With all your heart?

Can you love God with all of your heart?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It’s not an intentional sin. Ok let’s say I’m playing baseball and I’m up to bat I hit the ball as hard as I can and it hits my wife in the chest. Did I do that because I didn’t live my wife at that moment?
How is that a sin?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe that you can keep the first greatest commandment? Many have said... “no” within this thread, and yet they are not saying they are unsaved as a result of such.

Translation:

This means they do not really have to keep the first greatest commandment and they are okay (i.e. they have eternal life) with God.
It seems to me you two argue with each other no matter what thread you are on. Are you two blood brothers, lol?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If it’s a sudden thought that just popped into your head or if you just glanced at a girl and noticed she is dressed provocatively it’s not a sin. What makes it a sin is if you entertain the thought or keep looking at the girl in lust. I think the thing I hate the most is women who dress inappropriately for church. Spandex and see through attire is not acceptable in church in my opinion. I remember greeting people as they came into the church and this woman came in with this silky see thru dress and the sun coming in the door right behind her just revealed everything and I quickly looked away thinking why would you wear that anywhere much less to church. Like I don’t want to see that especially when I’m worshipping in the Lord’s house of all places!!

A Benedictine brother once said: "It happens that a bird lands on your head. Just don't let it build a nest in your hair." ^_^

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What knowledge do you posses that leads you to this conclusion?

Historical records, read some of the lives of the Saints. Off the top of my head St. Therese in the west and many desert fathers from the East.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Or at least it felt like it. If you had, you would never falter again. You wouldn't even need glorification in Heaven.

Do you think one can love God with all heart, soul, mind, strength and when being tested by God, fail the test?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,432.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but only a few Saints achieved this. It is not common

I don't think it's something for us to achieve, but a gift of grace by God. I like your idea that only some Christians do love God with all heart. We can see in church most Christians don't (at least in my church).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Mr. Hammster sir, you truly are the smartest, far seeing and likeable rodent on our forum. :)

Joke aside, yes it would be nice if they come round to the ''no'' option."

:wave:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why do we sin?

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
— James 1:14-15

Where’s the lust in cursing after hitting your thumb with a hammer? That’s not lust that’s just pain and maybe some fear of how bad the damage is. There’s no lust or rebellion in that scenario it’s an involuntary action.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Where’s the lust in cursing after hitting your thumb with a hammer? That’s not lust that’s just pain and maybe some fear of how bad the damage is. There’s no lust or rebellion in that scenario it’s an involuntary action.
Darn. James got it wrong. Thanks for setting him straight.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hurting someone is not a sin? Or are you saying that hurting someone unintentionally is not a sin?
Hurting someone might be a sin, or it might not be, depending on circumstances. Someone being hit by an errant ball isn’t a sin. :doh:

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It’s not an intentional sin. Ok let’s say I’m playing baseball and I’m up to bat I hit the ball as hard as I can and it hits my wife in the chest. Did I do that because I didn’t live my wife at that moment?
This is getting absurd. Just saying...

But I'll play, (since I wasn't invited).

Did you sin against your wife? So what has that to do with the OP?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you think one can love God with all heart, soul, mind, strength and when being tested by God, fail the test?
No. To me, if a person sins, they obviously don't love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you think the command implies the ability to obey the command? Or does God say the Law is given to reveal what is in us?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did you do it on purpose?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. To me, if a person sins, they obviously don't love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength.
We all sin and come close to the glory of God
CORRECTION:
"We all sin and fall short of the glory of God" Per Mark Quayle

The part I added comes from another scripture, I just have to figure out which one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
We all sin and come close to the glory of God
Huh? Where is that in Scripture? Mine says "fallen short".

But even if I accept your statement, what has that to do with the question?

So how does "come close to the glory of God" mean you can love God with your whole heart? Close is not good enough.

"The bed is too short; the blanket too narrow to wrap oneself up in. The understanding of this message will bring sheer terror."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.