With Slow Progress on Federal Level, Police Reform Remains Patchwork Across U.S.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
With Slow Progress on Federal Level, Police Reform Remains Patchwork Across U.S.
One week ago, people celebrated in the streets of Minneapolis as a judge read the guilty verdicts in the trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin, convicted of murdering George Floyd.

In the days since, the Justice Department announced it would investigate whether the police departments in Minneapolis and Louisville, where Breonna Taylor was killed by police, engage in a "pattern or practice" of discrimination or excessive force.

But even as advocates and family members of those killed by police welcomed those developments, they said the need for structural change to policing has not disappeared — a point underscored, they said, by the police killings of Black people during and since the Chauvin trial in Brooklyn Center, Minn., Columbus, Ohio, and Elizabeth City, N.C.

• Informative
Reactions: ArmenianJohn

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Senate needs to pass the George Floyd Act.

No, the Democrats need to STOP posturing and have senators negotiate a law that has the support of 60 members of the Senate.

DOA bills don't help get anything done, unless you think that this bullying will help convince Manchin to cave on the filibuster.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We do need to end the filibuster.

I define posturing as the "thoughts and prayers" many Republicans recite as they wait on line ar the sporting goods store to buy more ammo.

We tried to reform the police by letting the states do what they wanted. Let's call that posture turning your back.

It's time for action.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I define posturing as the "thoughts and prayers" many Republicans recite as they wait on line ar the sporting goods store to buy more ammo.

We tried to reform the police by letting the states do what they wanted. Let's call that posture turning your back.

It's time for action.

I strongly agree that it is time for action. And, I agree that the majority of the Senate would support legislation. It does NOT follow that the appropriate strategy is to basically have a Democratic proposal that the Republicans should be expected to approve.

As I said, I want the appropriate Senate committee to draft a bill. That is the only route to 60 votes. Asking for the approval of House drafted bill has little to with passing a law, and everything to do with 2022 and 2024 politics.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

It is indeed time to end the filibuster. I see only one way for this to happen: elect more Democratic senators. It is really that simple. Manchin (and several others that don't have to speak out now) won't support the end to the filibuster.

That being said, I do believe that Manchin might support no filibuster for the voting bill.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟328,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I strongly agree that it is time for action. And, I agree that the majority of the Senate would support legislation. It does NOT follow that the appropriate strategy is to basically have a Democratic proposal that the Republicans should be expected to approve.

As I said, I want the appropriate Senate committee to draft a bill. That is the only route to 60 votes. Asking for the approval of House drafted bill has little to with passing a law, and everything to do with 2022 and 2024 politics.

The only route to get to 60 votes is likely to remove Sen. McConnell. He, as the Minority Leader, will not allow any Republicans to vote on any bill -- no matter how much negotiating is done with Republicans.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The only route to get to 60 votes is likely to remove Sen. McConnell. He, as the Minority Leader, will not allow any Republicans to vote on any bill -- no matter how much negotiating is done with Republicans.
And he controls a huge amount of campaign money and will mount primaries against those who defy him.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is indeed time to end the filibuster. I see only one way for this to happen: elect more Democratic senators. It is really that simple. Manchin (and several others that don't have to speak out now) won't support the end to the filibuster.

That being said, I do believe that Manchin might support no filibuster for the voting bill.
DC statehood would certainly help--and there is no reason why it should fail.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The area that D.C. now occupies is spelled out in the Constitution as the seat of government. It was designed specifically as a district, rather than a state, under a complex agreement involving Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. Even its size, “not exceeding ten Miles square,” is specified.

Madison was concerned that if the capital was located in a state, that state could gain too much power and impose restrictions on Congress. So the founders made a conscious decision not to locate the U.S. Capitol in a state.
State debate: Why has DC never become a state? | WTOP

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,085,467.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Not to exceed 10 miles" means it can be much, much, much smaller. The federal sites will still be on a much smaller appropriately sized capitol district.

Did the founding fathers want to deprive 700,000 residents of representation? The insurrection of 1/6, which left residents unprotected and terrified, has shown how urgent statehood is.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Not to exceed 10 miles" means it can be much, much, much smaller. The federal sites will still be on a much smaller appropriately sized capitol district.

Did the founding fathers want to deprive 700,000 residents of representation?

The majority of those "residents" are lobbyists, politicians, powerbrokers, etc. that are there to influence. Them and their families.

The insurrection of 1/6, which left residents unprotected and terrified, has shown how urgent statehood is.

"Insurrection" ^_^
As if DC doesn't even have its own police.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

???
McConnell would be replaced by lots worse, by a much more pro-Trump senator.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

No reason?

It will fail because there aren't 10 Republicans who would vote for it (presuming 50 Democrats).

• Optimistic
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know as well as I do that the Capitol Police was incapable of containing the angry violent mob. But D.C. doesn't have its own guard and the former president refused to authorize the help they desperately needed.

Well, now it's a military encampment. Be happy.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Did the founding fathers want to deprive 700,000 residents of representation? The insurrection of 1/6, which left residents unprotected and terrified, has shown how urgent statehood is.

The founder would have had no problem with DC not having representation. And you should only count white male landowners, if you want to appeal to the ideas of the the founders.

But, wait a bit. When there are 60 Democratic senators, DC and Puerto Rico will both be states.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟263,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
The founder would have had no problem with DC not having representation. And you should only count white male landowners, if you want to appeal to the ideas of the the founders.

But, wait a bit. When there are 60 Democratic senators, DC and Puerto Rico will both be states.

Pretty scathing indictment to make of the Republican Party that they are willingly preventing almost 4 millions American citizens from having representation in the Senate and voting representation in the House.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pretty scathing indictment to make of the Republican Party that they are willingly preventing almost 4 millions American citizens from having representation in the Senate and voting representation in the House.
scathing is in the eye of the beholder.
Almost all Republicans are very proud of their position.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That's nothing! There are over 130 million more people in Mexico who don't have representation in the Senate and voting representation in the House.

Upvote 0