USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Election officials are not at liberty to alter ballots on their own initiative, and that goes for the necessary, identifying information required on the security envelope.

The envelope is *not* part of the ballot. It is the container that the ballot arrives in. As I noted, it's not "their initiative" it is their *duty* and they do so using a procedure sent to them by the state elections commission.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Elections should be conducted fairly. And ballots are indeed invalidated when the voter makes a mistake. This is how it always has been.

A mismarked ballot *will* be invalidated (such as voting for two candidates for president, but only the presidential vote is invalid in this example). NO BALLOTS ARE BEING ALTERED BY CLERKS.

For in person voters, the election workers *are* the witnesses to the identity of the voter. For absentee voters checking the witnesses is equivalent to making sure that the ID checker initialed the poll book. No one sees the ballot then, and no clerk "fixing" the witness ID sees the ballot either.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Election officials are not at liberty to alter ballots on their own initiative, and that goes for the necessary, identifying information required on the security envelope.
The state Elections Commission has the authority to tell the clerks how to deal with election issues.

The state Elections Commission sent a memo to clerks on Oct. 19, 2020, instructing them how to spoil absentee ballots for voters who wanted to vote in person. The memo also provides guidance on how to handle absentee ballot errors, including missing witness signatures or addresses.

“The witness can appear without the voter to add their signature or address,” the memo states. “Please note that the clerk should attempt to resolve any missing witness address information prior to Election Day if possible, and this can be done through reliable information (personal knowledge, voter registration information, through a phone call with the voter or witness). The witness does not need to appear to add a missing address.”
The commission’s public information officer, Reid Magney, said this guidance has been in place since October 2016 and was brought forward that year by Republicans on the commission. Indeed, an Oct. 18, 2016 memo states that clerks are required to “take corrective actions in an attempt to remedy a witness address error.”

“The guidance has been in effect for 11 statewide elections, including the 2016 presidential and presidential recount, and no one has objected to it until now,” he said.
Wisconsin clerks altered ballot information according to guidance

Seeing that it was in effect in 2016 election, maybe Trump didn't win in Wisconsin after all?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How long an erroneous practice has been in force does not decide its legality. If that were the case, all sorts of racial laws could not have been overthrown in our past. The supporters would simply have had to say what you are contending here--But we always have done it this way, so it cannot be wrong.

In addition, none of the people here who rushed to exonerate the election inspectors really do know how it was, so there's no point in continuing to guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Elections should be conducted fairly. And ballots are indeed invalidated when the voter makes a mistake. This is how it always has been.
Not true. Ballot curing is legal, and for good reason. No one’s vote should be thrown out over a mistake if the mistake can be remedied.

It is not the job of the election worker, an identified Republican or Democrat, to change ballots on their own initiative, whether or not they say they're doing someone a favor.
In Wisconsin, it is. States conduct elections and determine the process in their state.
If they had nothing to hide, they'd of course unfold the ballot so it could be seen.
Why do you keep repeating this? Do you have a source that the ballots weren’t being unfolded? The article simply states that the observers were objecting to ballots that were folded when they were taken out, not that the poll workers weren’t unfolding them.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not true.
Well, I think elections should be conducted fairly. Maybe I was assuming too much to say that they should be fair without further clarification.

No one’s vote should be thrown out over a mistake if the mistake can be remedied.
It's unfortunate, yes, but there's no justice if a poll worker can alter a ballot for another person without that person's knowledge and change critical information. What's more, you assume, I think, that such a worker will change every such ballot that passes before him instead of throwing some out and "correcting" others to his own liking.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How long an erroneous practice has been in force does not decide its legality.

Your declaration of it being "erroneous" does not decide that it is, in fact, erroneous

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well, I think elections should be conducted fairly. Maybe I was assuming too much to say that they should be fair without further clarification.

It's unfortunate, yes, but there's no justice if a poll worker can alter a ballot for another person without that person's knowledge and change critical information. What's more, you assume, I think, that such a worker will change every such ballot that passes before him instead of throwing some out and "correcting" others to his own liking.
How would this worker know which ballots to keep and which to throw out? The corrections and completions are made to the ballot envelope before the ballot s taken out of it.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's unfortunate, yes, but there's no justice if a poll worker can alter a ballot for another person and change critical information. What's more, you assume, I think, that such a worker will change every such ballot that passes before him instead of throwing some out and "correcting" others to his own liking.
They aren’t altering ballots. Are you not reading any of these posts informing you of what is happening and why?

We get it, you don’t think ballot curing is “fair.” But it’s legal and it’s purpose is to not disqualify a legitimate vote because of an honest mistake.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They aren’t altering ballots.
You don't know that. Neither do the observers if they are not allowed to observe and speak up, for which privilege the State of Wisconsin extorted three million dollars from the Trump campaign and then tried to keep the process from functioning anyway.

And as for wording, how would you prefer us to describe security envelopes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How would you prefer us to describe security envelopes in order to gild the lily properly enough to continue the discussion?

truthfully would be a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And as for wording, how would you prefer us to describe security envelopes?

As containers. They are NOT ballots. And the "modifications" take place WHILE THE ENVELOPES ARE SEALED.

• Informative
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
You don't know that. Neither do the observers if they are not allowed to observe and speak up, for which privilege the State of Wisconsin extorted three million dollars from the Trump campaign and then tried to keep the process from functioning anyway.
Extort? State law does not require a recount, and it clearly says that, with a margin greater than .25%, the requester has to pay. That is not extortion. Nobody made Trump pay that.

And that brings up a point that's been bugging me - why did Trump only pay for a recount in two counties? If he thinks this is a statewide problem, which seems to be his contention, why isn't going for a full recount?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Neither do the observers if they are not allowed to observe and speak up, for which privilege the State of Wisconsin extorted three million dollars from the Trump campaign and then tried to keep the process from functioning anyway.

From what I've read, it is the Republican/Trump observers of the recount that are slowing things down.

And why should two counties with financial stresses of their own be required to expend $3 million because some whinny candidate who lost by more than 0.25% wants a futile recount just because he wants it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Extort? State law does not require a recount, and it clearly says that, with a margin greater than .25%, the requester has to pay.

Yes, well it cost this much to recount only TWO counties in 2020.

Four years ago, when Hillary went for a recount in Wisconsin, she was entitled to a recount of the entire state--70+ counties--for about the same amount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Extort? State law does not require a recount, and it clearly says that, with a margin greater than .25%, the requester has to pay. That is not extortion. Nobody made Trump pay that.

Nobody except his own ego. A better man would accept his loss by now.

But instead of one day of Donald losing, we get over two weeks of it... Hanukkah has come early this year.

And that brings up a point that's been bugging me - why did Trump only pay for a recount in two counties? If he thinks this is a statewide problem, which seems to be his contention, why isn't going for a full recount?

The point that's bugging me is how do we know he's paying for the recount... the man still has access to the US treasury, and a DOJ that's basically his doormat, who's stopping him from raiding the world's largest piggy bank?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Four years ago, when Hillary went for a recount in Wisconsin, she was entitled to a recount of the entire state--70+ counties--for about the same amount.
Hillary Clinton never went for a recount in WI. That was Jill Stein. And they charged her 3.5 million up front. And that was before the state passed a bill adding recounts more expensive by making the person asking for the recount pay for what it cost the Election Commission to run the recount.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker

I'm no expert, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say it has something to do with Milwaukee County having, well...Milwaukee in it. You know, the largest and most populous city in Wisconsin. So, maybe, the amount has to do with the population. Just a crazy thought.

Hm. What's different between now and 2016?

Well...

"These estimates are significantly higher than the actual costs of the 2016 recount, but they take into account factors not present four years ago, including the need for larger spaces to permit public observation and social distancing, security for those spaces, the higher number of absentee ballots, a compressed timeframe over a holiday, and renting high-speed ballot scanning equipment," Wolfe said.
Wisconsin recount would cost Trump campaign $7.9 million - CNNPolitics

There you go.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,303.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hillary Clinton never went for a recount in WI. That was Jill Stein. And they charged her 3.5 million up front. And that was before the state passed a bill adding recounts more expensive by making the person asking for the recount pay for what it cost the Election Commission to run the recount.

And the irony of Steins actions is that the end result was a few hundred votes more for both Hillary and Trump.

Upvote 0