With the Affordable Care Act's future in doubt, evidence grows that it has saved lives

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
With the Affordable Care Act's future in doubt, evidence grows that it has saved lives
Poor people in Michigan with asthma and diabetes were admitted to the hospital less often after they joined Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. More than 25,000 Ohio smokers got help through the state’s Medicaid expansion that led them to quit. And around the country, patients with advanced kidney disease who went on dialysis were more likely to be alive a year later if they lived in a Medicaid-expansion state.

Such findings are part of an emerging mosaic of evidence that, nearly a decade after it became one of the most polarizing health-care laws in U.S. history, the ACA is making some Americans healthier — and less likely to die.

Reactions: SLP

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the ACA is so wonderful why are Democrats not happy about the country's health care and proposing Medicare for all? Did they want those people alive today only because of Obamacare to have died after all?

• Winner
Reactions: dogs4thewin
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If the ACA is so wonderful why are Democrats not happy about the country's health care and proposing Medicare for all?

StrawMan2.jpg

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did the AMA and CDC websites show an INCREASE or a DECREASE in
the major causes of death in the USA ?
One in point of topic: the third highest or fastest growing cause of death
is "healthcare" in the USA. (i.e. medicine)

No plan proposed or used in the last 50 years or more has changed that - nor likely to...

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did the AMA and CDC websites show an INCREASE or a DECREASE in
the major causes of death in the USA ?
One in point of topic: the third highest or fastest growing cause of death
is "healthcare" in the USA. (i.e. medicine)

No plan proposed or used in the last 50 years or more has changed that - nor likely to...

"No one gets out of here alive." Jim Morrison and a host of movie bad guys.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the ACA is so wonderful why are Democrats not happy about the country's health care and proposing Medicare for all? Did they want those people alive today only because of Obamacare to have died after all?
That makes little sense. No one is happy about the country's health care status.

Almost all dems and most republicans believe that the health care system has to be improved.

That fact is built into the GOP's inability to kill it in the last nine years.

The simple truth is the industrialized modern countries of the world have better health care systems than the US.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"No one gets out of here alive." Jim Morrison and a host of movie bad guys.
Right one way or another we will all die so really we just postpone death I have heard people say basically I am going to die of something so I may as well enjoy life ( usually in the context of poor health decisions such as drinking a little too much or eating sweets.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That makes little sense. No one is happy about the country's health care status.

Almost all dems and most republicans believe that the health care system has to be improved.

That fact is built into the GOP's inability to kill it in the last nine years.

Perhaps the GOP never really wanted to kill it? Just as the Democrats never passed meaningful immigration reform among other things they promised to their voters when they had the chance for two years running, the Republicans never repealed Obamacare among other things they promised their voters when they had the same opportunity for the same period of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Stop that. Yes, the GoP wanted to kill it. And dodging with a deflection to immigration is dropped in the waste basket.

The GOP cannot repeal ACA because they know the voters would massacre them at the polls.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right one way or another we will all die so really we just postpone death I have heard people say basically I am going to die of something so I may as well enjoy life ( usually in the context of poor health decisions such as drinking a little too much or eating sweets.

"Many would rather die." From A Christmas Carol. Don't think the name of the character was given.

"Live free or die" many sources.

" There is no government program or scheme that saves lives in the truest sense of the word save
and surely none that improves the lives of the individual apart from that individual's own decision and effort to improve his life. A man's life belongs to that man not to the collective. A man must choose for himself what makes life worth living and not allow some bureaucrat to decide that for him." Anonymous.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stop that. Yes, the GoP wanted to kill it. And dodging with a deflection to immigration is dropped in the waste basket.

The GOP cannot repeal ACA because they know the voters would massacre them at the polls.

I assume you are addressing me.
Your definitions of dodging is amusing and deflection'
I told you what I thought on the subject. How is that dodging or deflecting?
Does disagreeing with your take equal dodging or deflecting in your eyes?
Can one not make a comparison?
If the Republicans in Congress wanted to kill the ACA it would have died in 2017.
They were voted into control of Congress by a number of people only for that specific purpose.
Their constituents would not vote them out for doing what they voted them in to do.
Both parties have campaign issues that they do not want to go away.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The deflection to immigration is not amusing and the stubborn attempt to suggest that the GoP does not want to kill ACA is not amusing, either.

ACA will continue the rest of Trump's term, and then the new Dem administration is going to make it even better so that even a majority of the GoP will like it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SLP

May 29, 2002
✟21,532.00
Faith
Atheist
Sadly, Obamacare was a compromise. A compromise produced to placate dishonest brokers (the GOP) that voted against even after the spineless Dems caved and adopted many of their demands, weakening the program.
Replacing a bad compromise (albeit one that was better than what was in place at the time) with something better should be a goal, no?

And where is Trumpcare? Weren't we supposed to see 100% coverage for everything at only $15 a month or whatever it was?

Or was that claim made prior to the claim that 'nobody knew how hard health care' was?

Upvote 0