be acting president will be a Democrat. ;)
Only if the Supreme Court agrees. I don’t think it’s obvious that they would.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Given that this President has failed to show empathy for the 50 million Americans unemployed many of whom will lose their benefits tomorrow, 4.5 million testing positive, 60,000 new cases daily and the 153,000+ who have died as the result of the Pandemic, why would this President think twice about creating a constitutional crises if the 2020 Election was pushed beyond Jan. 20, 2021?

The only thing that preoccupies this President's mind is his inability to accept being voted out of office - the collateral damage created by attempting to forestall that eventuality is not his concern!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Pelosi couldn't do it, she's up for reelection and so is Grassley. But I'd be fine with Senator Patrick Leahy, he'd be pro temp.
Meh...the States could still run their elections, Pelosi’d be there trading the Gavel for the Oval.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Given that this President is both unfamiliar and chooses not to recognize the system of "checks and balances" in the Constitution over presidential power, the nation appears headed for series of self-serving constitutional crises in the next 4 months - in addition to the Pandemic and economic crises that currently exist!

As this President faces almost certain defeat in the 2020 Election, Trump's "narcissistic" personality doesn't allow for personal failure, which means he will resort to anything and everything over the next 4 months to avoid that eventuality!

Add to that as "Individual 1" Trump has faces the prospect of criminal prosecution once he becomes a private citizen, we should all be prepared to face one constitutional crisis after another as November approaches - with this President literally pulling out all the stops to forestall the inevitable!
We will just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Trump pulled a rabbit out of the hat once already.

Upvote 0