Witchcraft and the newly departed

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
step one is to talk to your priest, and I would keep in mind there is an Akathist to St Varus, who intercedes for those who die outside the Church.

So it would be an appropriate thing to ask?

I'm not sure I gather the importance of the akathist reference (had to Google the term for starters), is that what Orthodox sing at funerals? Sorry to sound dumb, but this is new to me.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So it would be an appropriate thing to ask?

I'm not sure I gather the importance of the akathist reference (had to Google the term for starters), is that what Orthodox sing at funerals? Sorry to sound dumb, but this is new to me.
Yes, it is definitely appropriate to ask for prayer. We prayed for my grandfather after he passed despite him not part of the Church. We even had a small panikhida / memorial service outside of the liturgy - there is a version that can be used for non-Orthodox. I still pray for him on a regular basis.

This akathist to is more of an additional prayer that (in this case) is set up specifically set up for those who have died outside the Church. That's not to say it is the only prayer you can say, but it is one specifically written for a similar situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It can be. Depends on the circumstances, it can be. It runs the entire gamut from treating it as a silly superstition to being an evil and dangerous thing that opens yourself up to demons. Also we really really hate cremation. So pray for him and anytime you think of him.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hi Porkchop! I just saw you were a new member. I wanted to welcome you to CF, and to TAW. I hope you received the answers you were looking for. You are new to the Church as well? We are glad to have you, and Welcome Home!

Upvote 0