With all your heart?

Can you love God with all of your heart?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Can you please show me any place in the NT where believers are shown as anything other than redeemed, set free, etc.

Why bring up your past? It is no longer you.
I’m moving on, now.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,834.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whether one loves Jesus while stumbling isn't the question. It is whether one loves the Lord their God with all their heart, with all their soul, with all their strength, with all their mind.

I know I did when I just got saved. Since then I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was a very practical answer

I know it's OT, but ...
I had that problem too. Even I don't watch it now I kind of have a problem with looking at girls the wrong way, and I know it's a sin, and I choose it because I don't resist the temptation. I don't know if I'm choosing to live in sin or if I struggle/fall in sin.

If it’s a sudden thought that just popped into your head or if you just glanced at a girl and noticed she is dressed provocatively it’s not a sin. What makes it a sin is if you entertain the thought or keep looking at the girl in lust. I think the thing I hate the most is women who dress inappropriately for church. Spandex and see through attire is not acceptable in church in my opinion. I remember greeting people as they came into the church and this woman came in with this silky see thru dress and the sun coming in the door right behind her just revealed everything and I quickly looked away thinking why would you wear that anywhere much less to church. Like I don’t want to see that especially when I’m worshipping in the Lord’s house of all places!!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
To all:

Some may suggest that one is not making peace with all men if one does not address them directly in conversation. Is that not making peace? Well, this needs to be taken into context to other verses in Scripture. The whole counsel of God's Word. Even Jesus Himself at one point did not answer His accusers (Matthew 27:12). Jesus also said that He comes not bring peace, but a sword. For Jesus says, “For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.” (Matthew 10:35-36). I believe that silence can bring peace all on it's own. For words spoken directly to a person can sometimes be taken personally (when that was not the intention), and a person can take offense, and get mad, etc. (Thereby destroying any kind of peace).
Then you probably shouldn’t participate in the thread of the only person you won’t actually address. It’s just rude to not even acknowledge me directly. My screen name is Hammster, not “To All”.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think I am perfect. And think it is not the requirement. Righteousness is and as Bible tells, even righteous can stumble.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Of course, righteous person wants to live perfectly, but it is not necessary a problem, if he fails. Things can be forgiven. And righteous person can be recognized from that he regrets, when he knows he has done wrongly and repents, like in this example:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

Anyway, I think it is still good goal to be perfectly obedient to God and I also want to be obedient to Him. Not to earn something, but because I love him and think He is greatest and the best.
And that’s great. The thread was never about if we love God but whether we love Him with all our heart.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know anyone who has kept Christ’s commandments without stumbling in sin. I don’t think stumbling in sin means that we didn’t love Jesus when we stumbled.
Sin is rebellion against God. I don’t see how one can love and rebel at the same instant.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No stumbling in sin is not the same as willfully sinning. Stumbling in sin is accidental it’s not premeditated. It’s like hitting your thumb with a hammer and yelling a curse word because of the pain. You didn’t actually think I know this is wrong but I’m going to do it anyway. That kind of willful sin is a huge problem that people really need to get under control. If a person is willfully sinning they need to repent and put a stop to it.
We are commanded to take every thought captive. The cursing shows that we have not done so. Hence, it’s not accidental.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟348,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The early part of this discussion, ''no'' had the majority in the poll. Now ''yes'' has the majority.

One possibility is vote changing. Hence why I don't put that option in when I make a poll, people are fickle.
I think it is peoples first reaction will mostly be yes but when they really think it through then they waver.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sin is rebellion against God. I don’t see how one can love and rebel at the same instant.

Sin is a transgression against God not necessarily a rebellion. How do you accidentally rebel against anyone?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sin is a transgression against God not necessarily a rebellion. How do you accidentally rebel against anyone?
You don’t. “Accidental” is a category that seems to be invented to help assuage guilt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are commanded to take every thought captive. The cursing shows that we have not done so. Hence, it’s not accidental.

Taking every thought captive is impossible. Everyone has terrible thoughts pop into their head uncontrollably. How we deal with those thoughts determines whether or not we have sinned against God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don’t. “Accidental” is a category that seems to be invented to help assuage guilt

So then stumbling in sin is intentional? Since when does a person intentionally stumble, trip, or slip?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that many Christians are saying they can disobey God's greatest commandment and yet they are still in God's good graces despite keeping such a command. We have seen this thought expressed several times in this thread.
What is "God's good graces"? Are you saying that if we fail to love the Lord our God with all of our heart, strength, soul and mind that he will abandon us until we figure out in what way we have fallen short? If he stops working on us, yeah, we might have reason to doubt our regeneration. Our attitude is contrite, an admission of our backward (since I don't dare say "fallen" in this crowd) estate, which fact we constantly admit ('confess') and repent of what we know to repent of, even asking for more ("see if there be some wicked way in me") knowledge of sin needing repented of. My mother used to call this "keeping close accounts" with God, and I guess that's a good way to put it. God is patient with us, he knows we are but dust. We are not regarding sin in our hearts to think God is still with us even though we have not loved him with our whole heart, soul, mind and strength.

But you want to skinny it down to "Do you believe that you can keep the first greatest commandment? Many have said... “no” within this thread, and yet they are not saying they are unsaved as a result of such." As though we believe (or should believe) that failing to keep this commandment to the satisfaction of our own consciences even (nevermind God's assessment) will separate us from the Love of God.

1. A person is not unsaved as the result of committing a sin.
2. Failing to live up to the Great Commandment in all its fullness does not mean we have no communion with God.

David said, if I regard sin in my heart, the Lord will not hear me. I think that is a long way from "a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise." When he said, "Return to me the joy of my salvation", he did not say, "Return to me my salvation."

I defy ANYONE to tell me that they on their own have sufficient understanding of how bad their sin is to make their confession valid, and enough willpower to of repent, and enough steadfastness to live sinlessly thereafter, even in that one regard (neverminding the sins one isn't even aware of), without the the knowledge, understanding, power and faithfulness of the Holy Spirit within being the cause of whatever validity the decision has. God forgives us for Christ's sake --not ours.

Without him we can do nothing. God knows even my sin that is hidden from me. I don't, but I know it is there. And I am forgiven.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Taking every thought captive is impossible. Everyone had terrible thoughts pop into their head uncontrollably. How we deal with those thoughts determines whether or not we have sinned against God.
And obviously if you curse when hitting your thumb, that sin was inside you and has not been dealt with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
And obviously if you curse when hitting your thumb, that sin was inside you and has not been dealt with.
Maybe he's an Open Theist, where the sin hasn't happened yet, so it doesn't count. Poor guy.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I know I did when I just got saved. Since then I'm not sure.
Or at least it felt like it. If you had, you would never falter again. You wouldn't even need glorification in Heaven.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,726,704.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So then stumbling in sin is intentional? Since when does a person intentionally stumble, trip, or slip?

Why do we sin?

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
— James 1:14-15

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟884,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It’s not an intentional sin. Ok let’s say I’m playing baseball and I’m up to bat I hit the ball as hard as I can and it hits my wife in the chest. Did I do that because I didn’t live my wife at that moment?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.